Loop Review (Now moved to 900D) - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Loop Review (Now moved to 900D)

post #31 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 04:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 3 (Unique: 3)
Cmon guys, DROP the flowcharts already. For a loop like this, ANY popular pump will suffice, be it MCP355, MCP 35x or MCP 655 blablabla. Best quality pump is without a doubt the D5/MCP655 though. That pump runs cold, it runs silent and it has only one slight weakness and that is feed. You absolutely need to make sure the D5/MCP655 has sufficient feed either through gravity or pump mounted reservoir, otherwise it may cavitate a bit easier than those other small smurf pumps. biggrin.gif

OP, your order looks fine, I'd stay away from the nickel plated EK products though, I just had an issue with my GTX670 EK Nickel plated block, where the nickel flaked off internally. Just a heads up, better to go for copper surfaces.. Have fun with your first liquid setup! smile.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
Computer Art

Rep: 304 (Unique: 206)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal3Wolf View Post

I cant say for sure but unless you take it apart and change the led the color wont change.

Taking it apart is what I meant, I was curious if anyone has seen it done. Reason being is that my build theme is green, black and a little white. I thought it would be a cool touch to somehow make the ROG light green.

post-flame-small.gifTEARS IN RAIN A Blade Runner inspired build (2017)post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gifPARVUM WARFARE An Advanced Warfare themed build (2014)post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gifPARVUM TITANFALL A Titanfall themed build (2014)post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gifROBOCOP A Robocop themed 900D build (2013/14)post-flame-small.gif

post #33 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 06:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 960 (Unique: 705)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameswalt1 View Post

Taking it apart is what I meant, I was curious if anyone has seen it done. Reason being is that my build theme is green, black and a little white. I thought it would be a cool touch to somehow make the ROG light green.

Should be able to do that just try to match the leds with right voltage ones so you dont burn them up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 09:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 660 (Unique: 521)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiraq View Post

Cmon guys, DROP the flowcharts already. For a loop like this, ANY popular pump will suffice, be it MCP355, MCP 35x or MCP 655 blablabla. Best quality pump is without a doubt the D5/MCP655 though. That pump runs cold, it runs silent and it has only one slight weakness and that is feed. You absolutely need to make sure the D5/MCP655 has sufficient feed either through gravity or pump mounted reservoir, otherwise it may cavitate a bit easier than those other small smurf pumps. biggrin.gif

OP, your order looks fine, I'd stay away from the nickel plated EK products though, I just had an issue with my GTX670 EK Nickel plated block, where the nickel flaked off internally. Just a heads up, better to go for copper surfaces.. Have fun with your first liquid setup! smile.gif

FYI, the D5 "runs cool" because it is cooled directly by the water it is pumping, thereby adding additional heat to the water. DDC's "run hot" because they are cooled by air, thus adding a very negligible amount of heat to the loop.

For me, I'll take small, air-cooled, immensely-powerful pressure (which is really the only important stat; FLOWRATE MEANS NOTHING without a P-Q curve!), and just because they are awesome!

"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places"Ernest Hemingway
sniper.gifS.T.A.L.K.E.R FAN CLUB aaskull.gif

~*~ THE TAO OF BACKUP ~*~

PLEASE DOUBLE-CHECK ANY ANSWERS I MAY PROVIDE, AS I AM HUMAN AND QUITE FALLIBLE
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Rooted & Running JBSourcery FINAL & LeanKernel Experimental
post #35 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 09:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 118 (Unique: 108)
When I have my mcp655 speed to 5, then turn it down to 1, I see zero effect on temps. I imagine when I have two 360mm rads, my mobo, cpu and 690 in a loop, that will stay true. Within margin of error temp difference from a completely inaudible 1 speed, to a very noisy 5 speed...

T-mobile OnePlus 7 Pro
2014 Tesla Model S
2006 Suzuki GSXR-600
post #36 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 02:11 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by nleksan View Post

FYI, the D5 "runs cool" because it is cooled directly by the water it is pumping, thereby adding additional heat to the water. DDC's "run hot" because they are cooled by air, thus adding a very negligible amount of heat to the loop.

For me, I'll take small, air-cooled, immensely-powerful pressure (which is really the only important stat; FLOWRATE MEANS NOTHING without a P-Q curve!), and just because they are awesome!

In a loop like OP's, it doesn't matter which pump you choose out of a performance point of view. Any popular pump will suffice. I got a FIY for you as well:

Performance alone doesn't really paint the whole picture very well. The D5s are more silent at like pumping powers than DDCs, the D5s are better protected from water damage, the D5s do not have heat build up problems, and finally the D5s have a manual speed control which is a simple and easy means to adjust speed manually. D5s also generally have had fewer problems with failure than DDCs.

Stating anything else is pure fanboyism.

post #37 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 02:28 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 55 (Unique: 45)
Different pumps for different situations is what this all boils down to. Anyone that states that one pump is better than the other in all situations is in denial. There can be no doubt that the DDC series has higher pressure and does better in high restriction loops. The trade off is noise. There is just too much evidence, including actual testing as opposed to blind fan boy statements, that any rational person can deny it.
In addition to raw facts, there is also the personal preference aspect. Some folks will always prefer the DDC series, some the D5. Some will prefer a non Laing solution.
So, feel free to state your opinions, however, make sure that you identify them as opinions, and don't argue with facts until you have your own facts and actually take the time to do some research.

i7 3770K, 47X100= 4.7GHz at 1.33V, ASROCK Z77 Extreme4, 2 X 4GB Patriot Viper Black Mamba DDR3 1600, GTX 590, 2 X Corsair Force 3 120GB SSDs in RAID 0, Barracuda SATA 7200.10 500GB, Barracuda SATA 7200.11 1000GB Back Ups, OCZ ZX 1250W, Z-5500s, LG Blu Ray Player/DVD Burner, Koolance CTR-CD12 Fan/Pump Controller, Windows 7 X64 Professional, HAF X. Vision Quest 24" WS LCD, Optoma H66 Projector
Cooling: Thermochill PA120.2 GT AP15 in push, DDC 3.25/XSPC Res top, EK Supremacy, XSPC Razor, Coolgate CG-240 Swiftech Helix in push/pull, MCP35X.
post #38 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 04:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

You guys are seriously overexaggerating loop restriction IMO. I've used D5's for setups with 480 radiators in a separate enclosure below the case, with over 15ft 1/2" tubing 1m+ elevation from pump to block(pumps placed at lowest point) and I didn't need to set them faster than 3rd setting to get good enough flow.

Now, I'm not saying that "OMG D5's beat everything!", I'm saying that a pump, especially popular pumps like DDC, D5, 35x etc. performs better than most people reading flowcharts would expect. Overthinking is not always a good thing. smile.gif

post #39 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 05:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 660 (Unique: 521)
First of all, that is a BEAUTIFUL build!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW! I am saving your picture to my archive of fantastic build pics smile.gif

I agree that DDC's in general are more prone to failure than D5's, although I don't know that this is the case for the MCP35X. The reason I like the 35X so much is that you don't have to reach in and manually adjust the speed, it is instantaneously done for you via PWM and the fan curve(s) you set for it. This means that, during the vast majority of use, they ARE silent pumps. The only time I've ever heard mine running was when I intentionally cranked it to full speed (or when filling the loop). Since it's only running at 30% on average, the heat issue is, well, a non-issue as well.

I am not a "fanboy", and I apologize if I came off that way. I have just gotten so used to recommending the 35X whenever another "OMG WHAT PUMP??!?!?!?!!?" thread pops up, due to its versatility and my knowing that the 35X will work pretty much regardless of the loop, that I see it as the top pick for all-around performance.

The Pump Discussion between Martin and the other (I feel bad I forget his name) Mech Engineer going on right now is quite enlightening, and I have been learning a lot that I didn't know before (I am a Biochemical engineer), perhaps the biggest of which is that the "flow rate as advertised" is meaningless; I always had a hunch, but thanks to their extremely well-written posts and pretty charts, that, as well as a number of other things, make much more sense to me now.
I recommend reading through the thread if you haven't!

"The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places"Ernest Hemingway
sniper.gifS.T.A.L.K.E.R FAN CLUB aaskull.gif

~*~ THE TAO OF BACKUP ~*~

PLEASE DOUBLE-CHECK ANY ANSWERS I MAY PROVIDE, AS I AM HUMAN AND QUITE FALLIBLE
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Rooted & Running JBSourcery FINAL & LeanKernel Experimental
post #40 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
Computer Art

Rep: 304 (Unique: 206)
I've decided to try and switch the whole build to a 900D, which to my understanding will be released in the upcoming weeks. I'm going to call frozen cpu in the morning before my order ships and change the phobya 200m rad to a 480mm for the bottom of the 900D. I'm assuming the single pump will still be fine for the the cpu, 3 gpu's, 360mm rad and 480mm rad (?).

I basically was just looking at my haf x nvidia edition trying to plan out the loop etc.. and then I was thinking "why bother with this yr old case". I'm going to place a pre-order for the case on amazon and call frozen cpu in the morning. I'm much more excited about building with the 900d and all of the space it provides.

Thanks for everybody's input. I'll create a short build log when I receive everything.

post-flame-small.gifTEARS IN RAIN A Blade Runner inspired build (2017)post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gifPARVUM WARFARE An Advanced Warfare themed build (2014)post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gifPARVUM TITANFALL A Titanfall themed build (2014)post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gifROBOCOP A Robocop themed 900D build (2013/14)post-flame-small.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in