Not sure which cooler to go for? (XSPC RX360 kit vs EX360 kit vs Corsair H100i) && (Push || pull vs Push && pull) - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Not sure which cooler to go for? (XSPC RX360 kit vs EX360 kit vs Corsair H100i) && (Push || pull vs Push && pull)

post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Noise level is certain important, but for me personally, I would sacrifice noise for performance. I've had machines that are louder than my lawn mower, sure that's annoying, but it's not as annoying as it got to the temperature of an oven running stock T_T

I'm not sure at my level of experience (think of the lowest level on your scale, and go 2 more below that), I'll notice any sound difference or noise level too much noticeable to me. That's why I ask questions here to see what the pros' think or prefer, so I can tune my scale to that.

So what would you recommend for a set of fans of decent build and quality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 09:14 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1163 (Unique: 706)
If you don't mind noise and want quality construction, Delta AFB series fans are some serious fans for higher speeds and built with industrial quality. They also have really good noise level per rpm but they don't do very well at slow speeds. 25mm fans rule the 500-1800rpm area when industrial 38mm fans rule higher speeds. Speed is everything when it comes to bottom line performance. Running 3000rpm Deltas could afford you upwards of 5x the radiator performance vs using 1000rpm fans. GT AP-29a do pretty well also and can go slower better than the deltas.

3000 is usually too loud for most users though where something in the 1300-1800RPM range is generally more accepted as ok. In the 1800RPM range the gentle typhoon AP-15 is a popular one also built with dual ball bearings and more industrial in quality. Some have however found their tone to be annoying and they do have their little harmonic issues at certain rpms. Noise blocker, Zalman, Helix and several other brands make good fans in the 1000-1800 rpm range too with perhaps better noise quality than the GT but not quite up to the same build quality or low noise level. In the 600-1400 rpm range there are many very good options and Swiftech helix, Artic cooling F12, noise blocker, etc. GTs are ok but their bearing noise starts to show a bit are very slow speeds. I am even happy with yate loon slow speeds down this slow. Gets hard to separate them at slower speeds most 25mm fans rated for lower speed do very well and much the same down there.

Depends on how much noise you want to live with and no there is not a one size fits all. Good high speed fans generally do poor at very slow speeds etc. Visual appeal, PWM capability, and accessories also a big factor to consider perhaps more so than performance details.

post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Donkey View Post

The EX360 performs at basically the same level as the RX360 but in a slimmer profile. If you're tight on space I would go with the EX360. However, the EX is a higher FPI rad, which means it will perform better with higher RPM fans. If you're looking for silence and have no space restraints, go with the RX and lower RPM fans. Either way you'll get much better performance than that H100.

Pretty much this.

Also, something to note: RX360 with 6 fans (3 push & 3 pull) > RS360 with 6 fans > RX360 with 3 fans > RS360 with 3 fans.

Personally, I find that 1450RPM or lower fans are for all intents and purposes, nearly silent. Many will run 700-800 RPM fans on their RX360s, but I personally prefer the added cooling without much more noise, that is why I usually use Gentle Typhoon AP-14's on my rigs without a speed controller. They are quiet, do a great job, and make for a very simple installation with a 6-way 3-pin splitter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Does the EX come in here somewhere?
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenchen View Post

Does the EX come in here somewhere?

The EX and RS are pretty synonymous.

EX is 35.5mm thick and is optimized for low speed fans.
RS is 35mm thick and is optimized for the mid to high speed fans.
RX is 60mm thick and is optimized for low speed fans.

post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

The EX and RS are pretty synonymous.

EX is 35.5mm thick and is optimized for low speed fans.
RS is 35mm thick and is optimized for the mid to high speed fans.
RX is 60mm thick and is optimized for low speed fans.

Thanks for the summary, it's very good smile.gif

I think I will go for the EX kit (when they are back in stock) because I prefer the compression fittings, and the D5 which is an overkill now, but may need it some day.

So I guess I've summed it up! EX360 kit with 3 Gentle Typhoon AP-15s and 3 default XSPC fans for a push-pull config. Any final comments or thoughts before I commit?
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Oh one more thing, how's the K2 thermal paste that comes with the kit? Or should I get something else instead?
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:

So I guess I've summed it up! EX360 kit with 3 Gentle Typhoon AP-15s and 3 default XSPC fans for a push-pull config. Any final comments or thoughts before I commit?

Um, you might not want to do that.

The AP-15 fans run at 1850RPM. The XSPC fans that usually come with the kits are typically 1650RPM fans.

I personally would not put different speed fans on one side of the radiator as the other. It very well may not make any difference, but if it were me, when you buy the kit, just get 3 more XSPC fans and have all 6 running the same speed. That is what I did when I got my RayStorm D5 EX360 kit for one of my rigs.

The logic being, if you have a 1650RPM fan on one side pushing air through the radiator and the "pull" fan running at 1850RPM, the higher speed fan might get "starved" for air since the lower speed fan isn't likely to be pushing as much air as the higher speed fans desire. Likewise, if you have a higher speed fan pushing air to a lower speed fan, you could cause a minor pressure build up.

Again, it very well might not make any difference, but if anything, dissimilar fans might end up not being as quiet as similar fans as they are fighting each other with airflow.

Just my 2 cents.

post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I see. This always trigger my thinking, if there are more air being sucked out than pushed in, that supposedly create a lower air pressure in the rad. Doesn't that mean the temperature is cooler? Although maybe that little bit of pressure difference is neglectable.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:

I see. This always trigger my thinking, if there are more air being sucked out than pushed in, that supposedly create a lower air pressure in the rad. Doesn't that mean the temperature is cooler? Although maybe that little bit of pressure difference is neglectable.

I just don't know. I've always just matched fans and especially fan speeds. It might very well work. I will have to defer to someone who has actually tried this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in