Not sure which cooler to go for? (XSPC RX360 kit vs EX360 kit vs Corsair H100i) && (Push || pull vs Push && pull) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Not sure which cooler to go for? (XSPC RX360 kit vs EX360 kit vs Corsair H100i) && (Push || pull vs Push && pull)

post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2013, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hi guys,

This question I ask I know can be quite subjective, but I really cannot decide even after I've seen and read through many reviews and comparisons.

I am building a new machine and will be running semi-custom water loop on it using the XSPC D5 RX360 WC kit. However, I will only be cooling my CPU using it, not looking to cool my video cards any time soon.

I've seen review to say to cool JUST the CPU this RX360 is an overkill by far. And also EX360 would be a better idea for cooling CPU and one GPU.

My thought will be get the best I can for just the CPU so I can do extreme (over 5.0GHz) OCs (not sure if this qualifies as extreme) on a i7 3770K with ROG Maximus V Gene.

My other idea is to get a Corsair H100i and setup either single push or push/pull on it. This also applies to the XSPC kit (push vs push/pull).

So what I can't decide is, RX360 Kit with fans on one side OR both? EX360 Kit with fans on one side OR both? H100i with fans on one side OR both? To be honest, I am leaning towards the RX360 kit, except what I don't know is, whether there is a point where regardless of how strong the custom loop is (at room temp with no chiller), I won't get higher clocks? Or is it that if I pay for a better setup (ie RX360 kit with push pull), I will be able to squeeze a lot more juice out of my system? And also better for later expansion if needed.

Thanks in advanced
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 01:30 AM
Ultimate Rig Winner

Rep: 315 (Unique: 220)
If you can afford to go custom, the do so, AIO's are limited and perform as well as high end air coolers. The H100i also doesnt cool as well as a H80i.

If I were you I would wait for the Swiftech H220, it is an AIO cooler but has native support to put an extra radiator, pump and more GPU blocks. It will launch at $140 so just a bit more expensive than a H100i

wubsmiley.gif OCN changed my life wubsmiley.gif

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 01:40 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 13)
I think for the XSPC kits they only come with fans enough for push..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 01:48 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 85 (Unique: 68)
-edit, nvm.

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 01:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 22 (Unique: 22)
The EX360 performs at basically the same level as the RX360 but in a slimmer profile. If you're tight on space I would go with the EX360. However, the EX is a higher FPI rad, which means it will perform better with higher RPM fans. If you're looking for silence and have no space restraints, go with the RX and lower RPM fans. Either way you'll get much better performance than that H100.

Running an EX240+EX120, XSPC D5 dual bayres, Raystorm, and 7970 koolance block thumb.gif

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Oh yea one thing O forgot to mention is thay i will get all NF-F12s.

Either way if I am looking to go for high overclocks I should be considering push pull? Or just one way is sufficient?

I won't be strapped for space, I'm looking to get the NZXT Switch 810 which from many reviews says is a huge case.

From this ok let's drop the AIO idea and go the kit if I can get some more juice out of it.

So any comments on the EX ir RX series? Am I right to say if I go for EX it would be better to go push pull and RX I'm right to just use one side?
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 03:02 AM
Ultimate Rig Winner

Rep: 315 (Unique: 220)
Have you had a look at the H220, it is basicly a kit that comes pre assembled, it is as expandable as going full custom.

wubsmiley.gif OCN changed my life wubsmiley.gif

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedroc1999 View Post

Have you had a look at the H220, it is basicly a kit that comes pre assembled, it is as expandable as going full custom.

Thanks for bringing it up, if this gets released in either EU or US at the end of feb, I'm guessing AU won't see it any time soon. I would also like to see how other people review it first because as this is a new product, not sure how this performs for the general user.

Are there anyone else having had experience or seen good articles on this cooler? I basically need to decide whether or not to go for one-sided or push pull config for a 3 fan rad, as I only have couple of days to decide whether to get the noctua fans for cheap.

Cheers
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Also by the look of this image http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph6716/52896.png

The result it doesn't outperform the NZXT Kraken x60 and the Corsair 110. Is this due to the larger radiator? I'm pretty sure the XSPC kit can outperform the x60 (one of the other options I was looking at also). I am not directly concerned about the cost of the setup, I'm more concerned about the quality and the performance of the cooling system.

So if you agree that the H220 will not outperform the XSPC, I will get the XSPC. If they are marginal, then I'm scratching my head again.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-10-2013, 03:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
Some of the equation (how much of it depends on you) is the simplicity of the 'all in one' vs. a real water loop. That H220 looks like it wants to be both, without really being either if you know what I mean. A real custom loop is just that, it will take more 'care and feeding' than a pre-made loop, but you will have more options. Anything you need to do, you can make it do, provided you have the funds.

I started with an H100 and was very disappointed with it. Part of the issue was my 3770k ran hot (no surprise) and part was that it did not vary the speed of the fans no mater what setting I put it on. On boot, it cranked up the fans higher then backed them down, and I was not able to get them running 100% after post when connected to the block. Also, for a closed loop, there was some air in there, you could hear it. I wanted to OC, but the temps were way too high. Maybe if I delidded my proc sooner, before moving on to a real water cooling loop, I could have lived with it. But I don't think I would have been satisfied with it.

I bought that XSPC Raystorm kit with the full copper block, D5 pump/res, RX360 v2 and chose 1/2ID tubing. Picked up about 11c over the H100 (then I delidded and got about 20c more). It is more than what I needed for just the CPU, but now I am researching and will be watering my two 580s very soon (as soon as I make up my mind on what additional rad) and my existing rad will help cool my GPUs too.

I'm actually finding planning and setting up my cooling to be fun (but expensive). If you are more into the end result and not the path to get there, an all in one or maybe that H220 would be a better choice. But if you like to tinker and want the most performance, a real water loop may be the way to go. It's a hobby in and of itself, in a way.

I just love my Raystorm kit BTW. It's real water cooling, just bundled together to make it easy to get started.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in