PETG Tubing VS Acrylic Tubing Pros + Cons - Page 39 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

PETG Tubing VS Acrylic Tubing Pros + Cons

post #381 of 387 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 01:26 AM
Hardware Rep

Rep: 789 (Unique: 492)
Quote: Originally Posted by mrkubanftw View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Unicr0nhunter 

Yeah but there have been reports (one at themodzoo iirc. EDIT: link) of PETG tube melting in the event of a momentary pump failure, something nylon tube nor acrylic is prone to do before a system powers down for a thermal event. Seems PETG has a lower melting point that could lead to a bad situation becoming something catastrophic.

I also would like to know more how PETG holds up over the long term seeing as it is not listed as being UV resistant like Acrylic. What effects, if any, will sunlight or UV case lighting have on it?

BTW, here's a vid B Negative posted in the acrylic pipebending 101 thread that probably belongs here just as well ...

Now ordinarily i would NEVER resurrect a thread from the dead, but this particular thread is a #1 google search for PETG VS ACRYLIC. If that's the case, it hurts me to see this thread so full of incorrect information. I melted a processor due to incorrect information presented in such fashion.

I'll start with this comment.

PETG does not have a lower melting point than ACRYLIC. In fact acrylic's melting point is roughly HALF of PETGS. You could stick PETG in the oven with a tombstone pizza and it should survive. Acrylic, however, has a melting point of about 160C, still not a temp you should be anywhere near as your cpu thermals itself into a shutdown.

Whatever video you cite, it seems much more likely they were using acrylic not petg.

Also i see all this talk about strength of the tubes. Come on. I mean really come on. You can throw out any engineering terms you want to describe these tubes, but miss the point entirely. As an engineer i'll tell you right now it wont come down to rigidity, tensile, torsional, nor elasticity, but a combination of all of these. Look for what you need the tube to do and ask yourself that question. It would be foolish to say acrylic isn't strong, its the same base as polycarbonate (the bulletproof stuff). PETG is known for its manufacturability.

And permeability? Come on. Everything is permeable by definition. Other than a nice gentleman explained how PETG is used largely in the bottling industry (should have been good enough information) The permeability issue... simply is not an issue. Consider it like a PVC as far as permeability goes. Its not too indifferent. PVC by the way are those schedule 40 pipes in your house rated to 600psi water pressure. PVC is also that stuff we used before hard pipes were a 'thing'. But to hell with my rambling, here's some of that awesome thing we call DATA: http://www.pod-sabic-ip.com/KBAM/Ref...il/10620_4.pdf

Personally... my case weighs like 80lbs. While it shouldn't REALLY be a LAN case, it looks bad ass, so i still lug it around to LANs. And like mentioned above, heavy cases twist, especially with an uneven load. Think your rig might be heavy? Look up the coreX9. It takes up my entire back-seat ffs. For myself, i would want something that's not prone to hairline cracking (i'm not saying acrylic DOES but it certainly can a lot easier than PETG). Also would want something that's pretty okay with some unintentional flex, for if intentional flex was our build goal, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

It comes down to this:

What do you want in a tube? Your answer could correctly land you at either PETG or ACRYLIC. There's no wrong answer.
Incorrect, Bottles are made of PET, not PETG for obvious reasons..... PETG is used for DRY materials,not wet.
Also PETG in a standard loop with no flow problems still collapses, I have spent the last few days designing a special part to stop this happening.... its such a problem that we were looking to stop selling it.

You literally have no idea what you are talking about, the deflection temp for PETG is lower than acrylic and thats the temp that matters. It does not have any material properties that we need.
Perhaps the pictures of PETG collapsed tube will convince you...tho I doubt it.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2657.jpg.aa9f2e3ed2a4f1daf0d29abba3b211b9.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	235832  

Name:	IMG_2655.jpg.048f4abc4b0044b4ca6f2ed2e0c70f34.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	235834  

Name:	1k0megmc7rj11.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	929.7 KB
ID:	235838  

Name:	trd8h9rz0lc11.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	842.5 KB
ID:	235840  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #382 of 387 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 01:45 AM

Just whatever flex tubing Food grade like stuff. Pretty Tolerant to quite a bit of stuff. That's something a little softer looks like or less or more wall, gets softer warps it etc.
post #383 of 387 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:57 PM
Devil in baggy pants

Rep: 49 (Unique: 38)
Just got this monsoon bending kit. Beautiful and very high quality. All metal. I just started appreciating the value of these bending kits. For years I just eye balled it and wasted tons of money on tubing. FYI. I've been using PETG for the last 4 years now and unless your system is running at very high temps and your using cheap tubing then you shouldn't worry. I tried acrylic and it's a PITA to work with. It takes forever to soften while bending and it cracks way to easy. I have all the proper tools for both PETG and acrylic. My system is still the same as my signature and unless I'm running a stress test to remove bubbles never had issues with overheating. During one particular stress test for over heating the gaskets on my Reservoir began leaking way before the PETG did.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0157.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	548.0 KB
ID:	264130  

Asus X99-E WS USB 3.1, Intel Core i7-6950x @ 4.4GHz
Dual Titan XP SLI, 64 GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series DDR4 3200 CL 14
Samsung 1 TB 960 pro & 1 Samsung 500GB 960 evo

Last edited by jsutter71; 04-08-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #384 of 387 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:23 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 38 (Unique: 24)
I never understood why people wouldn't go acrylic right from Get-go, you still have to bend PETG, so it takes faster to heat it up, is that the reason you willing to trade for some of the cons of PETG!

On the other hand..acrylic lasts forever, I have never ever cracked any of my tubes, even dropped it few times, acrylic doesn't absorb any liquid and has clearer look, you do it once and your done.
Long story short...Acrylic will always, always be better than PETG in every way you look.

Btw. I'm using Bitspower 16 OD 500mm clear acrylic, its superior product

Last edited by NewUser16; 04-10-2019 at 11:12 AM.
post #385 of 387 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
And one more important thing, PETG tubes costs 2times more then acrylic

but when im looking at it right now,... acrylic has thicker wall ? 16/12, PETG - 16/14
post #386 of 387 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:44 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 23 (Unique: 18)
Quote: Originally Posted by NewUser16 View Post
I never understood why people wouldn't go acrylic right from Get-go, you still have to bend PETG, so it takes faster to heat it up, is that the reason you willing to trade for some of the cons of PETG!

On the other hand..acrylic lasts forever, I have never ever cracked any of my tubes, even dropped it few times, acrylic doesn't absorb any liquid and has clearer look, you do it once and your done.
Long story short...Acrylic will always, always be better than PETG in every way you look.

Btw. I'm using Bitspower 16 OD 500mm clear acrylic, its superior product

I spent a lot of time reading threads like this prior to building my first hard tubing loop and I ended up going with Bitspower Crystal Link 14mm Acrylic tubing. There were too many things about PETG that kept me from considering it such as its low deformation temp, incompatibility with glycol based coolants like XT-1 Nuke, and the clarity or lack thereof.

post #387 of 387 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:31 PM
Devil in baggy pants

Rep: 49 (Unique: 38)
My hard tube bending station. Finally decided to put some thought into the process and stop wasting tubing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0279.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	1,008.1 KB
ID:	266092  

Asus X99-E WS USB 3.1, Intel Core i7-6950x @ 4.4GHz
Dual Titan XP SLI, 64 GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series DDR4 3200 CL 14
Samsung 1 TB 960 pro & 1 Samsung 500GB 960 evo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in