2 dead motherboards in about a week. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

2 dead motherboards in about a week.

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
So I had my gigabyte z390 pro wifi that was running for over a year suddenly stop detecting my 9900k and my 9700k. So a bit of time goes by and I buy a used MSI z390-A pro for 75$ mostly to see if my CPUs aren't dead and I quickly confirmed they both work and have been tweaking in the bios a bit with my 9900k and just playing some games and benchmarking...mostly benchmarking as motivation for anything lately is scarce. But just running aida64 , cinebench mixed with 3dmark, the usual for OCing and stability testing.
A week of testing my nice patriot viper 4400cl19 kit I was getting about 36ns of latency and about 62,000 MBs read, write speed in aida64 running 4200cl16-16-16-36 at 1.5v vDim with the CPU @ 5ghz 1.36v with 1.2 vccsa and 1.1v vccio and with my loop being a 420mm not having a issue cooling my delidded 9900k and my shunt modded Titan X pascal in the past and temps were never above mid high 80C in benching and only hitting 75is in game when my water was 30C-35C on a bad day during gameplay.
So I wont keep rambling about details but I decided to try this option in the bios called "memory try it" or something like that and it erases my vDim ,vccsa and vccio and set them to 1.6vdim(which is fine I guess) BUT 1.4v on the others! So I give up and load my stated above settings from a profile and my performance was changed in a way I only recognize now that I think I learned the hard way never trust auto-OCing and what's too much on the memory controller.

Main reason I want to post this because the only sign I had that anything was wrong was my aida64 bandwidth dropped from 62,000 MBs to 50,000ish MBs and 36ns turned into on average 42.0ns at the same settings.
Clueless as to why I'm throttling without overheating and thinking my CPU is dead I plop in my 9700k and it only boot 5 times but running the same ram timings showed the same exact lower bandwidth and latency as my 9900k like a physical bottleneck. On the last boot I brought it to 1.3V 5ghz and BAM CPU red light. Just like what happened with my first gigabyte MoBo I remember the latency issues with that board too before I swapped the CPU and it shortly after died...
I'm not asking for a plzbro or something like that. It's obvious I have another dead motherboard that I pushed too far. If my CPUs are truly OK it'll have to wait till I get payed in about a week so I can buy a good board but has anyone had similar experience or simply know what exactly happened because I now see a pattern but doesnt quite add up what happened.
I thought that if my memory controller was degraded it would be my CPU that took the damage not the board and now it acts like there's no CPU.
Could this be a dying PSU, I've debated if it's possible my shunt modded Titan can kill it from the pci slot but I didn't mod that shunt I only put a .5 mohm on the top 2 rail shunts effectively halfing the power limit of those pins not the pci slots power and Ive been putting off undoing the mod because it's not the greatest for gaming...but yeah just wanted to share this experience and see what anyone thinks...as I now am running off a raspberry [email protected] GHz lol have I mentioned I enjoy overclocking

Last edited by Exile666; 07-24-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 03:33 PM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 60 (Unique: 54)
What PSU do u have?

Seems like ur pushing the memory pretty hard for an Intel CPU.

4K Rig
(7 items)
CPU
Intel 7700k @4.2ghz
GPU
Zotec 1080 Ti
RAM
16GB 3200mhz DDR4
Hard Drive
250GB nvme + 500GB SSD + 4TB HDD
Monitor
Samsung 4K 65 inch TV
Monitor
Pixio PX276 27inch 144Hz 1ms 1440p
Audio
Sound Blaster z
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 03:40 PM
The last VRM burner

Rep: 48 (Unique: 28)
Uh, that Z390 A-Pro has godawful VRM, you might as well killed the power delivery on that. Z390 from Gigabyte are very capable on the other hand, most likely a failure of a PSU you have.

PC for all
(23 items)
CPU
i7 5775c @4.2GHz/3.8GHz
Motherboard
MSI Z97 MPower
GPU
Iris Pro 6200 1300MHz
RAM
F3-2400C11D-16GAB Samsung Rev. Q
Hard Drive
Corsair MP510
Hard Drive
Samsung Evo 860
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus 750W
Cooling
Artcic Liquid Freezer II 360mm
Cooling
Front Arctic P14 PWM PST x2
Cooling
Top Arctic P14 x2
Cooling
Back Arctic P12
Case
LianLi 330X
Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit Pro
Monitor
Samsung C24FG73FQUX
Monitor
Benq GL2250 80Hz
Keyboard
Corsair Strafe Red Silent + 1.6x6mm o-rings
Mouse
SteelSeries Rival 600
Mouse
Tiger Gaming Arc teflon mouse feet
Mousepad
Artisan FX Raiden
Audio
Audio in Motion SC808 + MUSES8820 + 2x 2xLME49990
Audio
AKG M220
Other
NZXT Hue+
Other
Mayflash F300 Arcade Stick
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 03:51 PM
Facepalm

Rep: 463 (Unique: 321)
Quote: Originally Posted by Exile666 View Post
So I had my gigabyte z390 pro wifi that was running for over a year suddenly stop detecting my 9900k and my 9700k. So a bit of time goes by and I buy a used MSI z390-A pro for 75$ mostly to see if my CPUs aren't dead and I quickly confirmed they both work and have been tweaking in the bios a bit with my 9900k and just playing some games and benchmarking...mostly benchmarking as motivation for anything lately is scarce. But just running aida64 , cinebench mixed with 3dmark, the usual for OCing and stability testing.
A week of testing my nice patriot viper 4400cl19 kit I was getting about 36ns of latency and about 62,000 MBs read, write speed in aida64 running 4200cl16-16-16-36 at 1.5v vDim with the CPU @ 5ghz 1.36v with 1.2 vccsa and 1.1v vccio and with my loop being a 420mm not having a issue cooling my delidded 9900k and my shunt modded Titan X pascal in the past and temps were never above mid high 80C in benching and only hitting 75is in game when my water was 30C-35C on a bad day during gameplay.
So I wont keep rambling about details but I decided to try this option in the bios called "memory try it" or something like that and it erases my vDim ,vccsa and vccio and set them to 1.6vdim(which is fine I guess) BUT 1.4v on the others! So I give up and load my stated above settings from a profile and my performance was changed in a way I only recognize now that I think I learned the hard way never trust auto-OCing and what's too much on the memory controller.

Main reason I want to post this because the only sign I had that anything was wrong was my aida64 bandwidth dropped from 62,000 MBs to 50,000ish MBs and 36ns turned into on average 42.0ns at the same settings.
Clueless as to why I'm throttling without overheating and thinking my CPU is dead I plop in my 9700k and it only boot 5 times but running the same ram timings showed the same exact lower bandwidth and latency as my 9900k like a physical bottleneck. On the last boot I brought it to 1.3V 5ghz and BAM CPU red light. Just like what happened with my first gigabyte MoBo I remember the latency issues with that board too before I swapped the CPU and it shortly after died...
I'm not asking for a plzbro or something like that. It's obvious I have another dead motherboard that I pushed too far. If my CPUs are truly OK it'll have to wait till I get payed in about a week so I can buy a good board but has anyone had similar experience or simply know what exactly happened because I now see a pattern but doesnt quite add up what happened.
I thought that if my memory controller was degraded it would be my CPU that took the damage not the board and now it acts like there's no CPU.
Could this be a dying PSU, I've debated if it's possible my shunt modded Titan can kill it from the pci slot but I didn't mod that shunt I only put a .5 mohm on the top 2 rail shunts effectively halfing the power limit of those pins not the pci slots power and Ive been putting off undoing the mod because it's not the greatest for gaming...but yeah just wanted to share this experience and see what anyone thinks...as I now am running off a raspberry [email protected] GHz lol have I mentioned I enjoy overclocking
Your CPU isn't dead. You need to do a deep cmos clear. Unplug the power supply from the plug or flip the PSU switch off, wait 30 seconds (this lets the motherboard drain residual power), then press the onboard clear CMOS button or short (with a jumper block if you have one onboard, or a screwdriver or metal knife edge), the clear cmos jumper pins (ALL boards have the jumper pins) for 20 seconds (not a press and release but continuous button press or jumper block short), then remove the short. Then plug the power supply back in and power on.

Sometimes things can get so messed up that even a clear CMOS fails but it is VERY VERY unlikely a "deep" clear CMOS would fail unless the BIOS chip were totally corrupted. One trick which has restored some "partially corrupted" Bioses, is to *REMOVE* the CPU from the socket, try to power on with no CPU at all, then power off again, then reinsert the CPU carefully, heatsink/thermal paste, etc, and then power on.

[email protected] ghz, RX Vega 64, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Aorus Master, Seasonic Platinum 1000W, Corsair 760T
Alt: MSI GT73VR Throttlebook with 7820HK @ 4.7 ghz, GTX 1070 MXM TDP mod to 230W, 32 GB RAM

Quote: Originally Posted by sakete View Post
Well, I want you to know I have an academic degree in speculation.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 04:04 PM
Graphics Junkie

Rep: 60 (Unique: 54)
Quote: Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
Your CPU isn't dead. You need to do a deep cmos clear. Unplug the power supply from the plug or flip the PSU switch off, wait 30 seconds (this lets the motherboard drain residual power), then press the onboard clear CMOS button or short (with a jumper block if you have one onboard, or a screwdriver or metal knife edge), the clear cmos jumper pins (ALL boards have the jumper pins) for 20 seconds (not a press and release but continuous button press or jumper block short), then remove the short. Then plug the power supply back in and power on.

Sometimes things can get so messed up that even a clear CMOS fails but it is VERY VERY unlikely a "deep" clear CMOS would fail unless the BIOS chip were totally corrupted. One trick which has restored some "partially corrupted" Bioses, is to *REMOVE* the CPU from the socket, try to power on with no CPU at all, then power off again, then reinsert the CPU carefully, heatsink/thermal paste, etc, and then power on.
I will second this. There have definitely been times when I thought a board was dead but doing a power cycle, or what you call a deep bios clearing, fixed the issue. I have also had times when reseating the CPU fixed similar issues.

Basically you don't know for sure any hardware is dead until you have almost reassembled everything to do with the motherboard.

Also some boards have built in dual bios fail safes that can be activated by holding the power button in a certain sequence. Gigabyte is know for this.

4K Rig
(7 items)
CPU
Intel 7700k @4.2ghz
GPU
Zotec 1080 Ti
RAM
16GB 3200mhz DDR4
Hard Drive
250GB nvme + 500GB SSD + 4TB HDD
Monitor
Samsung 4K 65 inch TV
Monitor
Pixio PX276 27inch 144Hz 1ms 1440p
Audio
Sound Blaster z
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I have a OCZ-Z1000M for a 1000w it's been rather good to me but I've had it for quiet a while and even then I got it second hand. As for the bios reset. That was the first thing I did. These boards are dead as doornails besides turning my pump and fans on. But yeah I didn't expect much from this board but to die so quickly where I was pushing my gigabyte board And it would take way more being thrown at it. Although I never threw more than 1.3v on vccsa/vccio on the gigabyte board

Last edited by Exile666; 07-24-2020 at 04:17 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 08:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

ive made the same experience with my Aorus z390 ELITE Gskill 3200mhz cl16 and 9700K !!! Red CPU light after changing some subtimings because of XMP instability with my Gskil.
i used Aida64 too and the ASrock Timing Configurator.
I was on Desktop and doin some stuff as suddenly the pc fully shuts down without bluescreen. After this bootloop with CPU red light.

i had done every cmos reset scenario u can imagine but nothing helps. i reseated cpu - no luck - i putted the cpu in a MSI z390 Gaming Pro Carbon but no boot.
I bought a used Aorus PRO wifi and a new 9700k and for now i will never touch these settings again. costs me 600 bugs
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by sebborrr View Post
ive made the same experience with my Aorus z390 ELITE Gskill 3200mhz cl16 and 9700K !!! Red CPU light after changing some subtimings because of XMP instability with my Gskil.
i used Aida64 too and the ASrock Timing Configurator.
I was on Desktop and doin some stuff as suddenly the pc fully shuts down without bluescreen. After this bootloop with CPU red light.

i had done every cmos reset scenario u can imagine but nothing helps. i reseated cpu - no luck - i putted the cpu in a MSI z390 Gaming Pro Carbon but no boot.
I bought a used Aorus PRO wifi and a new 9700k and for now i will never touch these settings again. costs me 600 bugs

Sounds about the same. I've tried CPU swapping , bios reset and no change. Did you happen to leave vccsa and vccio on auto or what were you setting for those because my patriot viper kit tries to default to 1.39 on both. Which that could explain your case more than just changing the timing. My understanding with those voltages is never trust auto and don't go higher that 1.25v and 1.3v is probably not even worth it in terms of risk vs profit.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 09:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

i fixed the vccsa and vccio to 1.15 and 1.2. On Auto they are around 1.25 and 1.28. DDR4Voltage is higher too on Auto (1.38) so i fixed it to 1.35 too. i dont know why my mb and cpu died! did nothing wrong. what i can say is that my ddr became unstable because i putted in 2x8gb to raise my 2x8 to 4x8
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by sebborrr View Post
i fixed the vccsa and vccio to 1.15 and 1.2. On Auto they are around 1.25 and 1.28. DDR4Voltage is higher too on Auto (1.38) so i fixed it to 1.35 too. i dont know why my mb and cpu died! did nothing wrong. what i can say is that my ddr became unstable because i putted in 2x8gb to raise my 2x8 to 4x8
What was your CPU overclocked to? And what LLC ? I delid my CPUs and use liquid metal with the direct die bracket directly to my nickel nickel water block. A bit extreme but I could run 5.1 GHz on my gigabyte aorus pro wifi. I always ran 4 sticks and usually ends up @ 1.45-1.5v and never had an issue besides ones I caused with ram timings but tertiary timings were a pain. Bit I did notice once I was really pushing the ram my CPU would consume more power and could push it too hot. Not sure since I am by far the best with memory but it interests me and what can be achieved. Did you torture test it to see what happened? Not sure what your climate is like but this summer was brutal on my stability. Perhaps it pushed the power delivery over the edge. And have you actually checked if your CPU is dead with a different board? My CPUs were ok after my boards stopped recognizing it. All I get is CPU error light.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in