**Official ASUS P5Q PRO Turbo/PRO/Turbo Owners Club** (All ASUS P45 Mobo Owners Welcome!) - Page 5 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
View Poll Results: Do you prefer the new OCN?
Yes! 33 32.35%
No! 19 18.63%
Yes and No! 16 15.69%
Don't give a damn about it! (LOL) 34 33.33%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

**Official ASUS P5Q PRO Turbo/PRO/Turbo Owners Club** (All ASUS P45 Mobo Owners Welcome!)

post #41 of 6580 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 06:21 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
When I go into the BIOS I can't change the multiplier entry. It is set to AUTO but won't let me change it to MANUAL, but it does give me the FSB and PCIE setting that I can alter. Is there another BIOS option I need to enable to allow me to set the ratio ?
Right now CPUID says I am running 3:5 for FSB : DRAM.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 6580 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
Perfection @ 4GHz

Rep: 360 (Unique: 174)
Quote:
Originally Posted by csanii View Post
When I go into the BIOS I can't change the multiplier entry. It is set to AUTO but won't let me change it to MANUAL, but it does give me the FSB and PCIE setting that I can alter. Is there another BIOS option I need to enable to allow me to set the ratio ?
Right now CPUID says I am running 3:5 for FSB : DRAM.
Is multiplier option grayed out? is it possible for you to load factory default settings? See if Multiplier becomes changeable afterward.

P.S. I don't think it necessary to change multiplier as AUTO will get you 12.5X by default.
post #43 of 6580 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 01:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 44 (Unique: 42)
Add me please! Just picked up this board to replace my 780i which was denied RMA

One weird thing though I tried Drive Xpert cause I wanted raid and I used superspeed but it reads my 2 320gb drives as one in Win7 but in bios it says 640? Whats up with that?

Whoever said nothing is impossible obviously never tried slamming a revolving door.

My Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=71084

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 6580 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 03:23 AM
New to Overclock.net

OK I sort of figured it out. I have to use -/+ to change the multiplier value or type in a value. The range allowed is 6-12.5x. I was expecting a ratio (ie. 1:1). I have mine on AUTO so like you said I get 12.5x as my default.

How do I change my FSB : DRAM ratio to 1:1 ? I was expecting to select a ratio but I don't see anywhere to do that. Do I have to manually calculate and enter values ??

post #45 of 6580 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
Perfection @ 4GHz

Quote:
OK I sort of figured it out. I have to use -/+ to change the multiplier value or type in a value. The range allowed is 6-12.5x. I was expecting a ratio (ie. 1:1). I have mine on AUTO so like you said I get 12.5x as my default.

How do I change my FSB : DRAM ratio to 1:1 ? I was expecting to select a ratio but I don't see anywhere to do that. Do I have to manually calculate and enter values ??
csanii, right on. CPU FSB is divided 4; DRAM FSB is divided by 2. So In order to get 1:1 ratio, DRAM FSB has to be two times the CPU FSB. To get 4 GHz, set CPU Freq to "320" and DRAM Freq to "640" or "641".

Settings to be changed in BIOS (happened to be my settings):

AI OC Tuner on Manual
CPU ratio setting on AUTO.
CPU Freq. set to 320 <------------------ These values will give you
DRAM Freq. select 640 or 641 <------- the ratio of 1:1 @ 4GHz.
DRAM Timing Control on AUTO (if the values in gray are correct)

Disabled DRAM Static Read Control
Disabled DRAM Read Training
Enabled MEM OC Charger

CPU Voltage set to 1.42500V (in CPU-Z shows ~1.4V, worked for my E5200 R0)
CPU GTL Ref. on AUTO (leave it as is)
All else voltages set to bare minimum. (DRAM voltage set to minimum req'd by RAM manufacturer)

Enabled Load-line Calibration
Disabled CPU and PCIE Spectrum

CPU Margin Enhancement to Performance

All else fields not mentioned above that you will see on the same page in the BIOS, just leave them on AUTO or as is value.

Also, you can definitely keep all power saving features ENABLED in the BIOS.

Help these help! Good Luck!!!

P.S. What are your cpu temps (idle and load) and ambient temp.?
post #47 of 6580 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
Perfection @ 4GHz

Some say that keeping 1:1 ratio for CPU and DRAM is best for overclocking, and setting DRAM to run any higher speed will not yield extra performance. I agree to the former part of the statement, but I do sense the subtle increased speed in opening apps when DRAM FSB is set higher like 1066 compared to 640... maybe I should run a performance benchmark to verify that.

P.S. Update: My system halt and reboot just a while ago when DRAM is set to run 1066 and manual timings.
post #48 of 6580 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
Perfection @ 4GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg8west View Post
Add me please! Just picked up this board to replace my 780i which was denied RMA

One weird thing though I tried Drive Xpert cause I wanted raid and I used superspeed but it reads my 2 320gb drives as one in Win7 but in bios it says 640? Whats up with that?
I've never used Drive Xpert b4 though I have it installed and it's running in system tray by the moment. What I know is that it's that software that can clone one drive to another at super speed by connecting the drives to the orange and white SATA connectors (use both orange and white only for cloning i believe).
post #49 of 6580 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 07:26 PM
New to Overclock.net

Thx. I now have this at 1:1 ratio.
Temperatures are:
Ambient: 23
Idle Core#1:Core#2 = 42:35 (6x)
Load Core#1: Core#2 = 51:51 (12.5x)

I only ran OCCT for 6min. I would run longer but it doesn't seem to be writing out a data file (not sure why) and I didn't want to sit and watch the screen too long. I'll look into the data file issue or post a msg on the OCCT board this weekend. I didn't see anyone with a similar issue posted there so it might be something with my install.

post #50 of 6580 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
Perfection @ 4GHz

Quote:
Thx. I now have this at 1:1 ratio.
Temperatures are:
Ambient: 23
Idle Core#1:Core#2 = 42:35 (6x)
Load Core#1: Core#2 = 51:51 (12.5x)

I only ran OCCT for 6min. I would run longer but it doesn't seem to be writing out a data file (not sure why) and I didn't want to sit and watch the screen too long. I'll look into the data file issue or post a msg on the OCCT board this weekend. I didn't see anyone with a similar issue posted there so it might be something with my install.
Nice... your idle temp for both cores are actually lower than mine. My idles like Core#0: 38C; Core#1: 41C. Load temp usually in the mid 40s. Room temp is 25C.

I use CPUID Hardware Monitor to check temp in addition to the one came with ASUS.

Try stress test with Prime95 (run 12+ hrs) or if you want more heat, try 20 runs of IBT2.5 to verify stability with your overclocking.

P.S. Check out my signature!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in