What is the best P4 chip to overclock? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

What is the best P4 chip to overclock?

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
i have a 2.8G now overclocked to 20% with my asus p4p800 SE board. the temp is 37-40C i got a loan of a P4 3.06 from a friend and it runs hot does all chips higher then P4 2.8 run hot?? I wanna get a bigger chip and over clock that one but not a 3.06 cause it was running verry hot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 10:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmpayne
i have a 2.8G now overclocked to 20% with my asus p4p800 SE board. the temp is 37-40C i got a loan of a P4 3.06 from a friend and it runs hot does all chips higher then P4 2.8 run hot?? I wanna get a bigger chip and over clock that one but not a 3.06 cause it was running verry hot
I believe that the faster the clock speed, the more heat there is....so if you get a faster cpu, you might have to get a new heatsink/fan...

Just my $.02
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 01:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 297 (Unique: 183)
Quote:
How much hotter?

As you go up in speed the chip will run hotter, a good quality fan will help maintain the temp.

Anytime you you overclock a processor or anything for that matter, it will generate more heat than stock. Overclocked processor's need a better fan than what it came with. Depending on what fan you currently have, it may be big enough to handle a faster processor. If you are still using the stock fan that came with the processor than you need to upgrade the fan if you plan on overclocking or getting a faster processor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 06:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 26 (Unique: 14)
Is the borrowed 3.0 cpu a prescott? That would explain any large bounds in the heat output.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 09:05 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 472 (Unique: 266)
Quote:
All CPU's run basically the same at stock, in any given categorie, that is. All Northwoods run about the same stock, all Prescotts run about the same stock, etc etc. While pushin more hz through a processor will cause heat increase, upping vcore (which is necessary for maintaing stability at higher clock speess) further adds to the heat factor. If you're looking to upgrade, and temps are a concern for you (which they should be for anyone OC'ing ), then I would recommend an 800 mhz FSB Northwood. Going with something in the 3.0-3.2 (or even 3.4, if ya got the $ ) will give you substantial performance improvements over you current 2.8, plus give you HyperThreading. At the same time, the Northwoods run cooler on average than the Prescotts. I would still recommend some better-than-stock cooling (like these guys said) for your OC'ing endeavors.

What mobo do you have, rcmpayne? Depending on the chipset, going to a 800 mhz FSB CPU might offer additional performance gains, above and beyond what I've already mentioned, that might further help in your decision to upgrade.

Intel Overclocking Guide
RAM 101 (Intel systems in particular)

All statements, posts, recommendations, etc. are my 2cents.gif. Sometimes they're worth a nickel, sometimes they're worth a penny, but I always do my best to at least ensure that my opinions are educated ones. smile.gif
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 03:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 51 (Unique: 23)
I know why it runs hotter
  1. It's got a higher clock, compare 2.80ghz to 3.06ghz, 260mhz difference
  2. Compare [email protected]=3.06ghz to [email protected]=2.80ghz
See what i mean.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2004, 10:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

All the 3.0's I've seen are have a 15x multiplier, not 23, unless it's an engineering sample with an unlocked multi.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 06:30 AM
Retired Staff

^The 3.06 is a 533 mhz FSB CPU...therefore 23x multiplier.

^^AFAIK, all CPU's of the same type run about the same temps at stock. I.E all northwoods, in similar conditions will produce around the same temps at stock, regardless of speed.

Intel Overclocking Guide

All statements, posts, recommendations, etc. are my 2cents.gif. Sometimes they're worth a nickel, sometimes they're worth a penny, but I always do my best to at least ensure that my opinions are educated ones. smile.gif
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 06:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Ah, 3.06. Now I see. But aren't they discontinued? I only remember them being sold for a short time.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2004, 07:05 AM
Retired Staff

Newegg's still got 'em. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...116-155&depa=0. Also worth of note, the 3.06 is the only 533 mhz FSB CPU with Hyper Threading.

IDK if they're discontinued, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Intel Overclocking Guide

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in