Need advice! Lapping apogee HD or not? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Need advice! Lapping apogee HD or not?

 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,586
Rep: 81 (Unique: 67)
Im about to do my first lapping on my delidded 4670K and was thinking of lapping the water block too..

I read some places that some water blocks is bad to lap, that they have their shape for a reason..

Anyone knows about lapping of this block? Swiftech Apogee HD
any complications related to this block and lapping?
I would also like to know what temps I can achieve with lapping CPU and the block.

Thanks ^^


GaMbi2004 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 08:38 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
xxRemnantxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bonne Terre, MO 63628
Posts: 488
Rep: 37 (Unique: 33)
You can use a caliper or a ruler to see if it has a domed shape in the center of the block/ if yours does it may be beneficial to lapp your block to have even seat pressure across the block. Seat pressure is another thing that will greatly help your temps... If you cannot change out springs then it would help if you can influence the bracket to bend and cause greater seat pressure- can you tag a link to your bracket and mounting hardware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_nuke_em go_quote.gif

I prescribe another dose of benching. It should get rid of that pesty disease known as prime95 biggrin.gif
OCN #1 1090T SUB 6.772GHZ! Ivy at 6.2ghz! How to remove Nvidia drivers correctly- How to remove Ati/Amd drivers correctly- How to overclock AMD- How to overclock Sandy or Ivy-
xxRemnantxx is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 08:40 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
xxRemnantxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bonne Terre, MO 63628
Posts: 488
Rep: 37 (Unique: 33)
Better seat pressure can drop it 3-5c under full load with same paste assuming you have decent seat pressure to start.. If its already flat then its not worth doing - except to get mirrored finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_nuke_em go_quote.gif

I prescribe another dose of benching. It should get rid of that pesty disease known as prime95 biggrin.gif
OCN #1 1090T SUB 6.772GHZ! Ivy at 6.2ghz! How to remove Nvidia drivers correctly- How to remove Ati/Amd drivers correctly- How to overclock AMD- How to overclock Sandy or Ivy-
xxRemnantxx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 08:41 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
salamachaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,244
Rep: 79 (Unique: 63)
My eyes skipped apogee and just saw lapping HD(D). I was confused and terrified at why someone would do such a thing to a hard drive.
salamachaa is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,586
Rep: 81 (Unique: 67)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remnant88888888 View Post

You can use a caliper or a ruler to see if it has a domed shape in the center of the block/ if yours does it may be beneficial to lapp your block to have even seat pressure across the block. Seat pressure is another thing that will greatly help your temps... If you cannot change out springs then it would help if you can influence the bracket to bend and cause greater seat pressure- can you tag a link to your bracket and mounting hardware?
Something like this? the screws goes all the way down and springs takes care of the rest.. im guessing stiffer springs would give more pressure..
I get 70C peaks with 20 runs of IBT/ 1hour OCCT with AVX, 4.5ghz @ 1.27V (not the best of chips)
water temps 26-27C thanks to my 1080 rad wink.gif

So.. when I get my lapping kit, I should check the bow of the block, lap the CPU IHS and leave the block unless it is bowed a lot?
after that I can try adding spacers to the backplate to increase the pressure (dont like the idea of bending the bracket)

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamachaa View Post

My eyes skipped apogee and just saw lapping HD(D). I was confused and terrified at why someone would do such a thing to a hard drive.

Hehe wink.gif


GaMbi2004 is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 09:18 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
MrNishi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 110
Rep: 11 (Unique: 10)
If you doing the processor I would do the water block, or check it with a straight edge. Heat sink manufactures will concave or convex their bases in instances to match a CPU IHS, if you lap it flat, which some are far from I would do the heat sink to match. as far as contact pressure you should only need to remove a few thousandths which shouldn't change pressure at all. you can check with a straight edge or just lap the heat sink a few times and see how it wears.

MrNishi is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Denmark
Posts: 1,586
Rep: 81 (Unique: 67)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNishi View Post

If you doing the processor I would do the water block, or check it with a straight edge. Heat sink manufactures will concave or convex their bases in instances to match a CPU IHS, if you lap it flat, which some are far from I would do the heat sink to match. as far as contact pressure you should only need to remove a few thousandths which shouldn't change pressure at all. you can check with a straight edge or just lap the heat sink a few times and see how it wears.

yes.. I think the pressure suggestion was another way to bring down temps, and not something I have to do because of lapping smile.gif


GaMbi2004 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off