[Build Log] Watercooled Silverstone SG04 mATX Gaming Rig - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] Watercooled Silverstone SG04 mATX Gaming Rig

post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Table of Contents:

Helly everybody, I am new here and wanted to share what I am working on at the moment. I've always been a fan of cramming as much horsepower as possible into a small and quiet computer. My previous computer was built in a Silverstone SG03, which I liked better than the SG04, but it didn't have enough room for the cards I wanted.

This is a combination of a completed build, and a build-in-progress. The computer is currently running with the following:
  • SilverStone SG04 Small Form Factor
  • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z Micro-ATX Motherboard
  • Antec 750 High Current Pro Modular PSU
  • Intel i7 2600k CPU
  • 16 GB DDR3
  • 2 X eVGA GeForce GTX 560

For anyone not familiar with the SG04 case:
FrontView01.jpg

Can for some size reference, the case isn't tiny, I find it perfectly sized for the equipment I need:
SideView01.jpg

Interior of the case, I sold my hard drives recently and tossed that laptop drive in there to get the system running:
InsideView01.jpg

View from the front:
InternalView01.jpg

Here you can see the heatsink for the CPU better, the CPU is cooled by the PSU fan and vented out the back:
326577_219956918073986_100001790397349_539247_654034044_o.jpg

Snug fit for the 560's, but they get enough airflow as long as I don't overclock them. Overclocking results in temps approaching 100c:
GPUView01.jpg

The cooling for the case consists of two rubber ultra-silent fans:
FrontView02.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:28 PM
High End Potato

Rep: 35 (Unique: 30)
F-ing awesome. Double side tape that SSD or something man!

post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 20)
I'd very like to see how your progress and completion of watercooling that thing will end up biggrin.gif

Canon 5D mk II : EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8, Speedlite 580EX II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Now you can see what I am working with, so on to the what and the why. As for why, pretty much just because I thought it would be a fun challenge. I used to build my computers in giant Thermaltake cases laden with as many fans as I could fit in there. Over time I got tired of the amount of space they consumed, the noise, and the clumsiness when moving them around. I experimented with a SilverStone SG03 case and passively cooled system to see if I could build something powerful enough to keep me happy, with minimal impact. Happily I did, and I used that computer for three years before building this one. This current PC is basically just a ramped up version of that build, similar cooling methods that I had gained confidence in from my prior build, and a better motherboard with SLI. The first time I build this though, I screwed up. I had started with MSI TwinFrozr II 560's, which do not vent out the rear. The result was they stewed in their own heats and couldn't maintain an acceptable temp. I had forgotten to take that into account initially and switched over to the eVGA cards in there now.

So the next step, is going to be one or two GTX680s using watercooling. I decided to use GTX680s due to their relatively low power use, cost, temps, and size. They should just fit inside this case and allow me to maintain my front intake fans. Plus, finally being able to use Surround with a single GPU is a bonus. I had been considering switching to ATI for that option until the 680 was released.

So as you can see, not a whole lot of room to work with here, and I am very picky about how everything needs to go. The point of the project is the project itself, so I won't be taking the easiest, or perhaps even the best route smile.gif

My requirements:
  • NO external cooling components
    • Radiators can't be hanging off
    • Reservoir needs to be within/part of the case
    • tubing needs to remain entirely inside the case
  • Computer needs to be movable without handling it like fine china
    • Getting it all in there is no good if everything is within an inch of its life
    • I don't often lan, but I would like to be able to pick this up, transport it, and not have it fall apart at the destination
  • Operating temps only have to be within reasonable limits, extreme cooling is not the goal
  • CPU may remain air-cooled, it is silent and within acceptable temp ranges at all times
    • As mentioned, the build is for the sake of the build. If I get temps similar to air-cooling, then so be it
  • Quiet: The scream of small GPU fans needs to go away
    • I hate fans smaller than 120mm, hate them.
  • Safe and maintainable
    • Easy to fill
    • Thoughtful handling of possible leaks
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadLink View Post

F-ing awesome. Double side tape that SSD or something man!

That'll be getting a home as the build goes on smile.gif I have to mount a pump down there so the drive is going to end up wherever space is left. Perhaps up above the power supply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoHxBram View Post

I'd very like to see how your progress and completion of watercooling that thing will end up biggrin.gif

Thanks for the interest! I like seeing what other people are working on and sharing the stuff I am creating, great place to get ideas.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 103 (Unique: 89)
You should take a picture with the side panel off and try to get the whole inside in a single picture. To give a good sense of the whole thing

Originally Posted by t00sl0w go_quote.gif
lol wut?
is an aborigine banging on your keyboard?

Steam ID: Ghooble
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuleOfSines View Post

Can for some size reference, the case isn't tiny, I find it perfectly sized for the equipment I need

I find this very hard to believe lol. But then again I am coming from a background of using cases such as the HAF 932, 800D, and the like. It is very interesting to see little machines like that pack a punch though.

Looking forward to the updates thumb.gif
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghooble View Post

You should take a picture with the side panel off and try to get the whole inside in a single picture. To give a good sense of the whole thing

Just took these:

IMAG0046.jpg

IMAG0048.jpg
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 60 (Unique: 51)
Subbed
I love these small form factor builds
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebacanezer View Post

I find this very hard to believe lol. But then again I am coming from a background of using cases such as the HAF 932, 800D, and the like. It is very interesting to see little machines like that pack a punch though.
Looking forward to the updates thumb.gif

After browsing some of what the guys in the SFF forum have done, I'm reluctant to call this case tiny, even though it is rather small redface.gif One of the big reasons I chose this case is the support for a full-size powersupply. I was doubly picky about choosing a powersupply since it also functions as the CPU fan, so I wanted the largest fan I could get on a good modular power supply.

I am considering, once I am at the end, shortening up the cables and making my own for better routing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in