Custom making GPU water cooling brackets? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Custom making GPU water cooling brackets?

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 63 (Unique: 49)
Custom making GPU water cooling brackets?

So I have access to several punching machines, and I have kinda tossed around the idea of making and selling adapter brackets (like the Dwood brackets, H70, H60 etc).

I have made several that work just fine. I can make brackets with 16GA to 12GA thickness and can paint pretty much any color.

Would there be a market for this here at OCN, and most importantly is this allowed on OCN?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 525 (Unique: 296)
i can definitely tell you folks that like to watercool old systems would love this.

users were just complaining over in the Rampage IV Black Edition thread that they can't get the south bridge bracket from EK, or anwhere.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 30)
How much does it cost to start up a production run? Tooling etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 63 (Unique: 49)
Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
i can definitely tell you folks that like to watercool old systems would love this.

users were just complaining over in the Rampage IV Black Edition thread that they can't get the south bridge bracket from EK, or anwhere.
Hmm, interesting. I'll have to look into that.

Quote: Originally Posted by ltpdttcdft View Post
How much does it cost to start up a production run? Tooling etc.
Not 100% sure, but mainly just material and the time to actually do it. I've already made a couple different ones (14GA powder coated black) for an H70 setup. One just the bracket and the other bracket + 80mm fan for cooling the vrm and stuff.

14GA is pretty thick, but it's not going to flex at all lol. 0.074 inch / 1.87mm thick. I could do 12GA as well (0.105in) but I'm not sure why you would need that thick lol

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 30)
OK then. I thought you'd have to make custom dies, but if you're using premade dies that's one big cost you could do without.

I had some ideas of things I wanted to manufacture but the cost of 3D printing or CNC milling were way too much to really consider seriously. Depending on the cost and capabilities, maybe it could work out with punching instead.

Are the machines identical or have different purposes? Cost of machine time? Range of typical production rates? Minimum and maximum workpiece dimensions?

Can it do bent shapes, or just simple holes in flat sheet?

PM me if you'd prefer not to reveal info publicly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in