Not sure which cooler to go for? (XSPC RX360 kit vs EX360 kit vs Corsair H100i) && (Push || pull vs Push && pull) - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Not sure which cooler to go for? (XSPC RX360 kit vs EX360 kit vs Corsair H100i) && (Push || pull vs Push && pull)

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
So by the sounds of that, I want the final performance; and by adding a pushpull system couldn't really benefit my CPU overclocking?

If by adding an extra bank of fans will only give me 2 or 3C difference compared to one bank, I guess I'll just go with one bank. After all that's about 60 euros difference.

However, if by going push-pull I can pump an extra 8-10C, I think this 60 euros is worth spending.

The final result I want to achieve is more along the lines of want to pump the CPU clock as high as possible (if this is even realistic). I did some calculations, though I'm not sure if this is how it works; I have two options, RX360 or EX360.
  • I will assume that I need 2 banks (push pull) on the EX360 to achieve the result of one bank (either push or pull) on the RX360
  • EX360 has higher FPI thus greater static pressure, with 2 banks on push pull with custom fans, I may be able to great this effect with lower RPM
  • RX360 has lower FPI, requiring less static pressure, so with one bank of custom fans would be enough
  • The fans I will be going for are the Noctua NF-F12 PWMs
  • The pricing difference for an RX vs EX is about 30 dollars, and price difference for an extra bank of fans are 60 euros

Therefore, I can still setup partial push-pull on an RX360 only with one bank of noctua fans and the other with XSPC fans. Or two banks (push pull) on noctua fans, but will cost something like an extra 40-50 dollars. So I guess it will work out to be cheaper if I just go RX360 kit with one bank of custom fans, rather than the EX360 kit with two banks of custom fans. I won't be strapped for space in my Switch 810 anyway (I would think).

Would my logic be correct in thinking the above? Or am I totally wrong in some or the whole way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 04:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1163 (Unique: 706)
push plus pull on any slim radiator will outperform any premium rad with push or pull only.

When talking about 1300rpm and slow speed fans IMHO save your money and buy cheaper fans. Something like yate loon slow speed or Helix or Artic Cooling F12s are every bit as good as the Noctua fans and can look better in black or white. More importantly, $5-$10 per fan canget you push plus pull much cheaper.

As far a CPU/ GPU kit, you don't really need much pumping power for that, something in the 6-10 watt range is plenty. You could go with an H220 or XSPC kit for a good price. I am in the process of testing both, currently working on the H220.

Which kit depends a little on what radiator or radiators you can fit. I would generally recommend a 2x120 for CPU 3x120 for CPU + GPU, but you can also add more than one if they fit in your case. For my kit testing, I am figuring on 2x120 then add a 3x120 in the Switch 810, that should be plenty for multi GPU etc.

Stay away from motherboard blocks or other high restriction stuff and either kit pumps will do fine.

If you are trying to decide between RX vs EX vs RS, the RX is slightly stronger than both EX and RS. RS is more high speed fan optimized where the EX slightly tune for slower speed fans. Difference is fairly small though. Push plus pull on either the EX or RS will perform better than the RX in pull or push only.

Hope that helps, if you want to know more about the kits, I am working on them at my blog.

Cheers!
Martin

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 04:47 PM
New to Overclock.net

Here is an old test I ran on the Noctua, it had good noise quality and good pressure (air flow per rpm), but IMHO not worth the extra cost and noise level was really about average.
round10fantestresults.png

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

By the looks of the chart, the AF-15 seemed to have better result in amy of the tests?
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I just checked the price for Gentle Typhoon, it's just 1 euro cheaper than the Noctuas. So What about using the default fans for one side (pull or push) and using the AP-15s on the other side? I've read that it is better to use the same type on both sides, but will it make that much of a difference?
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 01:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenchen View Post

I just checked the price for Gentle Typhoon, it's just 1 euro cheaper than the Noctuas. So What about using the default fans for one side (pull or push) and using the AP-15s on the other side? I've read that it is better to use the same type on both sides, but will it make that much of a difference?
That is another forum myth, mixing fans is perfectly fine. I have mixed pumps and fans on many tinkering tests. Save your money and mix it up..smile.gif

Fans are one of those things that highly depends on where you install them. Out in the open without any ambient noise mounted to a radiator can create som odd things to show up, but buried deep inside a case makes them all perform very similarly particularly in a case full of fans.

I just object to paying $20 for any fan when you can buy good fans for $5 a pop and really good ones for $15.

I actually buy yate loon slow speed fans and pretty happy with them. you can also buy Swiftech helix fans on amazon for $5 each now which look better than the yate and also a great value. GTs are really good fans too, but I struggle spending that sort of money on fans myself. i am cheap.. smile.gif

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

The only thing I really skimped out on in this build I'm going for is the video card (I'm feeling lots of fists clenching right now), but I'm building the machine for a purpose that will not fully utilise the good of up-to-date video cards. I'm happy with my Asus GTX 580 for what it is and how it works with what I want it to work.

For what I'm doing, CPU power is EVERYTHING... So I'm trying to get something to cool my CPU so I can get every 100MHz out of it. And don't want to skimp out on fans, which makes up part of the cooling system, probably one of the integral parts too.

I know WC as a hobby could cost endless, so of course I want to put a cap as to how much I am willing to pay for a set. Initially started with the H100i, then came across the Kraken X60. Now the XSPC kit (and of course the H220). With all those evaluated, XSPC on push pull would be my best bet. If they achieve the same result with whatever fans, I would want something of better quality so I can reuse them later on. I believe a saying; get what you paid for, and I can't justify why would companies make a product that costs 3 if not 4 or 5 times more than the cheaper $5~$10 fans, while achieving no greater results?
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 09:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

I wish I could believe that, but in the fan arena, I just haven't found that. No personal experience with the XSPC fans, but I have personally tested probably around 80 or so fans now.
This was just one of several rounds of testing I've done in the past:
groupphotor6and8.jpg

Although noise level and noise quality are two different things and that's hard to quantify. Some fans do produce a smoother and more pleasant sound that isn't registered by any sound meter where only basic a-weighting is applied. GTs tend to test well in noise level, but drive some people nuts by their odd tone.

In the end, many are too close to notice a real difference so we get very subjective preferences some of which may be the sound quality, some of which is just personal preference. As long as the fans you have are pleasing to your ears, that's all that matters.thumb.gif

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Was this done through systematic testing? As in strict testing protocol and environment? Or was it a general impression from experience?

Did anyone else also feel the same way about different fans?

If this is the case, guess I can just try to find something good looking to go with it.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 06:30 AM
New to Overclock.net

A bit of both. I did set up a fan testing bench to isolate testing noise vs dbA of fans. Tested everything at night in small batches using a yate loon fan as a control and check in check out between batches and produced this:

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/1977/ra7sstreamhvvsall.png

Also recorded videos of each and added in my own subjective noise quality rating here:

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/9652/fantable124.png

In the end results were extremely tight and really was only able to measure differences because of the dead silence environment.

In later tinkering with case testing I noticed some of the not so great fans actually ok when masked with a whole bunch of other noise.

So to me this says, very small differences hard to measure in synthetic testing, extremely hard to measure in real life case applications where multiple noise sources all mix together. This leaves it very subjective and personal preference based. Just don't expect a fan costing 5x more to be 5x better in performance, you will be sorry if you buy both and try them yourself.

Also dbA or noise level is all we can measure. Unfortunately noise level alone does a poor job ad quantifying noise quality. Motor ticks or high pitch whine or other little things can be more annoying than noise level. I attempted to rate that subjectively, but it too is very suspect to case setup. You probably wont hear a little motor tick or rub when the fan is buried deep inside a closed case etc.

Just my experience. I would always recommend buying one fan of a couple you are interested in first to listen and test for yourself. Every ear and person has their own sensitivity to noise and only you can be a good judge of that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in