[Updated 23/5/2012] Resident Evil Themed WC build - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Updated 23/5/2012] Resident Evil Themed WC build

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by threephi View Post

A few thoughts... firstly that drawing is clearly not to scale wink.gif but are you sure you can fit two reservoirs side by side in the 800D? I've just looked over a few WC build logs for 800D's and it doesn't look like there's quite enough room. Also I'm sure you're aware but modding will be required to get a 2x120 res in the bottom.

me and scale in drawings don't go together well smile.gif I don't know if I can quite fit them side by side, if not I will end up fabricating myself a holder of sorts to put them on top of each other (my lovely picture wise they would both show in the same spot since my picture doesn't show the other perspective)... and Yes, modding will certainly be required either way since I'm not sure I like the look of the front of the case anyway
Quote:
Not sure if you need two completely separate loops anyway since you will get more than enough cooling out of 360 + 240 worth of radiators, even if you added a mobo block, and one pump can easily handle that. But then again WC isn't necessarily about what we merely need, is it? biggrin.gif FWIW you can also feed both loops through one res if it turns out you can't fit both.

WC is never about what is merely Needed and always about what is WANTED biggrin.gif
And I am totally getting a full motherboard WB tongue.gif

Quote:
Also you will definitely want to get aftermarket pump tops, firstly because the stock ones are ugly and unwieldy, secondly because aftermarket tops typically perform better and provide more options on how to route the tubing. Pretty much every company that makes watercooling gear makes pump tops so there's a lot to choose from. Also the MCP655 is just a rebranded name for the Laing D5, which again, all the watercooling companies sell, but be advised that using a top and pump from different companies might break the warranty on the pump.

I was looking but don't really know what I'm looking for... suggestions?
Quote:
The pumps will take up two bays if that's where you want to put them, and obviously you'll need to either make or buy some kind of bracket. Most of the time when people put the pump in the drive bays it's as part of a res/pump combo.
About the rads... I'm not clear on precisely what rads you're getting, are they the new swiftech ones with or without the integrated res? I would recommend against the ones with the res since that's targeted more to the all-in-one kit market. Since you're building a full-on custom deluxe loop with your own sexy reservoirs you don't need that and IMO it will just make things bulkier and uglier.
As far as fans are concerned, it seems those rads are designed for medium to high speed fans. There are a huge number of choices but since noise level isn't an issue you should look at high-RPM fans such as the Gentle Typhoon AP-29. It would also seem a shame not to get a fan controller, have you looked into those yet?

No integrated res, and no integrated pump ones (I am still open to changing them since nothing gets ordered till next week-ish when I get my huge payday smile.gif )

Already thinking the Typhoons would be what I get, the question is if I can fit push-pull in the top of the case without needing more space than there is

Have thought of fan controller, was thinking NZXT Technologies Sentry Mix LED Illuminated Fan Controller with Six 50-Watt Channels, but if I see a nice one with dials instead I'd probably get the dial one instead...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 04:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
I like the idea of a RE-themed build.

Did you came across those already?

https://frozenqshop.com/index.php/reservoirs/lf.html

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity:
but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I have, I'm just not sure if I like the look of them enough to spend the money... Or if I'd rather go it alone so to speak and try and mod a res into looking like a virus capsule myself.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 120 (Unique: 96)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashZero View Post

I was looking but don't really know what I'm looking for... suggestions?
You can check out the usual review sites eg. Martins' liquid lab and Skinneelabs for hard data but I don't think they have reviews for all the tops that are out there. Off the top of my head it seems the EK and Bitspower tops are the most popular. EK makes a top specifically for mounting two pumps in two separate loops like you want to do but I'm not sure if anyone else does. I use a DD monsoon dual-bay res/pump so I don't have any personal experience with anything else I'm afraid.
Quote:
Already thinking the Typhoons would be what I get, the question is if I can fit push-pull in the top of the case without needing more space than there is
If I have it right the rad you chose is 37mm, so the sandwich would be 87mm. This build uses the same reservoirs radiators and it looks like it fits in with about an inch to spare so you should be good. AP-29's in push-pull should make for a pretty good breeze thumb.gif
Quote:
Have thought of fan controller, was thinking NZXT Technologies Sentry Mix LED Illuminated Fan Controller with Six 50-Watt Channels, but if I see a nice one with dials instead I'd probably get the dial one instead...
I like Lamptron, they make excellent controllers that also look really good IMO. By my calculations six AP-29's come out to about 15W so 30-watt channels should be enough. The ultimate controller is of course the Aquero 5 if you really want to go overboard.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Got quite a few things ordered from FrozenCPU now, (damn living in Canada and the long processing and shipping times on anything even remotely cool mad.gif) Will update op with pics when order arrives smile.gif

Still have to decide on a fan controller, that Aquero looks real nice, but i've never had a fan controller before so I have no idea how difficult something like it would be to get setup and working correctly (especially when there will be like 12 fans in the case (ROFL water cooling and I'm STILL going to have more fans in my new rig than I do in my current one biggrin.gif)

Looks like I will have to custom fabricate my fan covers as I can't find a decent looking Umbrella Corp logo one (if anyone knows where one can be found I'd almost prefer to buy one then make my own since I don't have access to anything that will cut small things like them easily)

Next order will be for the actual components that DO stuffs (My GF was freeking when she saw how much I was spending and pointed out that its only the first of several order from places everywhere (again DAMN being in Canada...soon as you want water cooling anything you're mostly screwed into buying from multiple places thou Frozen carried a bit more than I thought which should save a bit of time))

Hopefully the case and the WC components will arrive close to the same time (current estimate is a week or two cryingsmiley.gif ) At which point I will begin the mod of the case to fit the bottom rad, and see just how much work will be required for the pumps + res's to fit where I want them..... and if I'm luck decide I like the front panel of the case...if not make an order for some material and create one I do like.

+REP to threephi for both pointing me at that dual pump top and that push pull build link THANKS!

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

How does this look for a (not even close to scale) loop now that I am for sure going to have the mobo WB?

EDIT:

It has occurred to me that I have no flow indicator..which is rather required I think...Suggestions on what to get?

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

after much waiting..the first order of several has cleared customs and arrived...

can't wait for more to arrive smile.gif

(white boxes are rads, stupid phone pics of them look like crap so I will upload them when i get home from work)

post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

and the case modding has started...removal of the bottom hard drive holder was not as smooth as i'd planned smile.gif Since they put a spacer gasket between the top of it and the bottom of the hot swap tray, the choices became take out all the front cages from top to bottom and then replace the top ones, and there rivets..or use the super duper special tool (which is what I did) heres some pics of the removed holder sides....

to those who are interested, the "special tool" was a hammer biggrin.gif

[keep in mind I had already drilled out the front rivets, and ground down both of the top rivets BEFORE going at it with the hammer, else I would likely have damaged stuff I wanted to keep...]

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 08:56 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 94 (Unique: 82)
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

currently waiting on orders....

FrozenCPU.....

Part # Product Description Qty Price Total
ex-blc-569
EK Supreme HF Universal CPU Liquid Cooling Block w/ LGA 2011 Hardware - Rev 3 - Acetal (Sockets 775 / 1156 / 1366 / 2011 / 939 / 940 / 754 / AM2 / AM2+ / AM3)
$71.95 $71.95
tsl-44
PrimoChill Anti-Kink Coils - 3/4 OD" Tubing - UV Red
$3.99 $11.97
tsl-47
PrimoChill Anti-Kink Coils - 3/4 OD" Tubing - Clear
$3.99 $11.97
ex-pmp-97
EK 5.25" Mountable D5 Dual Loop Top - Black Acetal - Laing D5 / Swiftech MCP650/655 (EK-D5 Dual TOP 2-Loop G1/4 - Black Acetal)
$89.95 $89.95
koo-250
Koolance QDC (Extreme Flow) No-Spill, Male Compression (13mm, 1/2" x 19mm, 3/4")(VL4N-M13-19S)
$14.99 $29.98
koo-249
Koolance QDC (Extreme Flow) No-Spill, Female Compression (13mm, 1/2" x 19mm, 3/4")(VL4N-F13-19S)
$15.99 $31.98
fan-809
Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm x 25mm Fan - 3000 RPM (D1225C12B7AP-29)
$22.95 $275.40
ex-blc-757
EK FC Bridge Dual Serial - SLI Connection (EK-FC Bridge DUAL Serial)
• Add a Pair of Link Connectors: Link GeForce x 2 ($27.00)
$47.99 $47.99
too-27
Kingwin Anti-Static Wrist Band (ATS-W24)
$5.99 $5.99
pad-200
ModRight Super Large Anti-Static Mod-Mat Work and Assembly Surface - Version 2 (Over 47" x 23" in Size)
• Select an Extra Set of Grounding Straps: Anti-Static Grounding Cord Set($5.99)
$45.98 $45.98
caf-52
Jolt Cola - High Caffeine Beverage - 24 Pack (16oz Cans)
$29.99 $59.98
ex-res-43
Danger Den Fillport - Chrome
• Select Your Barb (Qty. 1): 1/2x3/4" Compression Fitting ($7.99)
$21.98 $21.98
ex-rad-132
Koolance 3-Fan Radiator Shroud - Black (SHR-1020BK)
$39.99 $39.99
bus-243
Lamptron FC Touch - 30W - 6 Channel Aluminum Rheobus w/ Touch Screen - Black (FCT) HOT ITEM
$74.99 $74.99
ex-tub-1255
Monsoon .999 Fine Silver Bullet Antimicrobial G 1/4 Plug - Black (MON-PLUG-AG-BLK)
$5.95 $11.90
ex-blc-1085
EK GeForce 680 GTX VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Acetal (EK-FC680 GTX - Acetal)
• Select an Optional Backplate: Ek Geforce 680 GTX Backplate - Black ($31.99)
$137.94 $137.94
ex-blc-1085
EK GeForce 680 GTX VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Acetal (EK-FC680 GTX - Acetal)
• Select an Optional Backplate: Ek Geforce 680 GTX Backplate - Black ($31.99)
$137.94 $137.94
ex-blc-1027
EK ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Full Board Cooling Block Kit - Acetal (EK-FB KIT RE4 - Acetal)
$129.99 $129.99
thr-129
Arctic Cooling MX-4 Super High Performance Non-Conductive Thermal Compound (20g)
$29.95 $59.90
flc-mnp-01
MNPCTech PC Modder Ruler & Gauge
$32.99 $32.99
psu-173
FrozenCPU 20-pin Power Supply Jump Start Connector
$2.99 $2.99
too-40
2" x 180' Modding Masking Tape
$9.99 $19.98
ex-res-46
Danger Den Fillport - Copper / Red
• Select Your Barb (Qty. 1): 1/2x3/4" Compression Fitting ($7.99)
$21.98 $21.98
ex-tub-1290
Swiftech Lok-Seal™ Compression Fitting G1/4 Thread - 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD - Black (3-4X1-2-G1-4-CF-BK)
$7.99 $111.86
koo-158
Koolance INS-FM17N Coolant Flow Meter
• Select Optional Adapter Cable: Flow Meter Fequency Adapter ($22.99)
$46.98 $46.98
koo-158
Koolance INS-FM17N Coolant Flow Meter
• Select Optional Adapter Cable: Flow Meter Fequency Adapter ($22.99)

[btw FrozenCPU is great smile.gif when the last few items ended up not showing in my actual order, once i mentioned it to them, it was solved super fast biggrin.gif ]

Frozen Q....

Liquid Fusion - 250mm
Helix Rod Color One
Dark Blue
Helix Rod Color Two
Dark Blue
Side Ports
No
lf250-DKBLUE-DKBLUE-SPNO 1 $104.99
Liquid Fusion - 250mm
Helix Rod Color One
Dark Green
Helix Rod Color Two
Dark Green
Side Ports
No
lf250-DKGREE-DKGREE-SPNO 1 $104.99
Subtotal $209.98
Shipping & Handling

{edit -- damn those cart posts showed up kinda bad...}

Tonight I plan to tape off and cut the bottom of my case to fit the bottom rad... and take a more serious look as to how i'm going to mount those two res from FrozenQ since I have to make sure the hotswap board doesn't end up in the way....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in