XSPC 5.25 Dual Bay Reservoir LEAKING at pump [w/ Pics] - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

XSPC 5.25 Dual Bay Reservoir LEAKING at pump [w/ Pics]

post #1 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I cannot for the life of me get this leak to stop! Right where the pump screws on to the reservoir a small dripplet of water continually forms when the impeller is spinning. I know it's probably the o-ring, and I mixed them up when I opened the box but I've tried all combinations, even my last attempt using 2 o-rings still allowed the drops to form... I'm at the point where I'm ready to seal the damn thing with epoxy! mad.gif

Check it out:

Am I doing something wrong here? The fastening ring was screwed as tight as I could manage to get it, maybe overtightened causing the o-ring to compress too far? I'm not sure but would appreciate any insight here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 12:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 9)
How old is it? I just bought a pump and have bad noise issues, XSPC is supposedly going to send me a brand new one no strings attached. Maybe you should write to them if it's not that old (or whoever you bought it from). That's not right, there shouldn't be no leaks on it.

post #3 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 12:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 25 (Unique: 19)
you are trying to use 2 o-rings..... you only use one. take the o-ring off of the pump and leave the one that is in the bay and screw it back on.

with 2 rings your not lettings either one seal properly and the motor is not getting seated all the way either. the reason you have two rings is because one came with the stock top of the motor and one came with the bay, rings always come with the fittings, not the motors.... anywho like i said just use one ring and forget this ever happened lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 12:32 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covert_Death View Post

you are trying to use 2 o-rings..... you only use one. take the o-ring off of the pump and leave the one that is in the bay and screw it back on.

with 2 rings your not lettings either one seal properly and the motor is not getting seated all the way either. the reason you have two rings is because one came with the stock top of the motor and one came with the bay, rings always come with the fittings, not the motors.... anywho like i said just use one ring and forget this ever happened lol

You misread his post. He said on his last attempt he tried using 2 orings. So I'm guessing its safe to assume that he has tried one already and still had it leaking.

I would contact XSPC

post #5 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 12:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 25 (Unique: 19)
lols IDK how i skipped over that sentence... go back to one o-ring though, 2 is only going to make things WORSE for the reasons i mentioned above. crank down the threads as tight as you can get them and make sure the back part (the part that threads on the back of the pump to keep it tight) isn't cracked anywhere, that would be the only thing i think could cause a leak since your rad threading looks fine
post #6 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 12:54 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 144 (Unique: 106)
Use a little bit of Vaseline on the O-ring as temp fix, call XSPC?

post #7 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 05:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 10)
I would just buy some plumbers teflon tape for the threads and call it a day.

Even as a 14 year old kid with a custom loop 7 years ago I didn't trust o-rings lol. Had teflon tape on all my fittings.

Everything's on hold! All income diverted to this little guy.
[Build Log] Silverstone FT02 Watercooling
post #8 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 06:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 144 (Unique: 123)
I have the same pump/res. There are no cracks in the housing?
post #9 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 08:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1163 (Unique: 706)
Take the oring off the pump, you only want one down in the channel. Now take the channel oring out and carefully clean and examine it for no cracks or debris. Now carefully examine and clean the channel bottom surface to make sure there are no burs or debris.

Typically a leak like that is due to a plastic shaving or similar stuck between the oring and mating surface or perhaps a casting flaw in the surface. Use something to run around that base to feel for smoothness.

+1 on the vaseline, many manufacturers use an insoluble grease to hold orings in place and it does also help lubricate the orings to seal better.

post #10 of 149 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Wow thanks for all the feedback guys, I'll try one more time with the o-ring around the pump removed, maybe with some plumbing tape around the threads since I don't have any Vaseline. My other question, which o-ring is most likely to have come with the reservoir?

I have 3... in order from left to right:

1. smallest circumference & thinnest height
  2. thickest height, fits perfectly in reservoir channel, needs to stretch to fit the pump
  3. maybe 1 millimeter thinner than o-ring #2 in height, needs to be scrunched a little to fit the channel, fits perfectly around the pump

I'm leaning towards o-ring #2, although it was the one originally depicted in the reservoir channel above.
Worst comes to worst I'll contact XSPC but if it's something I'm doing wrong I'd like to figure that out first hah thanks again everyone.

UPDATE: I have it running in a small self loop so I don't have to keep messing with my entire rig, but it's not looking good.

In small shake test a lot of water managed to escape the seal around the pump... and it's still dripping. I'm starting to think I just got a bum reservoir frown.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in