OCN Aquaero Owners Club - Page 642 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

OCN Aquaero Owners Club

post #6411 of 13544 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 04:06 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 224 (Unique: 145)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeph View Post

Hi, I just changed my water the other night. I used AC filter on my loop. After 6 months I noticed my AC filter blocking the water to circulate.
I have disassembled the filter, cleaned and checked everything. All looks fine. Attached my filter on my loop again water still wouldn't passed the filter.
It sucked up the water and stopped on the filter mesh, there is no water out from filter outlet. But if I run my loop without the filter it runs just fine.

Any fix for my filter?

deeph

I dont think you need it and it is adding restrictions that you dont need

No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Build Log Ukrainian Banderas devil.gifgunner2.gifgunner.gifsniper.gif

Just playing with cooling and Computers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6412 of 13544 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 04:59 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 552 (Unique: 388)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IT Diva View Post

It's really not that hard . . . about a difficulty level 1.5

All the parts can be bought at Radio Shack for a few bucks and the extra fan connector pins from PPCs.

If you don't have a soldering iron, do you have a technical school or TV repair shop nearby, you might be able to easily find someone there who'd be able to help out.

If not,

Even an el-cheapo soldering iron and "helping hand" at Radio Shack isn't very much $, and learning a new skill is always rewarding in itself.

If you have the skills to assemble a PC, it's a good bet you can learn to solder, at least a little bit.

https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-helping-hands-with-magnifier?variant=5717834693

https://www.radioshack.com/products/5-piece-basic-soldering-set?variant=5717865349

Darlene

100% right. Soldering should be a core subject of geek 101. If you wanna be an enthusiast it's definitely something you should learn and this is a great excuse.
Just like every man should know how to weld, basic electrical / automotive skills and building / how to mix a decent batch of cement.

post #6413 of 13544 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 07:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
What or where abouts is this diva mod?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6414 of 13544 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:37 AM
Robocop is #1 movie ever

Rep: 70 (Unique: 49)
In thinking about the diva mod, the swiftech pump I have has two molex size adapters for the 12v and two four pin fan headers for the rpm and PWM signal. For the diva mod to work I would need to switch everything to the fan header to the aquaero right?

Then solder in the zener diode and add a resistor or something along those lines?

Ol' Dirty Bastard
(29 items)
CPU
6950X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage V edition 10
GPU
Titan X Pascal
GPU
Titan X Pascal
RAM
G.Skill Ripjawz 4 128GB 3200MHz C14 RGB
Hard Drive
Intel 730 series 480GB
Hard Drive
Intel 730 series 480GB
Hard Drive
Intel 6000P 1TB m.2
Hard Drive
WD Black 6TB
Optical Drive
Asus external BD DVD
Power Supply
eVGA 1600W P2
Cooling
EK RVE Edition 10 monoblock
Cooling
EK Titan X Pascal waterblocks with EK back plates
Cooling
Aquacomputer 420mm rad/res/pump combo
Cooling
Aquaero 6 Pro
Cooling
Aquacomputer 420mm rad
Cooling
Aquacomputer 420mm rad
Cooling
Aquacomputer 420mm rad
Cooling
Aquacomputer serial dual D5 pumps with bitspower top and mounts
Case
Caselabs s8
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus pb287q
Monitor
Asus pb287q
Monitor
Asus pb287q
Keyboard
Microsoft Sculpt Wireless Ergonomic
Mouse
Logitech wireless trackball
Audio
Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100+
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Other
Logitech F710 wireless game pad
▲ hide details ▲
post #6415 of 13544 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 11:57 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 19 (Unique: 19)
Diva,

Since some of us aren't totally familiar with how to assemble the Diva Mod, could you please list the additional components necessary and just explain what goes where? I think something like a recipe would be helpful, may even be something worth a sticky. I know I've seen this question asked at least 5-6 times over the last few months, and even for myself, as often as I've seen it explained, I haven't really seen a breakdown of materials and what to do with them. Most people already knew about the Diva Mod, but just needed a little assistance along the way. I know I would like to see this written out. This way, anyone who wants to attempt it knows what to do, and if someone wants it done but doesn't feel comfortable soldering, they could at least pickup the parts and bring everything, including your instructions, to someone locally who can solder.

Just a thought, but I think it would be helpful, plus, it'll prevent you from having to repeat yourself.

post #6416 of 13544 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
Old, Senile, and Happy

Rep: 681 (Unique: 350)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagamus NM View Post

In thinking about the diva mod, the swiftech pump I have has two molex size adapters for the 12v and two four pin fan headers for the rpm and PWM signal. For the diva mod to work I would need to switch everything to the fan header to the aquaero right?

Then solder in the zener diode and add a resistor or something along those lines?

The 12V power for the pump(s) always comes from the Molex(s) to the PSU.
If you're running a dual PWM D5 setup, then both Molexes go to the PSU.

If you have dual pumps that are for the same loop, and you want them to control together, be at the same speed, then you want the same PWM signal to go to both pumps, so you can run the 2 of them from a single A6 fan channel.

If it's 2 pumps and 2 loops, then likely you may want to control them individually, so you need to use 2 of the A6 fan channels.

From your description, I assume you have a dual pump setup and want them to run at the same speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolldog View Post

Diva,

Since some of us aren't totally familiar with how to assemble the Diva Mod, could you please list the additional components necessary and just explain what goes where? I think something like a recipe would be helpful, may even be something worth a sticky. I know I've seen this question asked at least 5-6 times over the last few months, and even for myself, as often as I've seen it explained, I haven't really seen a breakdown of materials and what to do with them. Most people already knew about the Diva Mod, but just needed a little assistance along the way. I know I would like to see this written out. This way, anyone who wants to attempt it knows what to do, and if someone wants it done but doesn't feel comfortable soldering, they could at least pickup the parts and bring everything, including your instructions, to someone locally who can solder.

Just a thought, but I think it would be helpful, plus, it'll prevent you from having to repeat yourself.

Good idea, as it's been a while since I've done that and there are a lot of new faces here since.

I'll make a separate post for it.

Darlene
post #6417 of 13544 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
Old, Senile, and Happy

Rep: 681 (Unique: 350)
Here's a bit of a breakdown on the Diva Mod:

Before I detail the mod, let me explain what it does and why, and a little about PWM.

All the PWM D5 pumps, with the exception of the one from AquaComputer, come exactly the way Lang made them with no reseller / distributor mod.

They are designed to run at 60% when there is no PWM signal.

This is a variation from the Intel standard for PC PWM, whereby every PWM fan you'll find will run at max when no PWM signal is provided.

Based on the Intel standard, each PWM device is supposed to have its PWM line pulled up to 5V thru a resistor internally.

When the PWM line is at 5V, the device runs at max speed because its internal control circuitry applies 12V to the motor..

When you add a controller of some type that connects the PWM line to ground for short intervals at a time, then the internal control circuitry doesn't provide any power to the motor during those intervals.

To put in the real numbers, PC PWM is standardized at 25KHz.

The interval for each possible pulse is 40 microseconds.

The "on time" percentage, or the percentage of the time the motor gets 12V, is called Duty Cycle".

If we have a setup and we have the PWM line at 5V for 8 microseconds, followed by 32 microseconds of 0V, then that would be a 20% duty cycle.

If the PWM line's 5V time was 30 microseconds, followed by 10 microseconds of 0V, that would be 75% duty cycle.

The issue with all the PWM D5s except the one from AC, is that since it's designed to run at 60% with no PWM signal, that precludes having the expected internal resistor circuit that pulls the PWM line up to 5V.

The A6 controller adheres to the Intel standard, and expects a 5V level on the PWM line. . . . Without it, there's no control.

The purpose of the Diva Mod, is to provide that 5V pullup on the PWM line so that the PWM D5 can react electrically the same as standard PWM fans, and you can have full range control via the A6.

There are 3 components in the Diva Mod,

2 resistors and a 5.1V Zener diode.

Zener diodes have a unique electrical characteristic that allows them to act as a voltage regulator with only an additional resistor in series.

The 5.1V Zener diode in series with a 560 ohm to 1K ohm resistor between pins 1 and 2 on a 4 pin fan connector creates a 5V source where they connect together, from the 12V present between pins 1 and 2.

The second resistor, a 2.2K ohm for a dual pump to a 4.7K ohm for a single pump, connects from the 5V source to the PWM line, pulling it up to 5V

With the PWM line pulled up to 5V thru the resistor, the A6 will control it from 0% to 100%.

The D5 typically runs at min speed of about 800rpm below about 15% duty cycle, and maxes out at about 4800rpm at about 70% duty cycle.

It's a significantly different range of speed versus pulse width from what you see with PWM fans.

When you look at pics of the diva Mod, you can see the Zener diode with its anode end connected to pin 1, which is the Gnd pin.

You also see the physically larger resistor, (the 560 ohm to 1K ohm 1/2W one) connected to pin 2, which is the +12V pin and the cathode (banded) end of the Zener diode.

Zener diodes install backwards from what you may already know about diode polarity.

At that junction, you'd measure 5.1V to gnd if you put a multi-meter on it.

The physically smaller, but higher value resistor connects the 5.1V junction to the PWM pin, which is pin 4.

Without getting too technical, if you want to run 2 pumps together, you can do it with a single Diva Mod, just be sure they both have their PWM wires connected together so they both share the 5V pullup.

With a dual pump, a 2.2K ohm resistor is the sweet spot, while if it's a single pump, 3.3K or 4.7K ohms is good.

For a dual pump setup, one of the easiest ways to implement the mod is to do it to a Swiftech PWM splitter cable that has had all the power wires removed, since you don't need them.

That gives you a convenient way to run 2 pumps together on a single channel, with one of them reporting it's rpm to the A6, while the other can report its rpm to the mobo CPU fan header so you don't have a CPU fan error issue.

If you have just a single pump, or two pumps for 2 loops, then you can do the mod right on the 4 pin connector from the pump(s).

Darlene

Here's some pics of the Diva Mod on a Swiftech PWM splitter: . . . Hope the explanation and pics help it all make more sense now.

Complete and ready to install . . . the mod is on the 4 pin female connector at the upper right that connects to the A6.

A close up of the mod with heatshrink to keep it tidy.

With the heatshrink pulled back . . you can see that it's a 2.2K ohm resistor, (red/red/red) since it's for a dual pump

Here's a close-up that you'll see posted in several threads and posts here on OCN . . this was also for a dual pump setup, but on a scratch made splitter cable. This was one of my first mods when the A6 first came out and turned out not to work with PWM D5's as it came out of the box.

post #6418 of 13544 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 03:02 PM

She is pure raw talent that woman, I love watching her mind at work. wubsmiley.gif

2 resistors and a 5.1V Zener diode. thumb.gif
post #6419 of 13544 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 06:01 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Hey everyone! I'm having some issues with the Aquaero 6 and the Silverstone fan hub (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VNW556I/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza).

If I don't plug in the fan hub's SATA power, the fans don't seem to be getting power no matter what I do with the Aquaero.

If I plug in the SATA power for the hub, the fans only run at 100% no matter what I do to the voltage, RPM, etc.

I've tried searching the forums and can't find anything on this... any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
post #6420 of 13544 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 06:35 PM
Robocop is #1 movie ever

Rep: 70 (Unique: 49)
So maybe it was the swiftech splitter in the images that I have seen before that was confusing me. So this only applies to D5s right?

For the swiftech mcp35x2 it should work fine without the mod right?

Ol' Dirty Bastard
(29 items)
CPU
6950X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage V edition 10
GPU
Titan X Pascal
GPU
Titan X Pascal
RAM
G.Skill Ripjawz 4 128GB 3200MHz C14 RGB
Hard Drive
Intel 730 series 480GB
Hard Drive
Intel 730 series 480GB
Hard Drive
Intel 6000P 1TB m.2
Hard Drive
WD Black 6TB
Optical Drive
Asus external BD DVD
Power Supply
eVGA 1600W P2
Cooling
EK RVE Edition 10 monoblock
Cooling
EK Titan X Pascal waterblocks with EK back plates
Cooling
Aquacomputer 420mm rad/res/pump combo
Cooling
Aquaero 6 Pro
Cooling
Aquacomputer 420mm rad
Cooling
Aquacomputer 420mm rad
Cooling
Aquacomputer 420mm rad
Cooling
Aquacomputer serial dual D5 pumps with bitspower top and mounts
Case
Caselabs s8
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Asus pb287q
Monitor
Asus pb287q
Monitor
Asus pb287q
Keyboard
Microsoft Sculpt Wireless Ergonomic
Mouse
Logitech wireless trackball
Audio
Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100+
Audio
Sennheiser HD650
Other
Logitech F710 wireless game pad
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in