Need input on water cooling loop - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Need input on water cooling loop

post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Howdy everybody, let me just start off by saying that I'm new to the site (though I've been lurking for many years). I decided to join in as I know this is an undoubtedly knowledgeable community to immerse myself in. With that being said, I'll cut to the chase.

This will be my first time building a PC and ultimately my first time creating a water cooling loop. I'll start off with what I've gathered thus far. I'm looking to cool three components: the motherboard (ASUS Maximus V FORMULA with stock water block), the CPU (Intel Core i7-3770K) and last but not least the GPU (GeForce GTX 690 with XSPC Razor water block). I've also chosen my reservoir (Maelstrom 5 1/4" Dual Bay Reservoir with pre-installed MCP35X pump) and decided I'll be using compression fittings. This leaves many questions still unanswered.

I was told the HWLabs GTX 360 radiator combined with high RPM fans would provide enough cooling for this loop. Is that recommended? I'm not planning on overclocking anything, I want to create a water cooling loop in an attempt to prolong the life of my PC as much as I can, since it will be relatively expensive. My basement (where I will be keeping this rig) is fairly cold all year, averaging at about 17 °C.
I'm also in need of a full tower case with a window on the left side panel that will fit an adequate radiator, hold four 5 1/4" bays (for my reservoir, fan controller and optical drive) and match my overall red/grey/black color scheme.
I'm having trouble selecting a good CPU water block as well, there's so many choices.

I know I'm probably asking a lot but I do appreciate any help and enlightenment on the situation. Please don't hesitate to ask questions and feel free to suggest anything; if it exceeds my budget I'll speak up.
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 12:56 PM
RGBKB.net

Rep: 250 (Unique: 235)
That rad should be enough. It's got a relatively thick FPI, so high-rpm fans would be better. Also, it's 54mm thick, which would perform very well. Use some yate loons or Scythe Gentle Typhoons. Go for push/pull as well.

As for a waterblock, I would go for a swiftech apogee HD or an xspc raystorm.

Also, what size tubing do you want to use? With compression fittings OD and ID are very important.

post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 01:23 PM

Looks like it would dissipate about 400ish watts with 3k RPM fans.

http://martinsliquidlab.org/2012/04/09/hardware-labs-gtx-360-radiator/4/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I was thinking about using 3/8" x 1/2" or 3/8" x 5/8", would those work or would another size be recommended?
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Also, I know the GTX 690 has a 300W TDP and that the i7-3770K has a 77W TDP but I was unable to find any information regarding the Maximus V FORMULA'S chipset TDP, does such knowledge exist and is it even relevant?

About the tests done on the GTX 360, what heat dissipation could be expected from a push-pull configuration?
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 09:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 128 (Unique: 95)
first of all, whats your budget... best performaning rad on the market atm is the NexXxos full copper... case very much depends on your budget, but you should look at the Genesis 9000 by AZZA... its a well thought out case and very accommodating to WC setups at only $180 or so... also, i would go for a lower FPI rad (the full copper is better at medium fan speeds)... i would also be wary of all that on just one 360mm rad if you are going for extended life... i would try a 480 and possibly a 240 as well... also, you should note that there is hardly ever a benefit to WCing a motherboard other then aesthetics... lastly, you fans matter almost as much as your RAD choice does... i am personally a fan of Cougar Vortex low speed fans... they are some of the best static pressure fans on the market (and should be used in push mainly) and have very low noise... i would also get yourself a fan controler to undervlot these fans just slightly so they are dead silent

EDIT: sry about the wall of text, but i hope it helps some smile.gif

EDIT2: the thicker the wall of the tubing (and the tubung as a whole), the harder it is to kink, but it is also harder to bend the way you would like it... i am personally a fan of 3/8 x 1/2 tubing, but everyone has their own preferences

Favorite OCN Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Look at it this way, opinions are like buttholes. everyone has one, and they all stink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal0307 go_quote.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmfish go_quote.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle382 go_quote.gif

very pretty, love the dual frozxorz also.
Very pretty!? We're not describing women here, it's a computer! biggrin.gif
Exactly! It's down right sexy!
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for the reply, your advice is definitely helping.
The Genesis 9000 is surely an option, though I'm not too keen on it's aesthetics.
I was looking into the Corsair 800D but since you suggested I use a 480mm radiator it wouldn't be suitable.
The SilverStone TJ07 looks perfect except for it's price, which is pushing my budget.
Not sure where that leaves me in terms of case choices...

I had already planned on getting a fan controller so that'll work out, as well as the 3/8" x 1/2" which I've decided on.

When you mentioned the NexXxoS radiators, were you referring to the ST30 models or the UT60 models?
post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 04:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 128 (Unique: 95)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavanaughty View Post

Thanks for the reply, your advice is definitely helping.
The Genesis 9000 is surely an option, though I'm not too keen on it's aesthetics.
I was looking into the Corsair 800D but since you suggested I use a 480mm radiator it wouldn't be suitable.
The SilverStone Temjin Series TJ07 looks perfect except for it's price, which is pushing my budget.
Not sure where that leaves me in terms of case choices...
I had already planned on getting a fan controller so that'll work out, as well as the 3/8" x 1/2" which I've decided on.
When you mentioned the NexXxoS radiators, were you referring to the ST30 models or the UT60 models?

the 800d would work just fine along with the switch 810... i would just use more then 360mm of rad space... as for st30 vs xt45 vs ut60 vs monsta, that all depends in what case you pick and what fits in it... you may also want to wait for the 900D to come out... i believe the predictions are mid november smile.gif... again, if u post you general budget (for either case or entire loop) im sure we can be much more help smile.gif

Favorite OCN Quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Look at it this way, opinions are like buttholes. everyone has one, and they all stink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal0307 go_quote.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmfish go_quote.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle382 go_quote.gif

very pretty, love the dual frozxorz also.
Very pretty!? We're not describing women here, it's a computer! biggrin.gif
Exactly! It's down right sexy!
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

The Switch 810 looks great but I'm not sure if I could fit an optical drive, fan controller and dual bay reservoir in it.
Would it be possible to fit a 360mm radiator in the top of the 800D and a 240mm in the bottom?

As for my budget (I hate that word tonguesmiley.gif) I guess I'd be looking to spend $600 to $700 on just the water cooling loop itself, the case is separate.

Thus far I'm looking at: the XSPC Razor water block for the GTX 690, the Maelstrom 5 1/4" Dual Bay Reservoir with pre-installed MCP35X pump, the XSPC RayStorm for the i7-3770K, compression fittings and 3/8" x 1/2" tubing.
post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I hate to bump my own thread but any reply would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in