7870 Tahiti LE Waterblock - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

7870 Tahiti LE Waterblock

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 9 (Unique: 7)
I've been researching this pretty heavily over the past day or so, and I think I might have made some headway on it. I just want some input on it before I take the plunge and drop 350$. Would it fit.

Tahiti LE chip http://i.imgur.com/qBNkT.jpg

7870 GHZ chip http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/upload/pictures/AMD-Radeon-HD7870-PCB.jpg

The waterblock - http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/step1_complist?gpu_gpus=631
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 07:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 16 (Unique: 16)
Well I'm not gonna say a firm "no" here but full cover block not only covers core + VDRAM. It also covers VRM part. It seems to me that Tahiti LE has different layout of VRM part than reference 7870.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 174 (Unique: 160)
I doubt the block that fits a 7870 will fit the LE (Tahti) card. Just in the two pics everything is different. You can always email them and ask, but I think you should either wait for the correct block or use a universal GPU only block.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by utnorris View Post

I doubt the block that fits a 7870 will fit the LE (Tahti) card. Just in the two pics everything is different. You can always email them and ask, but I think you should either wait for the correct block or use a universal GPU only block.

The universal block is horribly ugly, and passive RAM cooling just... no.

How new is the tahiti LE chip? I mean, one of the big water block manufacturers are saying there are no plans for a full cover block for it, that's just no acceptable frown.gif

Custom waterblocks? Where!?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 10:45 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 174 (Unique: 160)
Not every card gets a block made for it, especially the mid range cards. Look at all the non-reference cards out there and 1 or 2 get blocks made for them. There are plenty of different GPU only blocks that look great, the EK and Heatkiller are both great looking blocks. If you want a custom block, I am sure you can find someone to make one, but it won't be cheap. Why not get a HD7950 if a full cover block is that important to you? I don't think they are that much more if catch them on sale. Just a thought.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 10:54 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 43 (Unique: 39)
Look and see the difference between the 7870 le and the 7950. They have they same chip so maybe the card is laid out about the same.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 07:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Just some advice for anyone looking to water cool this card. I've recently purchased on and can confirm that the GPU chip and mounting holes are the same as regular 7870's and the rest of the 6xxx and 7xxx range bar the 7900 series. And yet the PCB layout is different to the regular 7870 so there's definitely no full cover solution that will work as of this date. I've got a universal block on mine and that fits easily and cools it quite effectively (over 40% reduction in load temps).
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 02:34 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 6)
i have a maze 5 on mine copper sinks on the ram ... moded the vrm abit have a fan on both sides of it overkill abit but i like low temps

fyi atm temps and volts are not helping the card atleast on the saphire xt one

i canot spell punctuate or anything english related beond 3rd grade ... try to decipher im sorry if its hard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in