[Work Log] Switch 810 w/ 420mm rad & fully modular - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Work Log] Switch 810 w/ 420mm rad & fully modular

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 10:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 165 (Unique: 134)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggg View Post

Christmas Morning in March
10x Bitfenix Spectre Pro LED 140mm Fans along with lamptron invertless UV light bars.
The monster 420mm rad.
Sadly the gasket that I ordered for it do not line up with the radiator mounting holes, let's hope the switch does not disappoint and line up correctly.
Lastly,
Sleeving and custom cable & tools for making 6 in 1 3 pin fan connectors.

Wow oh wow, I love getting deliveries with new goodies biggrin.gif I think if you check mironccr345's log, you'll see he is having some issues with the holes lining up, so he plans to drill holes I think.

Sony Alpha A7II | Sony 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 | Sony FE 55mm f/1.8 Zeiss Sonnar T

~The Switch~
Post The Last Thing You Ate!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCModderMike View Post

Wow oh wow, I love getting deliveries with new goodies biggrin.gif I think if you check mironccr345's log, you'll see he is having some issues with the holes lining up, so he plans to drill holes I think.

Darn,
That's not what I wanted to hear, I noticed on this work log that he only used a few holes and not all of them, I'm hoping that's the case with mine,

B. Plan I'll just cut slits instead between the 140MM holes and make the rad mount into sliders.

Good thing is that the top is already off so I can dremel it without disturbing the rest of the case. thumb.gif

C. Plan is to use my 360 rad rolleyes.gif
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 10:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 165 (Unique: 134)
Quote:

Darn,
That's not what I wanted to hear, I noticed on this work log that he only used a few holes and not all of them, I'm hoping that's the case with mine,
B. Plan I'll just cut slits instead between the 140MM holes and make the rad mount into sliders.
Good thing is that the top is already off so I can dremel it without disturbing the rest of the case. thumb.gif

Well I hope Plan C doesn't have to be touched, because that's a nice 420 you got there thumb.gif I'm sure you'll figure out some kind of solution for it smile.gif

Sony Alpha A7II | Sony 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 | Sony FE 55mm f/1.8 Zeiss Sonnar T

~The Switch~
Post The Last Thing You Ate!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 11:02 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 118 (Unique: 105)
Quote:

Darn,

Yeah, I wasn't expecting the rad holes not lining up. redface.gif The Phobya G-Changer rad. holes are spaced 3/4" and the spacing on the S810 is 1" So you'll be drilling your own holes if you want to mount the phobya rad.

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by mironccr345 View Post

Yeah, I wasn't expecting the rad holes not lining up. redface.gif The Phobya G-Changer rad. holes are spaced 3/4" and the spacing on the S810 is 1" So you'll be drilling your own holes if you want to mount the phobya rad.
I'm awaiting/curious to see how you managed to mount yours.

Mine is a Black Ice Stealth 420
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Goind Under!

Koolance Quick Disconnect Fittings finally arrived.

Now due to a few post of others, I thought that I'd have to drill new holes for the Black Ice Stealth 420mm radiator but once a while, luck actually was in my favor.

The holes line up without any drilling involved!

Next the blocks and fittings went in fairly quickly.
I could not use all the QDCs like I wanted around on the radiator to the clearance issues for the rear fan. These fittings are huge, measuring almost 3 inches when combined.

The 420mm rad fits beautifully up at the top in push/pull configuration, plenty of room to breath up at the front at the space created by cutting down the top most set of rails.

Top fans going in.

By now, everything is plugged back in and I'm eager to fire this sucker up.

These spectre Pros x6 are not bad at all at full speed (for now). They will be plugged to one channel on the lamptron FC touch later after I mod the PCB I have for them.

Last project for the night, changing the LEDs of the D5 res from red to blue.
This actually involves changing an entire pcb board with the built in LED in them, wasn't complicated but you'd need a molex pin remover if you want to change it.

Before:

After:

Tomorrow will be a full day of soldering to place the 6x case fans on one controller channel and the 6x push/pull fans on the radiator on a separate channel.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 12:18 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 17)
Very nice job with the top rad!

+rep for the fan controller idea smile.gif

Can't wait to see what else you have in store!

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

I <3 Mechanical Keyboard

[BUILD] Project BLU [coming soon] - Apple G5 Mod
[BUILD] Switch3d - NZXT 810
[PARTS] mini Collider - EVGA Hadron Air
[PARTS] Prod1gy - BitFenix Prodigy

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Crazy Weekend of Cabling.

That was a crazy weekend of custom cable making and sleeving.
Didn't seem like a lot of work was done but I am now awaiting some more ATX pin removal tools, went through 2 sets so far.

PSU died out on me so I'm awaiting a replacement from corsair to finish sleeving the main PSU cable that's not modular.

This is my first time sleeving anything.

Made me a custom 6 to 1 3 pin fan header for the radiator fan and another 4 to 1 for the case fans.

All the Fans are spectre pro 140mm.

The first cable I've sleeved EVER!

This cable took me about 4 hours in figuring out which way the pin removal tool goes in to proper sleeving length etc.

Finally,

I got my computer to a semi finished state while I'm awaiting a replacement PSU. Then I can sleeve at my leisure.

P.S Removing ferrite rings on the modular HX1000 PCI-E cable suck.

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 10:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 186 (Unique: 146)
That looks great thumb.gif

I hear you on the Corsair ferrite rings. I just got one yesterday, how the hell do you cut them off or did you just remove the connectors and slide them off?

If you respond to one of my posts in a very busy thread, I probably won't see it, so feel free to message me.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJesus View Post

That looks great thumb.gif
I hear you on the Corsair ferrite rings. I just got one yesterday, how the hell do you cut them off or did you just remove the connectors and slide them off?

I did it exactly like this guy.

I cut a slit into the heat shrink then blasted it with the heat gun. The heat shrink will pull away at the slit then just pry it apart with a screw driver or something.

As for the ring, I just slid out the wires one at a time as i sleeved it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in