[Build log] Clementine - a tasty Bitfenix Prodigy - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build log] Clementine - a tasty Bitfenix Prodigy

post #11 of 119 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 19 (Unique: 18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsocontrer01 View Post

Awesome paint job...can you elaborate more on your painting process? I am interested in painting my case and would like to some tips.

Hello jsocontrer01! Welcome on OCN and Thanks for your comment!

The paint is actually a powder paint.

Powder coating is a type of coating that is applied as a free-flowing, dry powder. The main difference between a conventional liquid paint and a powder coating is that the powder coating does not require a solvent to keep the binder and filler parts in a liquid suspension form. The coating is typically applied electrostatically and is then cured under heat to allow it to flow and form a "skin". The powder may be a thermoplastic or a thermoset polymer. It is usually used to create a hard finish that is tougher than conventional paint. From wiki

The process on my prodigy is rather simple

First, Parts has been thoroughly cleaned. This is done utilizing liquid degreasers & cleaning solutions. Once everything has been Sand Blasted, Parts will then be Steam cleaned and Phosphated.
After that it is the conventional process and the oven, etc.

If you chose to go this route, which i suggest as the result is amazing, you should be aware of couple things. Powdercoating is thicker than liquid paint so you might have trouble reassembling your case,. You need to ''plug'' the hole, What hole? Every hole you dont want to be filled by powder. Also you cant powdercoat plastic due to the heating process. Anyway i think i covered the base but if you have any question, feel free to let me know and i will try to answer with the best of my knowledge!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 119 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 05:45 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Thanks you so much for the process and the welcome. I am a newb to the whole process and I think the the prodigy is an awesome case for my first build. I am an Apple guy who now wants to and needs to switch to PC. I look forward to seeing more of your build.

Cheers!
post #13 of 119 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 09:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 190 (Unique: 113)
Gotta love that ORANGE. wink.gif. Great looking Powder Coat. thumb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 119 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsocontrer01 View Post

Thanks you so much for the process and the welcome. I am a newb to the whole process and I think the the prodigy is an awesome case for my first build. I am an Apple guy who now wants to and needs to switch to PC. I look forward to seeing more of your build.
Cheers!

You are welcome! If you are planning to build in a Prodigy, i suggest you check this thread: Bitfenix Prodigy Owner's Club, you will find many information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanoverfist View Post

Gotta love that ORANGE. wink.gif. Great looking Powder Coat. thumb.gif

Thank you for your comment Hanoverfist biggrin.gif Yes the paint came very nice honestly! I hope my build will turn as good as your Electric Orange :3
post #15 of 119 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Couple pictures of the motherboard, which is a Zotac Z68 mITX

I think its a pretty solid board with good features. NCIX.ca is actually selling them for 112.80$ (Its a 53$ instant rebate)
If you have any question about the board, feel free to ask and i will try to answer as soon as possible! Thanks for watching.
post #16 of 119 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 11:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 66 (Unique: 40)
Damn Charley that paint job is stunning! should look awesome once it starts to get filled biggrin.gif

Project Log: Evolution | K2 | 21
post #17 of 119 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editor22 View Post

Damn Charley that paint job is stunning! should look awesome once it starts to get filled biggrin.gif

Thanks Editor22! I really think it'll look great so stay tuned!

For now, here's couple pictures of the ram i will probably be using for the build. It's an AVEXIR Core 8GB DDR3-1600 CL9 Memory Kit.
This is a Kit i previously reviewed and let me tell you its a pretty piece of hardware. If you want to read my review you can do it here

Heres a video of them in action!

If you have any question concerning the ram, just comment it below and i should be able to answer you!
Thanks for watching and don't forget to tell me what you think so far!
post #18 of 119 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 02:51 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Thanks for the PM mate, this is by far my favourite painted prodigy. Great Job. Sub'd
post #19 of 119 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosha View Post

Thanks for the PM mate, this is by far my favourite painted prodigy. Great Job. Sub'd

Thank you Mosha! Your comment is very appreciated. Stay tuned, much more coming soon! biggrin.gif
post #20 of 119 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 11:29 AM
Eh?

Rep: 42 (Unique: 42)
this looks interesting, and i love the name tongue.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in