Will an overheated North Bridge downclock the processor? (watercooled) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Will an overheated North Bridge downclock the processor? (watercooled)

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Hello!

I just recently upgraded from a Coolermaster Hyper 520N to a Corsair H80i and the difference in temps is great. However, after a few minutes under load my CPU downclocks from 4250mhz to 1750mhz. It used to be 100% stable, and I haven't changed any settings. My CPU temps are great, never going above 38C (according to coretemp, AMD Overdrive, and CorsairLink) or 55C (according to AI Suite and HW Monitor). Idk which program to believe, but regardless, those are hardly temps that would cause downclocking. After running Prime95 for a bit, when it starts downclocking, I've noticed that the blue heatsink on the Northbridge chipset is scolding hot to the touch. Is it possible for that to be the problem? If so, would this be enough to fix it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708006

Also, in case you were wondering, my mobo is an ASUS M5A88-M, which doesn't come with any MOFSET heatsinks stock, so I installed these,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708011

It downclocks now even on stock settings, so I know the OC isn't the problem. Anyways, any help or advice would be much appreciated! smile.gif

biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Bump

biggrin.gif
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 05:24 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
Hi, I had a similar problem like this when i upgraded to a h100 but, the overclock just turned unstable, IDK why but i just re did my overclock and it fixed the blue screening and crashing problems, Honestly I have no clue if North bridge can downclock the processor but I really doubt it smile.gif

Have a nice day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 06:32 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 6 (Unique: 5)
simple answer: nope

long answer: overheating northbridge contains the mosfets, these play a significant part in keeping your system stable
if its overheating even though it's waterblocked then you've done something wrong

most of the time the northbridge can be sufficiently cooled by applying epoxy and gluing a passive copper block onto it, northbridge/southbridge blocks are pretty gimmicky...
if ur northbridge overheats then ur system crashes more often, some mobos have a downclocking option as a safeguard after crashing say three times in a row due to an unstable overclock, i believe the asus mobo's have this function

hence your thoughts about downclocking due to a mosfet problem smile.gif downclocking can also be intel speedstep doin its job, is ss enabled in ur system? ss just downclocks ur system to relieve heat made by ur cpu, nothing to worry about

hope this helps

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
Linux Lobbyist

Thanks guys for the answers! I think I fixed it though! biggrin.gif

Tinkering around earlier I removed my North Bridge heat sink and removed all that crap dried out thermal paste, then coated it with some zalman I had laying around. Put it back together, stress tested it again. It lasted a good 10 minutes longer than usual before it started downclocking, but still didn't fix the problem. So then I grabbed a 120mm fan and attached it to the side of my case (which I should have done a long time ago) blowing on the mofsets/north bridge/cpu and now I'm 52 min into Prime95 without a single clock drop, whereas it would usually start throttling 3-5 minutes into it.

Hell yeah smile.gif Maybe now I can finally push it to a stable 4.5 or 4.8

Thanks again for the help! thumb.gif

biggrin.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in