=The Official ASUS P6T Series Motherboard Owners Club= - Page 41 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

=The Official ASUS P6T Series Motherboard Owners Club=

post #401 of 449 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 09:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Memory

Hi guys,

I still have one system running with a p6T Deluxe v1.
There has always been a problem on this board since I tried putting a air cooler on and screwing it down caused two of the memory slots to simply not register.
Even sent it back and the new on did exactly the same.

Anyway long story short I switched to H80 liquid and at some point later I found that I could use those slots so I put 2x4 Dominators and the 2x2 older dominators I had giving me 12GB

So a few years and many games later the H80 got blocked and the temps went sky high - to tmax and shut down. I managed to clear it but temps weren't good and I started getting odd unstable behaviour every now and then. Thought something got damaged maybe.

New cooler fitted and system running very very cool but noticed only 4GB ram. Hmm the 2 slots that used to be a problem then worked are now not recording anything. I had them in the optimal position according to the manual so the 4GB go into the good slots and the other 2x2 move to b1+b2 Not optimal and a cost to performance but I get my 12GB back and I've not idea if this will be flakey or not I have to do some cpu intensive stuff or rather play a Ghost recon
What seems to have caused the instability after the overheat was probably the dicey slots just coming up to bite me again. I ran with 8GB and so far no crashes.

So now (if you didn't fall asleep by now) the question:
The best option is to get what I want 16GB would be fine is to use just the slots that work and 2 sticks - (never bothered with tri-channel and won't now) in the slots I know are fine A1+A2: I am not sure about what ddr3 to get as the manual says that it won't support 128mb chip make-up but this is rarely seen in the specs. The other is 8GB is supposedly not supported for single sticks but many appear to have used them ok.

I did fit the xeon x5650 so maybe this helps. I see on Amazon right now Kingston HyperX-Fury 240 pin 8GB 1.5v Are these likely to be ok for my system?

.. and sorry for the ramble

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #402 of 449 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 03:46 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote: Originally Posted by LouisCar View Post
Hi guys,

I did fit the xeon x5650 so maybe this helps. I see on Amazon right now Kingston HyperX-Fury 240 pin 8GB 1.5v Are these likely to be ok for my system?

.. and sorry for the ramble
just get a cheapest 2x8 gb you can find on ebay. it is hard to get not working ddr3 stick even after few years of work.
post #403 of 449 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 01:50 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Quote: Originally Posted by ms178 View Post
Hey guys! This is a short introduction to my mod for my Asus P6T Deluxe V2 which I have crossflashed with a modded P6X58D-E BIOS. This allows me to use a much newer Intel Option Rom (OROM) for my 2 x 2TB SSHDs in RAID-0 and contains the option to use a voltage offset (which the original BIOS did not have). Thus I am now able to use my Xeon E5645 @ 2.4 Ghz @ 1.03 V at idle (runs @ 3.8 Ghz @ 1.18 V under load). Also thanks to the new OROM I get better results for my SSHDs. Use it at your own risk, you'll find the necessary tools here : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...mt1b201Q1RQS00

(Update As I have upgraded my CPU to a X5650, I have also uploaded a modified P6TWS Pro BIOS with the newest Microcode, but with an older 10.x Intel Option ROM with TRIM support though.

Advantages: 1) High TDP lets you overclock beyond the TDP limit of your CPU, 2) Turbo mode can be disabled, 3) unbuffered ECC-RAM support (works with the other BIOS in non-ECC mode as well)

Disadvantages: 1) No dynamic voltage regulation, 2) no newer Intel Option Roms beyond 10.x, 3) Firewire does not work

What's new?
mod153mc2.rom

- much newer Microcode (from June/August 2015) for Nehalem and Westmere CPUs (CPUID: 06A4, 06A5 and 06C2), deleted support for engineering samples (CPUID: 06A0 and 06C0)
- Intel Option ROM: 8086-2822_v15032675.bin (tested and works with my 2x 2 TB SSHD RAID-0, also got it to work with the newer 8086-2822_v15102545.bin and versions below, all OROMs newer than that fail to load the RAID array due to size)
- deleted the ASUS splash screen

The mod153mc3 version contains all of the above and additionally uses a modified Marvell LAN Option ROM (same version 11ab-4380_v66813.bin) which is untested and might not work due to size.

What is known not to work?
- the top PCIe x4 slot doesn't work anymore
- ASUS Express Gate is recognized as a *HiSpeed* USB Mass Storage Device, which can be disabled in Windows
- the CPU TURBO cannot be disabled

Flashing process:
Assuming you are currently on the stock BIOS of your P6T Deluxe V2, you'll need to flash the new P6X58D-E BIOS with an engineering version of AFUDOS. EZFlash won't accept it! The file provided here is AFU236U.exe and will do the job.

1.) You'll need a bootable USB stick with the aforementioned AFUDOS version and the BIOS file. Make sure that it runs in HIGHMEM mode or you'll get an error while trying to flash the BIOS. Some USB-Boot-Tools fail to do so.

2.) Assuming you are in the right directory where the files are located type the following into the command prompt (*it promptly will start the flashing process without further warning*)

afu236u /iBIOSFILE /pbnc /n

Notice that there is no space between the /i and the name of the BIOS file.

3.) After restart, you should be greeted with the new BIOS.

*updated the NON-working part*
ok all right, i tested this mod to see if the update of microcode fix the "Intel VT-d" bug in the win 10 1803 release for this motherboard
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...=1526165636528
can you add a new version can fix it?
I tested your updated release: mod155.rom i see a problems as descrived, can't overclock the dram frecuency, of course can't put my modules at 1600mhz, now works at 1200 aprox, is not posible to overclock?
adventages: i can see that disk io performace has increased, and lot of system performance...
good work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #404 of 449 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 02:30 PM
Enthusiast

Quote: Originally Posted by modma View Post
ok all right, i tested this mod to see if the update of microcode fix the "Intel VT-d" bug in the win 10 1803 release for this motherboard
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...=1526165636528
can you add a new version can fix it?
I tested your updated release: mod155.rom i see a problems as descrived, can't overclock the dram frecuency, of course can't put my modules at 1600mhz, now works at 1200 aprox, is not posible to overclock?
adventages: i can see that disk io performace has increased, and lot of system performance...
good work!
Thanks for trying it out! The mod155.rom (as well as the P6TWS3.rom) from April 15th already include the 1E-Microcode for Westmere but not for Nehalem (if I remember correctly, because the Microcode file I had threw an error) even though it stills reads 1D within the BIOS (btw. Windows 10 1803 includes the newer Microcode as well). As I always leave VT-d disabled, I wasn't exposed to this bug you mentioned, but I had a lot of issues with the 10.X RAID ROM and the newer 15.X RST drivers Windows 10 1803 wants to install by default... it does work with the 15.X OROM of the P6X58D-E BIOS though. With the older OROM on the P6T WS PRO BIOS, I need to load the 13.X RST driver before touching any of my RAID partititions in the setup.

All in all, I guess that VT-d bug of yours is on ASUS, Intel or Microsoft to fix. Sorry, my modding capabilities are limited to inserting new modules in MMTool; I could try to find a new Nehalem-Microcode file which hopefully could be inserted. But this will take some time...

By the way, the yet unreleased Spectre-NG issues will need even newer Microcode from Intel, it was mentioned they will begin shipping these in May, but this could get postponed.

Overclocking the RAM to 1600 MHz should be possible (I can get 200 Mhz BCLK with the P6TWS BIOS). But it depends on your settings and hardware. The P6X58D-E BIOS does not run well with my X5650 tough and can't get anything above 170 Mhz BCLK stable.

Last edited by ms178; 05-13-2018 at 02:45 PM.
post #405 of 449 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 05:33 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Thanks for trying it out! The mod155.rom (as well as the P6TWS3.rom) from April 15th already include the 1E-Microcode for Westmere but not for Nehalem (if I remember correctly, because the Microcode file I had threw an error) even though it stills reads 1D within the BIOS (btw. Windows 10 1803 includes the newer Microcode as well). As I always leave VT-d disabled, I wasn't exposed to this bug you mentioned, but I had a lot of issues with the 10.X RAID ROM and the newer 15.X RST drivers Windows 10 1803 wants to install by default... it does work with the 15.X OROM of the P6X58D-E BIOS though. With the older OROM on the P6T WS PRO BIOS, I need to load the 13.X RST driver before touching any of my RAID partititions in the setup.

All in all, I guess that VT-d bug of yours is on ASUS, Intel or Microsoft to fix. Sorry, my modding capabilities are limited to inserting new modules in MMTool; I could try to find a new Nehalem-Microcode file which hopefully could be inserted. But this will take some time...

By the way, the yet unreleased Spectre-NG issues will need even newer Microcode from Intel, it was mentioned they will begin shipping these in May, but this could get postponed.

Overclocking the RAM to 1600 MHz should be possible (I can get 200 Mhz BCLK with the P6TWS BIOS). But it depends on your settings and hardware. The P6X58D-E BIOS does not run well with my X5650 tough and can't get anything above 170 Mhz BCLK stable.
i try to overclock installing back epu6 engine, because in this bios edition can't sucess as same parameters i used in old bios, i think that maybe have good results, maybe post it. EDITING: yes works very well by the moment (the installation has a horror)

a error found in the bios i show after 3 hours a USB drive called DVMUSB (FAT of 487mb) that express gate uses, in forums says that is a bug of old bios versions

the virtualization bug is a ms bug, but curiuosly only affects to this motherboard family...
thanks and not worry, if you discover the problem of VT-d, (this disable the direct access memory to virtualization, hyper v sucks to start in boot time, LoL)
microsoft is alltime the problem (in my old laptop in 2 editions of win10, the robson memory cache causes system no boot in windows logo, and i disabled too to use win10) and fix for or improve in bios or a good solution (disable ), yours efforts are welcome!

I will be aware of progress here, thanks one more time!

Last edited by modma; 05-26-2018 at 03:28 AM.
post #406 of 449 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 03:20 PM
Linux Lobbyist

confirmed: this bug for this board series in w10-1803 is fixed today in https://support.microsoft.com/es-es/...date-kb4284835

after install via windows update, can renable vt-d in bios
post #407 of 449 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 11:31 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Quote: Originally Posted by modma View Post
confirmed: this bug for this board series in w10-1803 is fixed today in https://support.microsoft.com/es-es/...date-kb4284835

after install via windows update, can renable vt-d in bios
Still an issue with P6T Deluxe, even with this update, system wont boot if vt-d is enabled in the BIOS

Last edited by PurSpyk; 06-16-2018 at 10:50 AM.
post #408 of 449 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 04:13 PM
Enthusiast

Exclamation Microcode updated

Hey guys! This is a short introduction to my mod for my Asus P6T Deluxe V2 which I have crossflashed with a modded P6X58D-E BIOS. This allows me to use a much newer Intel Option Rom (OROM) for my 2 x 2TB SSHDs in RAID-0 and contains the option to use a voltage offset (which the original BIOS did not have). Thus I am now able to use my Xeon E5645 @ 2.4 Ghz @ 1.03 V at idle (runs @ 3.8 Ghz @ 1.18 V under load). Also thanks to the new OROM I get better results for my SSHDs. Use it at your own risk, you'll find the necessary tools here : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...mt1b201Q1RQS00

(Update As I have upgraded my CPU to a X5650, I have also uploaded a modified P6TWS Pro BIOS with the newest Microcode, but with an older 10.x Intel Option ROM with TRIM support though.

Advantages: 1) High TDP lets you overclock beyond the TDP limit of your CPU, 2) Turbo mode can be disabled, 3) unbuffered ECC-RAM support (works with the other BIOS in non-ECC mode as well)

Disadvantages: 1) No dynamic voltage regulation, 2) no newer Intel Option Roms beyond 10.x, 3) Firewire does not work

What's new?
mod153mc2.rom

- much newer Microcode (from June/August 2015) for Nehalem and Westmere CPUs (CPUID: 06A4, 06A5 and 06C2), deleted support for engineering samples (CPUID: 06A0 and 06C0)
- Intel Option ROM: 8086-2822_v15032675.bin (tested and works with my 2x 2 TB SSHD RAID-0, also got it to work with the newer 8086-2822_v15102545.bin and versions below, all OROMs newer than that fail to load the RAID array due to size)
- deleted the ASUS splash screen

The mod153mc3 version contains all of the above and additionally uses a modified Marvell LAN Option ROM (same version 11ab-4380_v66813.bin) which is untested and might not work due to size.

What is known not to work?
- the top PCIe x4 slot doesn't work anymore
- ASUS Express Gate is recognized as a *HiSpeed* USB Mass Storage Device, which can be disabled in Windows
- the CPU TURBO cannot be disabled

Flashing process:
Assuming you are currently on the stock BIOS of your P6T Deluxe V2, you'll need to flash the new P6X58D-E BIOS with an engineering version of AFUDOS. EZFlash won't accept it! The file provided here is AFU236U.exe and will do the job.

1.) You'll need a bootable USB stick with the aforementioned AFUDOS version and the BIOS file. Make sure that it runs in HIGHMEM mode or you'll get an error while trying to flash the BIOS. Some USB-Boot-Tools fail to do so.

2.) Assuming you are in the right directory where the files are located type the following into the command prompt (*it promptly will start the flashing process without further warning*)

afu236u /iBIOSFILE /pbnc /n

Notice that there is no space between the /i and the name of the BIOS file.

3.) After restart, you should be greeted with the new BIOS.

*updated both BIOS files with new Microcode for Nehalem and Westmere from May 2018* --> mod156 for the P6X58D-E / the p6tws4 for that board.
Hey guys, as promised, I've updated my BIOS mods with the latest Intel Microcode for Nehalem and Westmere which were released last week. The Microcode itself is from May 2018 and will be integrated soon into Windows and Linux. It still says 1D in the CPU BIOS section for Westmere, but I've just confirmed in Windows that it is indeed 1F as it should (as was also the case with the previous 1E).
post #409 of 449 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 05:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

So this likely also means you have the Spectre patch included. Do you have a reference as to how you injected the microcode. I run a xeon westmere 5650 on an x58 sabertooth board. Interested in doing something similar.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk
post #410 of 449 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 07:33 PM
B10S TInk3r

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
@bacon612 - Use MMTool 3.19-3.26 to update X58 Sabertooth microcode, CPU Patch last tab on right side is the microcodes, remove old then insert new and save as new file.
You can also use same tool, on 4th tab, extract P6 microcode section hex edit in your new microcodes, then reinsert via 1st insert tab. The first method above standard method, unless issues presented cause a need for this method.

If you run into issues let me know and I can do the update for you.

Here is mod on 1402, if you'd rather not do yourself, or you'd like to compare your work with another already modified BIOS
Spoiler!

Last edited by HelpDatBIOS; 07-11-2018 at 08:06 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in