* The "Official" Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R/UD5/UD7/UD9 Owner's Club * - Page 387 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

* The "Official" Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R/UD5/UD7/UD9 Owner's Club *

post #3861 of 3896 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 06:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 31 (Unique: 28)
Quote: Originally Posted by HelpDatBIOS View Post
Because maybe they were slightly bent before and you didn't notice. The CPU socket is under extreme pressure once you lock it down

I meant the memory are very different, probably not even same brand. Usually memory IC's are only sold for short periods, buying same module a year apart 3 times almost guarantees none of them have the same IC chips under the hood.
I don't see this as a huge issue, I was only stating the fact on that, since you were already mixing memory and the one kit is really mixed itself too. Discussing the variables with you is all.

For 3x2GB auto everything may be OK or set to stock. For the other kit 6x8GB, or all together it's definitely not especially on QPI/Vtt voltage.

Set QPI/Vtt voltage 1.2, set memory voltage to 1.55. Often you get less than what you set and X58 was not designed for 1.5v memory, and it's probably giving you only 1.46-1.48 actual voltage anyway, then test with the 3x2GB kit and test again.

You still have not said what BIOS you are on either, please let us know, older BIOS may have issues directly relating to this that is fixed now in latest BIOS.

Running whatever the latest BIOS, FH I think, since it hasnt updated since 2012.

So you are saying that a pin can bent after a month of use without showing anything?

As I said if I just run one stick at DIMM0, it is fine. But one stick in DIMM2 and DIMM4 with the same setting, it gives error. So it is not a voltage issue but a hardware wise

Canon T3i/600D | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens | Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8 Lens | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Lens ART
YongNuo YN568EX | 2 x YN622C

Nikon FG | 50mm f/1.8 Series E

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3862 of 3896 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 10:11 PM
B10S TInk3r

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Yes, that is possible about the bent pin showing up after a while, remember it's all under very high pressure, sometimes if damaged slightly, or slightly out of place, that pressure might final make it bend out of connection or move slightly more.
I's best to check, and let someone else check too, instead of wandering about issues for so long before later finding out it was that.

Have you already, if not, can you test you memory sticks one by one on another computer, to rule each of those out? Test each one over night with memtest86+
And for now, until you figure out the problem, I would not use the 8GB memory sticks, they are not made for this system thus by default would not have anywhere near the correct defaults for X58 (Mainly at tRFC and tFAW)

There is BIOS FF1 on the site, and I have FF3 if you want to try the very latest BIOS that would have all the most up to date improvements and fixes for issues. I would suggest FF3, with updated CPU microcodes put in at the very minimum.
Don't say "I don't want to use beta" that is only left in that state due to age BIOS development was abandoned and those should be considered final anyway otherwise they would be pulled out of beta state due to bugs reports way back then.
This should especially apply now since it's 10 years later and you want to try and use non x58 memory with the board, and are having issues you can't figure out. Ruling out BIOS related bugs would be first thing to check, after confirming no bent CPU socket pins.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...upport-dl-bios

I'm not sure what you're calling DIMM0? DDR3_1 (first white nearest to CPU) should be the first slot to be used, and only that slot if one stick is to be used/tested. Slots 2 and 4 should not be used at all unless DDR3_1 and DDR3_3 are filled and this would only be dual channel.
White slots first, and only, until 3 sticks are used for triple channel, then you may use the blue slots, otherwise you can have memory related issues such as you are seeing now, this is by design.
post #3863 of 3896 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 05:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Can you explain in details why would a pin under high but constant pressure will bent? If a sumo wrestler sit on top of you, you can hardly move. And once the sumo wrestler settles and doesnt move, assuming your bones are strong, your bone wouldnt break. Is only when the sumo wrestler in the act of sitting on you, when force is applied, you have a chance of break a bone. Once the force reach equilibrium it remains in equilibrium until some other force act upon it. This is what I am not understanding.

Yes I checked each stick, each pair, and all three/six together in another system and there were no error. Both the 3x2GB and 6x8GB.

The FH, which I have, is the latest.

I used 0-5 numbering system instead of 1-6 numbering system. Just shift everything by 1.

So last night, I finally have time to take my system out of the case and disconnect everything. Put the motherboard on a cardboard box, change the GPU to something that dont required 6/8pins so I dont have to deal with extra wires, use external fan. I also checked for bent pins while I am at it and found none. And no, I didnt ask anyone else to check since there were any tech savvy people at the time.
First, test a stick of 2GB in the DDR3_3 (using manual naming) and it didnt give me any error. Previously it did in the case.
Second, test the same stick in the DDR3_5 (using manual naming) and it didnt give me any error. Previously it did in the case.
Then, since I was going to bed, I put in the 6 sticks of 8GB and in the morning it gave me errors.
So now, I am testing DDR3_5 and DDR3_6 (using manual naming) using 2 sticks of 2GB and will do the same for DDR3_3 and DDR3_4 (using manual naming).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	34
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	213500  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-08-21 08.32.51.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	3.61 MB
ID:	213502  

Canon T3i/600D | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens | Tokina AT-X 116 PRO DX-II 11-16mm f/2.8 Lens | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Lens ART

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3864 of 3896 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 11:02 PM
B10S TInk3r

No, if you don't want to believe me I can't help you, I can't explain it anymore than I already have. I will explain your example though, if a Sumo wrestler is sitting on your cracked rib, but it didn't break right when he sat down, it will eventually and usually sooner rather than later.

Sorry for the BIOS confusion, I looked back to see which board you had and missed your UD3R and though your post was nhphuong's that was UD5

Great you attached some images, but where is the several images of the CPU socket pins I've been asking for? Please take from a few angles, thanks!

No memory stick should be used in slots DDR3_2, unless DDR3_1, DDR3_3 and DDR3_4 are filled already.
Memory should only be used in DDR3_5 or DDR3_6 in certain scenarios (last two slots by 24 pin), unless either 1, 3 are filled too (other two white) then you can put one in DDR3_5.
Or if you are using 4 modules in triple channel and than would be 1, 2, 3, 5 (As labeled)
Or when all slots are filled already and then last blue slot would be DDR3_6 filled with last module.

Any of the 8GB sticks are going to give you problems unless you set things manually, since they are not designed for X58 chipset (ie 10 year old chipset).
Mainly the problem settings would be tRFC and tFAW (both would be set too low by auto or XMP for use with X58 chipset, especially tRFC), tRRD may also need loosened auto is apply 6 or 7 by default.
This is due to the default SPD timings would be very different for the modern chipsets those are designed for. Please show me an image of CPU-z SPD tab for one of the 8GB sticks, or AIDA64 SPD with one of them selected (And spread out the value area so I can read all settings)
If you do not have AIDA64, HWinfo64 is free and will be just as good, scroll down so I can see all the profiles and settings on the SPD section for one of the modules.

And for the 8GB sticks you would also need to adjust voltages as mentioned before, auto will give either too high or too low for QPI/Vtt (you can see current applied QPI/Vtt voltage with Easytune).
I cannot remember if HWINfo will show you this voltage, but I don't think so, BIOS will not show actual (grayed value you see is not applied voltage)

If you do not want to do this, voltage changes and sending images etc, I can't continue to try and help you with these modules.
If this is the case, please test only the 3x2GB sticks in the white slots since those were designed for this board I can help you on those without having to see all that I asked above.

Also, since you are using unsupported CPU in BIOS that has old microcodes in it, I suggest you upgrade to a BIOS with updated CPU microcodes.
Here, I posted updated one with 2015 microcodes in it long ago for someone else here but I can't find the page, so here is new upload (Flash with Qflash or FlashSPI, do not flash with @BIOS)
X58A-UD3R-R2-FH-Mod

In the end, it very well could also be a faulty or weaker memory controller in your Xeon vs your old 930, but I bet it can be addressed to stability with proper settings.
They do have different memory controllers, and different uncore properties too, all this affects how memory runs and memory stability/instability.

Last edited by HelpDatBIOS; 08-21-2018 at 11:15 PM.
post #3865 of 3896 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 04:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

Cracked and bent are two completely different things. You can easily fix a bent blade but not a cracked blade.

For memory, how would you test the slots? Many people, on this forum as well as other places, suggest you test one slot at a time. Thus, after you finished testing DDR3_1, you will only test DDR3_3, then only DDR3_5. Since the board cannot post if the only occupied slot are the evens, you are forced to test 2 slots at a time for the evens, thus DDR3_1 + DDR3_2, DDR3_3 + DDR3_4, and DDR3_5 + DDR3_6.
But what you saying is you can only test DDR3_1, then DDR3_1+DDR3_3, then DDR3_1+DDR3_3+DDR3_5, etc.

Updated:
After testing DDR3_5 + DDR3_6 and DDR3_3 + DDR3_4 with no errors, I put back the 6x8GB and test overnight. Now that after 2 passes, there are still no error. Probably going to leave it to test until I get back home from work.
I am thinking now that maybe the solder on the memory slots are oxidized so when I remove and put back the sticks and moved the slots and make a better connection

post #3866 of 3896 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 10:20 AM
B10S TInk3r

Semantics, and you can fix a cracked blade (?) too, depending on material glue or solder or etc..... show me some images so I can check please.
I'm trying to help, you seem to be trying to avoid help while asking for help, what gives? Anyway, without checking these images we might spend another few weeks before I finally talk you into it, then once you do we see 2-3 bent pins and it was that all along.
I have seen many people look, double and triple check and see nothing "no bent pins", then show me images and I find several bent pins, or several out of alignment etc.

Testing one slot at a time is difficult on X58 due to how it is designed, if you are wanting to test slots I would first let someone else look at your CPU socket pins
Then I would follow the manufacturers layout of per module per slot, if you need to test slots 5+6 as labeled, then you must first populate the other slots per the PDF's rules.
So yes, as you mentioned, with X58 and certain slots, you cannot test until after other slots are filled. This is a given due to chipset design specifications.

Could have been dirty memory gold fingers, clean them all up with some high proof alc and cotton or paper towel then let dry for a few minutes.
Don't try to clean memory slot pins or you may catch something on them and bend out of place, unless you have very light strength long plastic fiber brush, then you can dip that in alc and clean those too if you wanted.

Last edited by HelpDatBIOS; 08-22-2018 at 10:23 AM.
post #3867 of 3896 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 08:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

I said "You can EASILY fix a bent blade but not a cracked blade." Bent blade - just bent it straight again. Cracked blade - need to reforged. Which one is easier?

You know not everyone has time to keep taking the heatsink off, clean it, reapply paste and attached the heatsink back on. Lets alone take photos of the pins.

Another update:
I have children coming over tomorrow so I put everything back into the case and run memtest. And it failed. Now need to wait until the children are cleared before anymore testing. And no, I did not forget the standoff since the case come with preinstall and cannot be removed

Back to my original question, BESIDE BENT PINS, what other places should I check on the motherboard? None of the caps seems to be leaking or exploded. What other things I should do?

Last edited by TLCH723; 08-22-2018 at 08:48 PM.
post #3868 of 3896 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 09:41 PM
B10S TInk3r

I never mentioned blade at all, you did, take that For your answer, depends on how good of a forgeman you are, and how fitting your forge is for the task at hand.
If you are good no one would know and it would be better/stronger than the original and it would be easier since a forgeman would rather do it right than bend it back in a slacking manner.
You have time to keep saying I'm wrong, or how I can't be right, and that's been taking days now, so it's all up to you if you really want to try and solve the issue or not.
I prefer to start there now, we could have covered that base long ago, especially when you took the board out and took images the other day.
I am sorry, I do know it can be a hassle to do that, but I've only asked for it once since the beginning.

Aside from bent pins, it can sometimes be pressure used in the heatsink mount, but that's highly unlikely unless you are torqueing things so tight you'd already wonder about that.
Other than those two things, it's almost always settings or incompatibility. Auto is never going to cut it, unless you are using some vanilla 3x2GB kit from back then made for X58, and a compatible CPU.

If it was me, I would show the person helping me try to figure out the issue some images of my CPU socket pins, from a few angles without flash in a brightly lit room.
Then I would start with the BIOS I posted few posts back, and make some adjustments to settings depending on the memory used, first using only the 3x2GB kit to see if that is stable or not.
If it is, then we remove it and try different settings with 3 of the 8GB sticks, then after that the next 3x8GB

For me to advise you on settings to try for the 3x8GB test I need to see it's XMP and SPD, preferably in AIDA64 or HWInfo64 if you have both, if not CPU-z and HWInfo64 will be OK

Other things to check on the board itself, make sure none of the caps are bent over (Like pushed aside with graphics card insertion/removal, or cable adjustments, or CD/DVD player.
When you take CPU socket images, check the backside and front of the board near CPU heatsink mount to be sure the PCB has not been scratched or gouged with the mounting hardware (mounting hardware may need to be removed to check)
post #3869 of 3896 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 10:35 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 0
Hello, I'm looking to find some information about the compatibility of using an x5660 with my application. My system-board is the GIGABYTE GA-EX58-EXTREME motherboard and i have implementation related questions and concerns, but cannot find an owners group here on overclock. Please advise where would be a good place on here to find answer to some X58-Extreme board related questions and concerns.

Thanks for your attention fellow gigabyte customers.
I've also posted a little more detailed query @ https://www.overclock.net/forum/8-in...l#post27590132
Cheers everyone.

Last edited by Jacor; 08-22-2018 at 10:39 PM.
post #3870 of 3896 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 10:53 PM
Iconoclast

Rep: 3134 (Unique: 1869)
Quote: Originally Posted by TLCH723 View Post
Can you explain in details why would a pin under high but constant pressure will bent?
The pins are springs with a corner at the tip that is grabs the LGA pad when compressed.

Because neither the board nor the CPU are infinitely stiff, they can warp and the pins can slide out of place or otherwise shift position when pressure is applied, especially if it's applied unevenly.

It's not particularly uncommon for reseating a CPU and remounting a cooler to fix missing memory memory channels or other issues. It's certainly not always the culprit, but as it's fairly simple and easy to do, it's not far down the list on troubleshooting steps.

Quote: Originally Posted by TLCH723 View Post
Back to my original question, BESIDE BENT PINS, what other places should I check on the motherboard?
Any debris in the slots and any damage to any of the traces on the back of the board, in the vicinity of the DIMM slots or CPU.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jacor View Post
Hello, I'm looking to find some information about the compatibility of using an x5660 with my application. My system-board is the GIGABYTE GA-EX58-EXTREME motherboard and i have implementation related questions and concerns, but cannot find an owners group here on overclock. Please advise where would be a good place on here to find answer to some X58-Extreme board related questions and concerns.

Thanks for your attention fellow gigabyte customers.
I've also posted a little more detailed query @ https://www.overclock.net/forum/8-in...l#post27590132
Cheers everyone.
I would make sure you are using the newest firmware first, but your board will likely work with the X5660, though I have not personally tried it.

...rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual. -- Thomas Jefferson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in