Beginner's Guide For Water-Cooling 2013! - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Beginner's Guide For Water-Cooling 2013!

post #1 of 322 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 206 (Unique: 164)
INTRODUCTION
VOTE FOR REPUBLICOFGAMER . I have been OCN for awhile and have been I would say a big help to the site . so can everyone show me some love? (= and drop a nomination here for me VOTE FOR REPUBLICOFGAMER! https://www.overclock.net/t/1444861/nominations-the-most-helpful-people-on-oc-net/0_20
Hey Overclock.net !!!!!!
Today I thought I would sit down for a few hours and make a new beginners water-cooling guide because I have been seeing allot of people on the forums making the switch and asking for help because all of the beginners guides for water-cooling on the internet are outdated are just not correct ! so REPUBLICOFGAMER is here to solve this issue!!!!!!!
So A little bit about me I am 18 (19 in sep) and have been building computers since the age of 10 !, I was the kid who always would take things apart just to see how they worked or to just see what I can do with it !, It was not always put together again but hey kids will be kids biggrin.gif so ever since that I have been in love with technology and cars and anything that has a moving part in it! I have been water-cooling computers for 3 1/2 years now and Truly am in love with the looks and performance AND NOW I CAN NOT STOP! HELP! thumb.gif okay so now that you know a little about me lets start this guide!!!! PS IF YOU ARE HERE TO TROLL ON HOW THIS GUIDE IS WRITTEN , ARE MY VOCABULARY SUCKS PLEASE KEEP IT OUT OF THE COMMENTS !

QUESTIONS OFTEN ASKED!

Why water-cool?- PERFORMANCE,BETTER LOOKS AND QUIETER RUNNING SYSTEMS is a common reason why allot of people go water-cooling , If you are not overclocking your computer then there is really no need for water-cooling I would suggest getting a nice Air cooler (Such as hyper 212 and 212+ they are cheap and work flawlessly! ) , but If you are going to give it a very mild over-clock I recommend just getting a AIO cooler To be safe! ( AIO STAND'S FOR ALL IN ONE LIQUID COOLER!)

I will give you a example of my computer!
I had the stock CPU cooler on my 8350 just to see if the little cooler could keep up at stock clock's (4Ghz) and I played Battlefield 3 for only about 10 Mins before the cooler sounded like a jet and my temps hit 70c!!!!!!! bare in mind that no settings were changed!!!! so the heatsinks we get with the new CPU's these days are Far From good!!!! So I Got a water-cooling loop planned out and built and overclocked my 8350 to 5.0Ghz stable at 1.55V and temps never go above 50C !!!! , Now tell me can your air cooler do that !!

How much does it cost?- This depends on the components you are trying to cool, and which parts you choose to water cool them with, Keeping in mind that when you are water-cooling you never want to go dirt cheap! are it will come back to bite you in the butt!!!!!!! so I will put a range from 300-700 USD for a nice simple GOOD QUALITY loop! but also keep in mind that is a estimate and can Be done between those two numbers! BUT its very easy to go over those numbers!

Is it worth the risk over air cooling?- If you are looking to get the most performance out of your computer with overclocking then yes but if you just wan't good temps and a cool look at factory settings then no !

What benefit does water cooling offer over air cooling?- More overclocking headroom, a quieter solution (if you picked the right components), a more suitable solution for a high-ambient-room-temperature situation, to save space (in the CPU area) so you don't have to worry about tall memory heatspreaders or northbridge heatsinks, less stress on the motherboard due to the CPU block weight being lighter than most air cooling heatsinks. and also it looks really cool thumb.gifwink.gif but with all seriousness if you live in a really hot place are have a really hot room this will help your computer so much!

What are some good stores to get my water-cooling gear from?-

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/
http://www.jab-tech.com/
http://www.petrastechshop.com/radiators.html
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php
http://www.frozencpu.com/
http://www.koolertek.com/

What are some good water-cooling brands?-
EK
Koolance
Swiftech
Bitspower
Heat killer
Alpahcool
Phobya
Black Ice
XSPC

What is a CPU block?- this is what cools the CPU, which is one of the hottest components when overclocked. Beware when choosing your CPU block and make sure you buy the right model; some CPU blocks also come with a back-plate. Back-plates just add pressure to give slight performance gain, also make sure that the block is compatible with your chip this can be done by matching socket types such as AM3 , LGA 1155 , 1366 etc there are many different ones so MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RIGHT ONE!
EXAMPLES

What is a water-cooling pump?- this component will move the fluid through the loop; a stronger pump will able to push the water around more quickly. If your loop has very restrictive components, a stronger pump will improve the overall temperature.also The pump I always recommenced is a MCP655 because it is a strong pump and is built like bull!
Note: never let the pump run dry (meaning without water), it will fry the pump in a matter of seconds.
EXAMPLES

What is a radiator?- this component is where the heat dissipates, the larger the radiator is in size, the more surface area will be available to dissipate heat. I recommend having at-least a 360mm radiator (3 120mm fan's) for a standered CPU+GPU LOOP! , there are many different sizes such as 240 , 120, 360, 1080,280 etc make sure that you look in your case and make sure you have the space for the rad you want!

EXAMPLE

What size tubing do I need?- A very popular size is 1/2 by 3/4 are 1/2 by 3/8 now when deciding on tubing there are many different brands to choose from! a brand I always use is primochill tubing! , now keep in mind The larger the diameter of your tubing, the higher the flow rate will be and the less likely that the tubing can become kinked (bent/knotted, impairing the water flow)

What is a res?- The res is the part that holds the fluid , It comes in 2 forms . There is a bay res or a tube res . The bay res is always going to be mounted in the 5.25 bays and will almost every time take up 2 bays . Or there is a tube res where you can mount where ever your hart desires as long as the pump is below it . Both are at a good price point and both look great! So I would recommend either one !
EXAMPLE
Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

What kind of fittings should I use?- Okay this is where allot of people get confused , since there is so many sizes it messes with peoples head's when really you just match the tubing size to the fitting
EXAMPLE - for 1/2 by 3/4 tubing I need a compression fitting of ID = 1/2 OD= 3/4 are if I was to use a barb fitting I would use 1/2 barb's!

Compression fittings are barbs?- this is up to you barb fittings are allot cheaper but they are not really eye appealing and you have to buy clamps to keep the tube from coming off , SO I like to use compression fittings because they are more safe and look allot better but all and all this is totally up to you!
EXAMPLE

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 100

What kind of coolant should I use?-
once again this is up to you I like to use the EK coolant because it has all the additives already to stop corrosion and bacteria , but allot of people like to use distilled water and dye and add the stuff them selves keeping in mind the distilled water is allot cheaper! NOTE NEVER USE TAP WATER!
EXAMPLE

What is a good order to arrange my loop in?- Res-pump-cpu block -rad-res is a common configuration! MAKE SURE THAT THE RES IS ALWAYS ABOVE THE PUMP AND THAT THE REST ALWAYS GOES INTO THE PUMP AT ALL TIMES!

What are good fan's to use for radiators?- Gentile typoon's are the new corsair SP series fans ( SP stands for static pressure )
EXAMPLE

How long should I leak test for?- I leak test for about 5 hours if it does not leak withen those 5 hours I would give you the green light to go ahead and enjoy the loop!

How do I leak test?-
this is done by jumping your power-supply with a paper clip GREEN+BLACK wire will short the power supply into turning on ( make sure THAT NOTING IS PLUGGED INTO IT BUT THE PUMP!!!!!) and then its as simple as flipping the switch back and fourth !
LIKE THIS

Leak testing tips?- When leak testing I like to put pwer towels over all of the main things like the power supply and on the graphics card and anywhere there is a fitting connecting a hose to a block , this way if there is a leak it will be allot easier to notice it and fix it! even if it is the smallest leak you will see it! , and like I said before do this for about 5 hours if you keep checking up on it and there are no leaks you are as good as gold!

Maintenance?- In addition to blowing dust out every 3 to 6 months like air-cooling, one needs to drain and replace the water every 6 to 12 months even if all looks fine. This allows one to flush the system with distilled water to clean out that bit of radiator sludge that was impossible to remove initially or to catch plasticizer leaching from the tubing like Tygon 3603 or Masterkleer brand or Primochill Primoflex LRT. One may also need to add biocide unless using silver, in which case it gets more concentrated over time, which is good. This is also the time to fix any kinked tubing or perform upgrades you have been wanting to try.if you see the water level getting low just make sure you top it off!

Helpful Tips!
  • if you can NOT get a tube over a barb are compression try putting the tube in hot water to make it flex a little
  • never put the water tanks on radiators facing up ( holds air bubbles)
  • All fittings and tubes should be hand tight! no tools!
  • to get air bubbles out flick the tubes , turn the case on its side,turn the power supply off.... This is only some ways of doing it! There are many more!
  • TAKE YOUR TIME WHILE PUTTING IT TOGETHER!
  • Always plan out the loop before buying parts so you do not get stuck with stuff you can NOT use! and do your research!

Some Kits That I would Recommend For Some Ones First Loop!
( 360 MM Water Cooling Kit Recommendations)

(PLEASE NOTE THAT THEY DO NOT INCLUDE GPU BLOCKS!)

160.00$ USD
XSPC Raystorm Extreme Universal CPU Watercooling Kit w/ RS360 Radiator

RayStorm CPU Waterblock
X2O 750 Pump/Reservoir
RS360 Triple Radiator
G1/4 to 1/2" Barb (Black Chrome) x6
Plastic Hose Clip x6
XSPC 1650rpm 120mm Fan x3
120mm Fan Grill (Black) x3
Intel and AMD RayStorm Brackets
Socket 1366 and 1155/1154 Backplates
Socket AM2 and AM3 mounting kit
80mm to 120mm Radiator brackets
3mm Twin Blue LED with 4Pin Molex
5mm Blue LED with 4Pin Molex
2 Meters of Clear 7/16; Hose
24pin ATX Bridge Tool
K2 Thermal Paste
ALL OF THIS FOR 160.00$ USD ( NEED TO BUY FLUID!)

240.00$ USD
Alphacool NexXxoS Cool Answer 360 DDC/XT - Kit

1x Alphacool NexXxoS XP³ Light - Acetal Edition - Intel/AMD
1x Alphacool Repack - Laing DDC - 5.25 Bay Station
1x Laing DDC-Pumpe 12V DDC-1T
1x Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 360mm
3x Alphacool Hose AlphaTube HF 13/10 (3/8"ID) - Clear
6x 13/10 (10x1.5mm) Screws G1/4 - Matte Black
3x 120mm Fan ca. 1300rpm ( 120x120x25mm )
1x Coolant Clear 1000ml
1x ATX-jumper (24 Pin)
ALL OF THIS FOR 240.00$!

260.00$ USD
XSPC Raystorm Extreme Universal CPU Watercooling Kit w/ EX360

Raystorm CPU Waterblock
Socket 2011, 1366 and 1156(1155, 775 Backplates)
Socket AM2 and AM3 Block Optional
XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir - w/ D5 Vario Pump
EX360 Radiator
Low Noise 120mm Fan x 3
120mm Fan Grill x 3
2M (6.5')' Clear Tubing
Compression fittings x 6
Thermal Paste
ALL OF THIS FOR 260.00$ USD ! (NOTE YOU NEED TO BUY FLUID!)

260.00$ USD
EK-KIT L360 Water Cooling Kit

EK-KIT L360 water cooling kit includes following items:
universal CPU water block: EK-Supreme LTX UNI CSQ 2013 (incl. mounting- & thermal material)
radiator: EK-CoolStream RAD XT (360)
radiator fan: EK-FAN Silent 120-1600 RPM (3pcs)
water pump / reservoir combo unit: EK-DCP 2.2 X-RES incl. Pump
tubing: EK-TUBE ZMT Matte Black 16/10mm (2 meters)
compression fittings: EK-CSQ Fitting 16/10mm - G1/4 Nickel (6 pcs)
coolant concentrate: EK-Ekoolant UV Blue (100mL; for 1L of coolant)
ALL OF THIS FOR 260.00$ USD

420.00$ USD
XSPC RayStorm Extreme Universal CPU Watercooling Kit w/ AX360

RayStorm Copper CPU Waterblock (Intel only)
Twin D5 Dual Bay Reservoir
D5 Vario Pump x 2
AX360 Triple Radiator
G1/4″ to 7/16″ Compression Fittings (Black Chrome) x6
XSPC 1650rpm 120mm Fan x3
120mm Fan Grill (Black) x3
Intel RayStorm Brackets
Socket 775, 1366 and 1155/1154 Backplates
80mm to 120mm Radiator bracket
2 Meters of Clear 7/16″ Hose
24pin ATX Bridge Tool
K2 Thermal Paste
ALL OF THIS FOR 420.00$ USD ! (NOTE YOU NEED TO BUY FLUID!) (INTEL ONLY!)

240MM Water Cooling Kit Recommendations

240.00$ USD
EK-KIT L240 Water Cooling Kit

universal CPU water block: EK-Supreme LTX UNI CSQ 2013 (incl. mounting- & thermal material)
radiator: EK-CoolStream RAD XT (240)
radiator fan: EK-FAN Silent 120-1600 RPM (2pcs)
water pump / reservoir combo unit: EK-DCP 2.2 X-RES incl. Pump
tubing: EK-TUBE ZMT Matte Black 16/10mm (2 meters)
compression fittings: EK-CSQ Fitting 16/10mm - G1/4 Nickel (6 pcs)
coolant concentrate: EK-Ekoolant UV Blue (100mL; for 1L of coolant)
ALL OF THIS FOR 240.00$ USD

290.00$ USD
EK-KIT H3O - Supreme HFX 240 Water Cooling Kit
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), default quality
EK-Supremacy
EK-Backplate CPU Universal
EK-CoolStream RAD XTX 240
EK-FAN Silent 120-1600 RPM (2 pcs)
EK-DCP 4.0 Pump
EK-Multioption RES X3 150
EK-DCP PUMP mounting plate KIT
TUBE Masterkleer 12,7/9,5 CLEAR (2 meters)
EK-PSC Fitting 10mm - G1/4 Nickel (8 pcs)
EK-Ekoolant UV Blue (concentrate 100ml)
TIM Gelid GC-Xtreme (EKWB 2g)
ALL OF THIS FOR 290.00$

221.00$ USD
Alphacool NexXxoS Cool Answer 240 DDC/XT - Kit

Alphacool NexXxoS XP³ Light - Acetal Edition - Intel/AMD
Alphacool Repack - Laing DDC - 5.25 Bay Station
Laing DDC-Pumpe 12V DDC-1T
Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 240mm
Alphacool Hose AlphaTube HF 13/10 (3/8"ID) - Clear
6x 13/10 (10x1.5mm) Screws G1/4 - Matte Black
2x 120mm Fan ca. 1300rpm ( 120x120x25mm )
Coolant Clear 1000ml
ATX-jumper (24 Pin)
ALL OF THIS FOR 221.00$ USD

IS BEING WORKED ON 8/14/13!

Okay now that you have your mind made up on all your parts you need to sit back and take a look at your case , For demonstration purposes I will be using the 900D. I Am building a water cooled 900D so I need to plan out my water loop any ways biggrin.gif ,

PLANNING OUT THE LOOP!

STEP 1. Look Up the case that you have/ are that you are buying . ( A side view is preferred) biggrin.gif
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 95

STEP 2. Open up the program paint on your computer and drag the image of the case to the program , so it will look like this !

STEP 3. I like to black out anything that will not be used in the case, for example I am not using any hard drive bays , (SKIP THIS STEP IF YOU ARE NOT MODDING THE CASE ARE REMOVING ANYTHING!)

STEP 4. After you have done that make a mock of your computer Or the computer that you are building ,
add the mobo , cpu, graphics cards and power supply etc . Should look like this! ( PLEASE NOTE NONE OF THIS HAS TO BE PERFECT ! ,IT'S USED TO GET A GENERAL IDEA OF WHERE EVERYTHING IS GOING!)

STEP 5. Put paint aside for a few minutes and make a parts list , ( A parts list is just a long page of every single component going into the computer such as hardware , water blocks , and radiators etc . When you are done should look like this

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT ALL MY PARTS , THIS IS JUST TO SHOW YOU A EXAMPLE!

STEP 6. go back to paint and finish up your ruff sketch , mark where everything should go , mark tubing locations etc the hole 9 yards!!!, should look like this when finished ( NOTE THIS IS A DIFFERENT BUILD THAT I DID CAUSE ITS MORE SIMPLE TO UNDERSTAND!

Okay now that you have a basic understanding where everything is going , Go ahead and order all the parts and wait for them all to come in! , take pictures, brag, be happy! , jump up and down , DO THE HAPPY DANCE! ,

PARTS HAVE ARRIVED! , TIME TO ASSEMBLE THE LOOP!

PREPPING YOUR GRAPHICS CARD AND ADDING THE BLOCK

In this little section I will be showing you how to take the heat-sink off and add the water block to
the card ( NOTE : THE CARD USED IS A 7950 REF)

Tools that you will need ,
1 small Phillips
2 medium Phillips
3 cute tips

Okay so the first step is to get all the screws off the back of the card , Here I have marked on mine what screws I need to take off to get the heat sink off . ( 7950) ( if you do not know which screws refer to the waterblock instructions) There is 10 screws total for the 7950.

After you get all the screws out just lift on the PCB and it should just come right off , If not apply some pressure , MAKE SURE YOU PUT THE SCREWS IN A SAFE PLACE!

Now Unplug the fan connector ,

And BAM! there is your card all ready for its water block thumb.gif

The next step is to take all the old thermal paste off of the GPU ,

Get the Cute tips! , you can rub off the old thermal paste with the cute tip or you can wet ( DO NOT SOAK IT!) the cute tip with 99% rubbing alcohol , and just rub it all off applying NO Pressure

All nice and clean!

So the block I will be using is a heat sink by swiftech , Its meant to be used with the swiftech MCW82 Universal GPU Water block, Which is what I will be using on this card

Make sure that you read the instructions that come with your water block , So you know where to put the thermal pads and such .

ONLY USE THE HARDWARE THAT THE WATER BLOCK COMES WITH , UNLESS DIRECTIONS TELL YOU NOT TOO!

oh shes pretty (=

So Mine came with the thermal pads already in place , MAKE SURE TO TAKE OFF THE CLEAR PROTECTION ON THE PADS IF YOURS CAME PRE APPLIED , THEY CAN BE BLUE OR CLEAR

IF YOU ARE USING A FULL COVER WATER BLOCK TAKE THIS PART TO APPLY THE THERMAL PADS IN THE CORRECT PLACES ( LOOK AT THE INSTRUCTIONS) AND PUT A LINE OF THERMAL PASTE ON THE GPU! LIKE THIS !
( NOTE THIS IS NOT A GPU BUT YOU SHOULD GET THE IDEA OF WHAT I MEAN OF A LINE ACROSS THE GPU BY THE PICTURE

Okay , Now what you have to do is drop the block on the card and line up the holes and screw the screws in! ( TRY NOT TO MOVE IT AROUND ALLOT OR YOU WILL HAVE TO RE APPLY THE PASTE ! )

AND BOOM! , A JOB WELL DONE !

OKAY , SO THAT IS ALL I CAN DO AS OF NOW AS I AM STILL ORDERING PARTS AND SUCH SO THERE WILL BE MORE UPDATES SOON! , PLEASE KEEP IN MIND I AM TRYING TO GIVE EVERYONE AS MUCH DETAIL AS I POSSIBLE CAN! , AND WHEN THIS GUIDE IS ALL DONE IT WILL BE ALL FIXED UP ON GRAMMER!

Note: IF YOU NEED FURTHER HELP CHOOSING PARTS FOR YOUR LOOP ARE NEED LIVE ASSISTANCE PUTTING IT TOGETHER PLEASE ADD MY SKYPE @coolmasterhaf .

Videos and How To's For Water Cooling
This will be a update very soon ! , After I buy all my parts for my new build I will be making videos of how to put the computer together and how to water cool it ! so this will have maybe 20 videos here soon!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 322 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 10:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 25 (Unique: 23)
post #3 of 322 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntfly02 View Post

Lots of are's that should be or's. Other than that lots of good info.

Thanks I will be sure to fix it as soon as I have added all the info that I think is needed!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 322 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 462 (Unique: 340)
Just a biiiiit too many exclamation marks in it. And maybe consider putting recommendations for each category with links to said recommendations.

I hate fanboys/fangirls. You ruin the friendlyshilling atmosphere of OCN./s

post #5 of 322 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 06:48 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Great introduction! Next step is to add sample configurations that has actual parts selected. Low, Mid and High end setups.
post #6 of 322 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 78 (Unique: 71)

The extremely large text at the bottom hurts my eyes.

post #7 of 322 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

adding the Recommendation kits by price!
360 kits
240 kits
120 kits
and for the custom ones
I will leave some contact info cause that is up to the person!

post #8 of 322 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

post #9 of 322 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 01:37 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by REPUBLICOFGAMER View Post

mad.gif who would have thought that this thread would not be so popular and not have that many views :/

I think the guide is great, and hope you keep adding to it! thumbsupsmiley.png
post #10 of 322 (permalink) Old 07-21-2013, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknlight_8 View Post

I think the guide is great, and hope you keep adding to it! thumbsupsmiley.png

thanks! that was well needed I will add more kits to it tonight for 240 and 120 biggrin.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in