[Build Log] First rig update "Going Black": X79 RIV BE, 4930k, Tri-SLI 780's, Black Acrylic Tubing - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] First rig update "Going Black": X79 RIV BE, 4930k, Tri-SLI 780's, Black Acrylic Tubing

post #1 of 242 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 73 (Unique: 58)
Born on New Years Day (01-JAN-2014)

Current Pictures: 18-JAN-2014

Current Pictures: 01-JAN-2014

Current Pictures: 27-DEC-2013
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
6bceaaa8_12-27-13a.jpeg
c8172094_12-26-13b.jpeg

Current Pictures: 28-DEC-2013
1456b7f4_12-28-13b.jpeg

I'm editing my first post with the updates I'm planning to do starting in December 2013:

Pic of things I've purchased since for my update... a lot of the boxes are empty since I used some of the items on my 2011 build.

Specs:
Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D
CPU: Core i7 2600K
CPU: Hexacore i7 4930K
Mobo: Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
Mobo: X79 Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
Graphics Cards: 2 x 3072MB EVGA GTX580 FTW Hydro Copper 2
Graphics Cards: 3 x EVGA GTX 780 SC in Tri-SLI
Ram: Corsair Dominator-GT 8GB DDR3 1866MHz 1.5v
Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR3 2133MHz 1.5v
Storage:
- Crucial M4 128GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD
- Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SATA III SSD
- WD Cavier black 2TB
Optical: LG CD/BD/DVD drive
PSU: Corsair AX1200
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Case Fans: 4 x 120mm Bitfenix white spectre and 3 or 2x stock corsair fans
Case Fans: 4 x 120mm Gentle Typhoon AP-15

Watercooling:
Radiators:
- 1x XSPC RX360 push/pull top with a Koolance 350 shroud
- 1x Swiftech MRC220 push/pull bottom
- 1x EK 120 rad
Radiator Fans: 12x Gentle Typhoon 120mm AP-15
Reservoir: Koolance RP-452X2 (Rev 1.3)
Reservoir: EK-MultiOption RES X3 250 - Tube
Pumps: 2 x Koolance PMP-450
EK D5 Dual CSQ Pump Top - Acetal - Black
Tubing: Feser 1/2 x 3/4 white UV
Tubing: Primochill Black Acrylic
CPU Block: Raystorm
CPU Block: Supremacy Clean CSO c/p
GPU Blocks: FTW Hydro Copper 2 (pre-installed)
GPU Blocks: 3x EK-FC GTX Titan/780 c/p + Back Plates
Mobo block: EK-FB Asus Max IV Extreme
Ram block: EK Ram Dominator
Fittings:
- 14X Bitspower Black 1/2" x 3/4" Rotory Compression fittings(various)
- 4x Bitspower 1/2" barbs
- 2x Koolance Black Adjustable VID connector (GPU's in parallel)
- 20X Primochill Revolver Black Acrylic Compression Fittings
- Bitspower elbows (various)
- 4x Bitspower Adjustable Aqua Link Pipe (GPU's in parallel)
Fan Controller: Scythe Kaze Master Pro (bought 2 but may only use 1)

My original build log from 2011 starts here:
https://www.overclock.net/t/1152008/build-log-update-in-progress-my-first-attempt-computer-build-and-going-watercooled#post_15456515
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 242 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Current Pictures: 19-NOV-2011

bay.jpg
wcpc.jpg

15-NOV-2011

wl63.jpg
wl69.jpg

11-NOV-2011

wl56.jpg
wl58.jpg

08-NOV-2011

wl50.jpg
wl51.jpg

06-NOV-2011

wl48.jpg

05-SEP-2011

wl45.jpg

This is my first and only computer build, and I feel really clueless to what I'm doing. I've been lurking in OCN and other forums for months trying to learn as much as I can before I purchased. I'm not really a gamer, but I wanted to build a computer just to keep up with the technology. I am a Programmer/Analysts (Oracle dev/dba), so I am mainly a user... who complains to IT why my computer isn't working... LOL...

As I searched about building computers, I stumbled on watercooling systems on YouTube... and I was blown away... and hooked. I used to play COD when it first came out, so maybe I'll become a gamer again. BF3 seems like a good start.smile.gif

I wasn't planning on doing a build log thread, but since I've been lurking and learning in the watercooling forum, and other forum sections... and everyone seems cool and helpful... I decided to do this thread so I can maybe get some help and encouragement along the way.

Here are some parts pics:

parts1.jpg
parts2.jpg

I have individual parts pics... but I don't feel like uploading them.

Not the amazing specs that I've seen on other threads in this forum... but this is what I going to work with on my first computer build.

Specs:
Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D
CPU: Core i7 2600K
Mobo: Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
Graphics Cards: 2 x 3072MB EVGA GTX580 FTW Hydro Copper 2
Ram: Corsair Dominator-GT 8GB DDR3 1866MHz 1.5v
Storage:
- Crucial M4 128GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD
- WD Cavier black 2TB
Optical: LG CD/BD/DVD drive
PSU: Corsair AX1200
Case Fans: 4 x 120mm Bitfenix white spectre and 3 or 2x stock corsair fans

Watercooling:
Radiators:
- 1x XSPC RX360 push/pull top with a Koolance 350 shroud
- 1x Swiftech MRC220 push/pull bottom
Radiator Fans: 10x Gentle Typhoon 120mm AP-15
Reservoir: Koolance RP-452X2 (Rev 1.3)
Pumps: 2 x Koolance PMP-450
Tubing: Feser 1/2 x 3/4 white UV
CPU Block: Raystorm
GPU Blocks: FTW Hydro Copper 2 (pre-installed)
Mobo block: EK-FB Asus Max IV Extreme
Ram block: EK Ram Dominator
Fittings:
- 14X Bitspower Black 1/2" x 3/4" Rotory Compression fittings(various)
- 4x Bitspower 1/2" barbs
- 2x Koolance Black Adjustable VID connector (GPU's in parallel)
Fan Controller: Scythe Kaze Master Pro (bought 2 but may only use 1)

The above is what I'm going with no matter if it turns out good or bad. I'll learn from my mistakes. There are parts I know other people have different ideas of... but I based my decisions on reviews I've read, compatiblility, and good first hand experiences I've read in forums. Hopefully I can gain a lot of experience from this project, so I'll be a helpful contributer in this forum someday.

Wish me luck... eek.gif
post #3 of 242 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Work I've done so far...

First thing was to remove the feet so I can get a cleaner cut with my cheap sears jigsaw:

wl1.jpg
wl2.jpg
wl3.jpg
wl4.jpg

After removing the bottom cage, I test fitted the push/pull 240 rad on the bottom:

wl5.jpg

Next I installed the intake fans to pull in cool air into the bottom rad section and HDD cage section:

wl6.jpg

Installed u-channel for clean look (McMasters is very cheap for u-channel by the foot smile.gif)

wl7.jpg
wl8.jpg

Pics of the intake/exhaust for bottom rad section and HDD cage. I'm going to reverse the corsair floor fan to blow down prevent any hot air to rise, and pull some hot air down and out the bottom (top rad will be intake to pull in cool air through the rad). Hopefully this will limit any additional heat from rising.

wl9.jpg
wl10.jpg

Here are some pics of the sleeving I've done so far... there is still a lot more sleeving I have to do.frown.gif

wl11.jpg
wl12.jpg
wl13.jpg

For the fan controller, I want to control the 3x push fans on channel 1, and 3 pull fans on Channel 6 for the RX360 rad. So I tested it by making the following adapter:

wl14.jpg
wl15.jpg
wl16.jpg

Since worked out, I'll be making a nicer fan adapter with black molex connectors and black sleeving. The adapter will make it easier for me to replace fans if they ever go out on me.

UPDATE: 30-OCT-2011

Anyhow... I didn't have time to do much because all these holloween activities I have to do with my 2 boys. My wife and I are working on Fred and Wilma Flintstone costumes from scratch... lol...

Here are the little updates I've done this week...

Installed the my koolance shroud. Still waiting on some socket head screws to install the fans in the shroud. It's scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday.

wl17.jpg
wl18.jpg
wl19.jpg

Speaking of fans, I am going to use both fan controllers after doing the math on watts per channel (amps x volts = watts). For those who want couple fans together in parallel... get lamptron fan controllers (30 watts/channel). For now... I will use the Kaze Master Pro's, but I will be replacing them with Lamptrons... and re-wiring the fans in the future. This is the configuration I'm going with (for now) on the front panel...

wl23.jpg
wl24.jpg

I also did more sleeving on my PCI-E cables for my GPU's, and 2 pumps...

wl20.jpg
wl21.jpg
wl22.jpg

Why the coiled blue wire? Since I am using 2 fan controllers (12 channels), I'm going to use 2 channels for the pumps. Mainly using it to alarm if 1 of the pumps fail.

wl25.jpg

Finally, I positioned the pumps so I can easlily access the variable controls. I got a little tired of drilling holes in my case.tongue.gif

wl26.jpg
wl27.jpg

After I get my screws in on Tuesday, I'll install all the fans on the case, and making adapters/sleeved to connect to the fan controllers. When I complete that... it's on to working on the mobo. smile.gif

wl28.jpg

small UPDATE: 01-NOV-2011

This is my poor mans isolation fan mounts (one sided foam tape). Put it on there to seal the fan mount... and noise cancelling.

wl29.jpg
wl30.jpg
wl31.jpg

Stay tuned... and thanks for all the encouragement that I recieved in posts, PM's, and rep comments.thumb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 242 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 10:31 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 89 (Unique: 76)
Absolutely MAD! Not a gamer yet you've got nearly double the cash dumped into your rig compared to mine, and I'm a hardcore gamer... simply mad! What do you plan on using such a beast of a machine for?

Subscribed to this thread. I LOVE these kind of build threads. The case customizations and the endless possibilities of watercooling combinations really tickle my pickle.

I'm from Brooklyn, I'm the OG owner of the New Yorker Club

post #5 of 242 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 10:35 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 17 (Unique: 15)
Wow and this is a first timer?

http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=78416

“The persistence of a human may never win against the persistence of time, but the fruits of the labors are wondrous to behold, even in our brevity” --Daniel Costin

"...what's Fonzie like?"
post #6 of 242 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 10:35 PM
post #7 of 242 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicamaster3;15456548 
Absolutely MAD! Not a gamer yet you've got nearly double the cash dumped into your rig compared to mine, and I'm a hardcore gamer... simply mad! What do you plan on using such a beast of a machine for?

Subscribed to this thread. I LOVE these kind of build threads. The case customizations and the endless possibilities of watercooling combinations really tickle my pickle.

As an end user at work, I've lost touch of the technology out there. I mainly wanted to build a computer for knowlege, and to keep up with latest hardware. However, in researching... I was blown away with what people are doing with computer builds. I was a semi-gamer in the past, and I do play the PS3 with my sons... so I will be taking advantage of this hardware playing BF3.smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by van13330gg;15456584 
Wow and this is a first timer?

My wife thinks I'm insane... lol...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybutcher;15456585 
Looking good so far! Keep it up thumb.gif

Thanks... smile.gif

UPDATE: 01-NOV-2011

Finally installed my rads after thinking if I should filter them or not. Decided just to filter the bottom rad only... because I think that is where most dust is in my office.tongue.gif

wl33.jpg

One thing I have to mention on the swiftech rads, the holes don't line up well with the standard 120mm fan holes. I read the same issue on reviews... and it was true in my case. It was a pain bought after screwing it once... it was hard the second time around.

Here is the bottom of the case (note: finally got the feet back on the case again.smile.gif)

wl34.jpg

Sealed the bottom fan with some one sided foam tape:

wl35.jpg

I know I installed the shrouded fans before....

wl36.jpg

.... but was a pain to get the nuts on the screws with this installed mad.gif....

wl37.jpg

It wasn't impossible, but it took a while to get the screw threading in the nut started with little room with the rad in the way. If i had to do it again... I would drill, punch, and tap. I'm going to look into some type of threaded inserts... so I'll be able to maintenance later on.

I'll be making extention cables for the fans to connect to the fan controller, and sleeving them... tomorrow or the following days. After that... installing the water blocks on the mobo. smile.gif

UPDATE: 08-NOV-2011

Tonight I worked on some cable management. Cable management sucks... but it's the only way to keep the cable police quiet... lol... tongue.gif

The way I have the cables exiting worked best for me to route the cables into the PSU compartment. I lost a lot room with the 240 rad in the way.

wl50.jpg
wl51.jpg

Tested if I could close the side panel.... and.... drum.gif

wl52.jpg

It closed with ease.... applaud.gif

Next... installing water tubing....eek.gif

UPDATE: 11-NOV-2011

Still working on wire connections and cable management...

wl53.jpg
wl54.jpg
wl55.jpg

Worked on the tubing, but it isn't finalized. I'm still waiting on Koolance QD's, and not satisfied on the tightening on my compression fittings. Didn't realize how hard it was to work with compression fittings. My fingers are torn up.frown.gif

wl56.jpg
wl57.jpg
wl58.jpg
wl59.jpg
wl60.jpg

After I get my koolance QD's, I'll connect tubing to the upper rad, and reservior. Hope I feel a little more confident when I start water testing my loop. Getting close, but not quite there yet.

FINAL STAGE: 15-NOV-2011

Everything is all installed... wires tied down, and water tubing is completed. Tested fan controller, fans and lighting again, and all is working.thumb.gif

wl70.jpg
wl63.jpg
wl64.jpg
wl65.jpg
wl66.jpg
wl67.jpg
wl68.jpg
wl69.jpg

Next, water testing over the weekend.eek.gif

FINAL STAGE: 19-NOV-2011

I haven't updated my thread in a while because... I've been enjoying my computer.smile.gif Currently playing BF3...

Although it took me a long time to build... since I wasn't sure what I was doing... I am really happy how it came out. I learned a lot from this experience... and look forward to learning more on another future build. Thank you all for the kind words and support... and thank you for taking this awesome journey with me.

For the record... the hard to bleed Koolance RP-452x2 issue isn't the case with rev 1.3. After I turned my case upside down, and it didn't take long to bleed.
bay.jpg
wl69.jpg
wcpc.jpg
post #8 of 242 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 10:43 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Location: Portland OR ( Ghetto city! )......My game plan?......"Pain!"
Rep: 10 (Unique: 10)
Man...Erayser beat me to the punch! I'm a first time builder myself , but haven't even started gathering all my stuff yet. I've got something kind of big planned myself.

Erayser....good luck man! That's coming from one fellow noob to another!
post #9 of 242 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 10:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
And a new hobby was born. wink.gif

post #10 of 242 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 10:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 158 (Unique: 118)
You've got to be kidding me... You're a first timer!

SIMPLY AMAZING. Mega mad props to you sir, mega mad props. CONGRATS and I hope to see you around and your fantastic builds around. DANGGG.
I think you just about one uped every first timer here. Insane!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in