Waterless Coolant - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

View Poll Results: Does waterless coolant seem like a good idea as a PC coolant?
Yes it looks like an awesome PC coolant! 0 0%
I'm curious to see somebody try it 5 27.78%
Meh, I'll stick with distilled water... 6 33.33%
No, total gimmick... 3 16.67%
I like turtles! 4 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Waterless Coolant

 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Epitope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,932
Rep: 205 (Unique: 183)
So I was watching Jay Leno's channel on youtube and he did a feature on "waterless coolant". Specifically Evan's Waterless Coolant.
http://www.evanscooling.com/

This stuff is made to replace water in car engines and claims to last the life of the vehicle. It is less corrosive than water so it will not corrode your parts. It is used in race cars and other high performance applications.

However, this is not what made me interested in this as a PC coolant. What got me interested was the fact it has a much much higher boiling point than water. This makes cavitation a non issue according to the manufacturer. This got me wondering if it could outperform distilled water since you can crank pump speeds higher. If a higher volume of cool liquid flows through your waterblock it might make up for its lower specific heat than water.

EDIT: I guess I should add (for those who don't know) cavitation is the creation of bubbles in the coolant at the pump impeller. It results from extreme low pressure zones in the impeller at high speeds. This causes a localized boiling effect inside the pump and causes damage to the impeller. A fluid with a higher boiling point will naturally have a decreased tendency to cavitate in a high speed pump.

Just an idea. It's expensive but you would only need 1 bottle for a PC system and you should be able to collect it and reuse it any time you need to take apart your loop. I'm curious what you guys think about this stuff. The fact it is totally non corrosive, lasts forever, and will be immune to cavitation (what often kills pumps) makes it seem pretty cool to me.

EDIT #2: I was also wondering if this would eliminate galvanization. If it did that would allow people to mix aluminum and copper parts with no worries.

Cheers thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman_90 go_quote.gif
Too many loopholes in evolution to actually believe it. I do believe animals can adapt things, but the idea we can from a pre-moral soup, from an explosion in space is ludicrous
Epitope is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Founder
 
LiquidHaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 1,978
Rep: 78 (Unique: 72)
that looks VERY interesting. i've ran fesers coolant a long time ago, now im running distilled water but lately i've been getting the itch to try something new.
i was thinking about the ice dragon nano coolant but this looks pretty nice as well.
i wish i had some extra blocks around to test it out though.

www.liquid.haus
Team Heatkiller
LiquidHaus is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 03:53 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
nleksan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,505
Rep: 660 (Unique: 521)
Used it in my track car (heavily modified BMW 328Ci) and it was a waste of money. I have always had the best temps with distilled water and Redline Water Wetter.

"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places"Ernest Hemingway
sniper.gifS.T.A.L.K.E.R FAN CLUB aaskull.gif

~*~ THE TAO OF BACKUP ~*~

PLEASE DOUBLE-CHECK ANY ANSWERS I MAY PROVIDE, AS I AM HUMAN AND QUITE FALLIBLE
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Rooted & Running JBSourcery FINAL & LeanKernel Experimental
nleksan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 06:30 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 2,735
Rep: 276 (Unique: 197)
We have tested this stuff just watch you temps they shoot though the roof. It is not as good as normal DI by any means and adds upwards of 15c to 20c ontop of you temps.It was so shockingly bad it was removed from the system with in 1 hour. We looked at this about 1 to 2 years ago so i don't know if any thing has changed since then. All so costs a absolute fortune.

spam1.gifspam1.gifspam1.gif
Mayhem is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 09:05 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
nleksan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,505
Rep: 660 (Unique: 521)
Glad to see my automotive experience translates into the liquid cooled PC realm smile.gif

"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places"Ernest Hemingway
sniper.gifS.T.A.L.K.E.R FAN CLUB aaskull.gif

~*~ THE TAO OF BACKUP ~*~

PLEASE DOUBLE-CHECK ANY ANSWERS I MAY PROVIDE, AS I AM HUMAN AND QUITE FALLIBLE
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Rooted & Running JBSourcery FINAL & LeanKernel Experimental
nleksan is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 04:05 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,203
Rep: 347 (Unique: 263)
If you look at MSDS of evans coolant, it is ethylene glycol + propylene glycol + corrosion inhibitors. Nothing special at all about it. Other then the fact it will have ~1/3 heat capacity of water and 1/3 thermal conductance of water, and will have about 1/3 flow from thick viscosity of propylene glycol, and result in huge increase in core temps. Just 50% propylene glycol + water caused 8C worse core temps in skinneelabs testing. Now imagine no water at all, just all propylene gycol and eythylene glycol, so will increase core temps by significantly more than 8C.

In our pumps, there is no boiling and no cavitation, so no use at all for glycols. If you want anticorrosion, just get concentrated inhibitors without the glycol.

No intelligent reason to put 68% glycol, 30% propylene glycol, 2% inhibitors in one's car....let alone in a computer loop where the boiling/freezing temps are completely irrelevant. The only difference in a water loop you will see is MUCH higher core temps from combination of very poor thermal properties and much reduced flow from the thick viscosity of the glycol mix.

marketing hype aside, if the stuff was so great, all car manufactures would eliminate water and run same. You can buy all the ingredients for a few bucks at any chemical plant.

opt33 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Epitope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,932
Rep: 205 (Unique: 183)
Quote:
Originally Posted by opt33 View Post

If you look at MSDS of evans coolant, it is ethylene glycol + propylene glycol + corrosion inhibitors. Nothing special at all about it. Other then the fact it will have ~1/3 heat capacity of water and 1/3 thermal conductance of water, and will have about 1/3 flow from thick viscosity of propylene glycol, and result in huge increase in core temps. Just 50% propylene glycol + water caused 8C worse core temps in skinneelabs testing. Now imagine no water at all, just all propylene gycol and eythylene glycol, so will increase core temps by significantly more than 8C.
In our pumps, there is no boiling and no cavitation, so no use at all for glycols. If you want anticorrosion, just get concentrated inhibitors without the glycol.
No intelligent reason to put 68% glycol, 30% propylene glycol, 2% inhibitors in one's car....let alone in a computer loop where the boiling/freezing temps are completely irrelevant. The only difference in a water loop you will see is MUCH higher core temps from combination of very poor thermal properties and much reduced flow from the thick viscosity of the glycol mix.
marketing hype aside, if the stuff was so great, all car manufactures would eliminate water and run same. You can buy all the ingredients for a few bucks at any chemical plant.

In the video he claims it is non toxic and does not contain ethylene glycol. I'm not sure your link is for the same product. But it appears to be... Maybe the guy is full of crap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman_90 go_quote.gif
Too many loopholes in evolution to actually believe it. I do believe animals can adapt things, but the idea we can from a pre-moral soup, from an explosion in space is ludicrous
Epitope is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 03:16 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,203
Rep: 347 (Unique: 263)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epitope View Post

In the video he claims it is non toxic and does not contain ethylene glycol. I'm not sure your link is for the same product. But it appears to be... Maybe the guy is full of crap...

They have 4 different ones, though all are just ordinary glycols + inhibitors. The non-toxic one is with just propylene glycol and inhibitors, but that would be the worst for cooling (1/4 thermal conductance and 1/4 sp heat of water) and very viscous and slow flow.... there are applications for all glycol cooling, but cars and computers are not among them. I gave msds for the best performing one (thermally) though it would still be unacceptable thermals for water cooling. Air cooling would give better temps than any of their all glycol fluids.

opt33 is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 05:03 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
nleksan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,505
Rep: 660 (Unique: 521)
That is why they are a joke among the autocross and racing community

"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places"Ernest Hemingway
sniper.gifS.T.A.L.K.E.R FAN CLUB aaskull.gif

~*~ THE TAO OF BACKUP ~*~

PLEASE DOUBLE-CHECK ANY ANSWERS I MAY PROVIDE, AS I AM HUMAN AND QUITE FALLIBLE
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Rooted & Running JBSourcery FINAL & LeanKernel Experimental
nleksan is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off