ASUS P8P67-M PRO OCing Guide - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

ASUS P8P67-M PRO OCing Guide

post #1 of 1049 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 111 (Unique: 95)
Recommended BIOS: 0708 (assuming you have a B3 board). The BIOS the B3 boards shipped with was garbage.

Everyone so far has reported a slightly higher OC's or the same OC at lower voltage after updating from 0404. Plus the update allows you to enable PLL, and lets you see SPD for each installed DIMM from the BIOS.

The major thing to note about this board is that there is no way to directly set the vcore. Vcore appears to be determined from a combination of your chips native VID, the value and sign of the CPU Offset Voltage, and the Additional Turbo Voltage (ATV) setting under the CPU Power Management Menu.

Another thing to note that is it's extremely common for the OC protection to kick in (you will boot to a screen that says "Overclocking Failed! Press F1 to enter setup") even when your OC is fine, especially at higher OCs (I started experiencing it around 4.7GHz). If you see this screen without having first had a bunch of failed boots, go ahead and hit F1 and then just hit F10 and enter to save and continue with the current settings. The PC will boot without reporting a failed OC. Mine was doing this every time, but now that I've settled in at 4.8GHz I never see that screen.

So my advice is as follows:

1. You MUST use manual settings for BOTH CPU offset and ATV (in the CPU Power Management menu). Leaving either of these on auto led to my board giving 1.50v for the same OC that is stable at 1.376v, which is obviously terrible.

2. Changes to the CPU offset do NOT lead to a corresponding change in vcore under load as you would expect--it's usually close, but never seems to be precise. Working with the ATV setting is much easier. While it remains possible that there is some fundamental difference between these settings, I haven't found it.

3. The choice of whether to use LLC is a complicated one, but in general I would recommend leaving it off. Enabling LLC will actually *add* voltage (as much as 0.1v!!!) under load, and the amount of voltage added is dependent on the degree of load. So for example, turning on LLC I saw voltage increase by 0.072 under IBT, and then when I upgraded to SP1 and the AVX binaries it went up 0.032v more. Note that if you want to enable LLC you *can* set the Offset Sign to - to reduce the voltage under load. However, at ~1.42v I was unable to get into windows at 4.8GHz with LLC enabled, but am rock solid with LLC disabled and around the same voltage (although it mostly droops to 1.392v).

Step-by-step advice for OCing this board is as follows:

Ai Overclock Tuner: MANUAL
BCLK Freqency: 100 (for now)
Memory Frequency: Manually set to stock for your DIMMs (I'll leave you to play with this once you like your CPU OC)
Internal PLL: Enabled (but note that one user had trouble OCing his RAM with this enabled)
OC Tuner: DO NOT USE
EPU Power Saving Mode: Disabled
Turbo Ratio: start at stock, increase gradually as you work on your OC

DRAM Timing Control: Manually set to stock for your DIMMs

CPU Power Management:
CPU Ratio: Auto
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology: Enabled
Turbo Mode: Enabled
Turbo Ratio: same as in the main Ai Tweaker menu
Additional Turbo Voltage (ATV): start at 0.004, increase by 0.008 as necessary to achieve stability as you OC. If you decide at some point to Enable LLC, you will need to decrease this (or your Offset) setting by approximately 0.08v to keep the same voltage.
All other settings leave on Auto

Offset Mode Sign: +
CPU Offset Voltage: 0.005
DRAM Voltage: 1.500v (or w/e is stock for your DIMMs)
VCCIO Voltage: 1.05v (increase if OCing your RAM)
PCH Voltage: 1.05v (increasing may help you increase BCLK, use the color coding to determine what's safe).
Load-Line Calibration: Disabled (but see discussion above)
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Once you boot from these settings at stock, open CPU-Z and run IBT or Prime-95 or w/e. Note the vcore CPU-Z reports under load. From here on out, whenever you increase the ATV by some amount, your vcore under load will also increase by that amount (your vcore at idle will not change, and you won't need it to).

From here, start increasing your multiplier and increase ATV to achieve stability as necessary, staying within whatever voltage ranges you're comfortable with. I see no reason why 1.4v is problematic if your temps are under control, and even 1.45v and more should be ok, although with the AVX libraries your temps will be extraordinarily high. Both the 2500k and 2600k have a max VID of 1.52v.

Once you achieve your maximum stable multiplier at 100 BCLK, there are two more thing you can do to improve your OC.

1. Go up to the next multiplier and decrease your BCLK by 0.2 until you can get it stable. Once you find that, you can increase the multi yet further--it's up to you and benchmarking where the sweet spot is.

2. The other thing you can do is take max stable multi and *increase* the BCLK by 0.2 until you become unstable. You can also try decreasing your multi and increasing BCLK further. Again, it's up to you where you think your sweet spot is--also keep in mind that higher BCLK will also produce higher RAM speeds at a constant multiplier (although a lower BCLK may also allow a higher multiplier...).

Good luck!

OCing results on this board from OCN members (feel free to add yours!!!):

[ame="https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Aqo3fzVwb52YdFMzMDNadHhYLWpZZFVNd1dZMVNYdVE&&w=100&h=500"]P8P67-M Pro OCing Results[/ame]

Link to edit spreadsheet: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Aqo3fzVwb52YdFMzMDNadHhYLWpZZFVNd1dZMVNYdVE&hl=en&authkey=CJq1lrAL#gid=0

P.S. I *am* responsive to PM's if this page needs updating!

Check out The Swap Meet
A place to exchange spare parts you don't need for ones you do!

ASUS P8P67-M Pro OCing Guide

Pictorial Lapping Guide--Check this out if you're thinking of lapping an HSF and/or IHS!!

ASUS P5N-E OCing Guide

"Incorrect using it may cause your system broken. For power End-User use only!"
-Gigabyte MB manual (8I865GME-775-RH-Rev2.0)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1049 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 04:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 67 (Unique: 63)
I'm looking to this board as well. What's your temp under load now and how much voltage you need for 4.5Ghz?
post #3 of 1049 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I peak at 76C under IBT High load, but only 62C during Black Ops multiplayer. Not sure exactly what voltage I needed for 4.5GHz, because last time I posted at 4.5 I still hadn't figured out how to effectively control the voltages on this board, so CPU offset voltage was still on auto with Additional Max Voltage at 0.04. This resulted in ~1.38v, but I'm certain it would've been fine with less voltage.

Check out The Swap Meet

Pictorial Lapping Guide--Check this out if you're thinking of lapping an HSF and/or IHS!!

ASUS P5N-E OCing Guide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 1049 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 03:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 386 (Unique: 312)
This board is really different with the settings compared to other boards. I hope they fix this in a bios update.
I can do 4.6 but it will give me a rounding error in prime small ffts but I can do 20 runs of ibt perfectly.

post #5 of 1049 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I haven't tested in prime, and I don't really care to because it's not a realistic testing environment. I've gone through hours of gaming without a hitch, which is all the really matters to me--it's been tested in the real environment in which I need it to perform, so I'm satisfied with the stability.

But nagle I'm sure you can go further with your chip if you're willing to up the vcore a little.

Check out The Swap Meet

ASUS P5N-E OCing Guide

post #6 of 1049 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 05:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBeCa;12046893 
I haven't tested in prime, and I don't really care to because it's not a realistic testing environment. I've gone through hours of gaming without a hitch, which is all the really matters to me--it's been tested in the real environment in which I need it to perform, so I'm satisfied with the stability.

But nagle I'm sure you can go further with your chip if you're willing to up the vcore a little.

I've tried up to 1.35 for 4.6 and I still get the rounding error. I've tested mine with hours of gaming as well and had zero problems. I wish I wouldn't have tried prime because now it bothers me. 1.295 @ 4.5 runs prime perfectly all day and temps are fine they max on he hottest core at 67c. I'm gonna try some other things later and see how it goes.

post #7 of 1049 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

FWIW the issue with prime stability seems to be endemic to SB chips in general, and has nothing to do with this board in particular.

Check out The Swap Meet

ASUS P5N-E OCing Guide

post #8 of 1049 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 04:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Well I got it to run small ffts for an hour, that is good enough for me. Also super PI runs flawlessly now ( it was destroying all my ocing attemps even though it would burn through prime). I'm gonna stay at 4.6 for now, hopefully with a new bios (please be soon Asus) we can get to and past that 47th multi.

post #9 of 1049 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I'm guessing you can up your BCLK by a couple points to get 103, like I'm doing. Gets a little more headroom out of your RAM as well.

Check out The Swap Meet

ASUS P5N-E OCing Guide

post #10 of 1049 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 12:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 51 (Unique: 50)
Yeah, i am REALLY disappointed in how they setup the efi for this board. Very lacking on the settings compared to the "regular" Pro board. Thanks for the heads up on where the additional voltage setting was for when its under turbo + rep. This board is a nightmare to set the vcore and they had better fix it in a future efi update.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in