PETG Tubing VS Acrylic Tubing Pros + Cons - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

PETG Tubing VS Acrylic Tubing Pros + Cons

post #1 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 39 (Unique: 23)
Hello! i am thinking about going with PETG tubing rather than acrylic tubing. Seem's much safer to use being so much stronger, i wouldnt have to worry about cracks.

What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 06:22 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 80 (Unique: 66)
Has there been an issue with Acrylic tubing??

Might hear from "B Negative"
post #3 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 06:56 AM
Hardware Rep

Rep: 789 (Unique: 492)
Cracking is not an issue with acrylic,I have yet to hear of a single incident of tubing cracking and failing.

PETG is not UV stable and water permeation is a factor to consider compared to acrylic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I've done a couple acrylic rigs. The last one i was moving, and it slipped out of my hand after putting it down and it fell maybe 1". i had cracks from the top rad to the cpu and cracks in another bend. im aware that cracks are usually from being stressed too much when being bent. And if done correctly should be ok. But after watching the videos on PETG, i still havent seen any bad pieces of PETG or results from water permeation, *which i dont really understand**,and i havent seen any real results about being uv unstable. now are they talking about say the amount of uv from one of those dentist curing lights vs sun vs a uv light cathode or led.
This will be an extremely heavy build. i can easily imagine the frame of the pc twisting slightly if picked up which could induce a crack in acrylic.

what do ya think Bnegative
post #5 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 08:25 AM
r/madlads

Rep: 273 (Unique: 219)
Water permeation means that water will evaporate out of PETG due to being able to nanoscopically leak through the tube.

I wish rigbuilder could make a comeback and honestly I'm not a fan of VB
post #6 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 08:26 AM
Hardware Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlunt View Post

I've done a couple acrylic rigs. The last one i was moving, and it slipped out of my hand after putting it down and it fell maybe 1". i had cracks from the top rad to the cpu and cracks in another bend. im aware that cracks are usually from being stressed too much when being bent. And if done correctly should be ok. But after watching the videos on PETG, i still havent seen any bad pieces of PETG or results from water permeation, *which i dont really understand**,and i havent seen any real results about being uv unstable. now are they talking about say the amount of uv from one of those dentist curing lights vs sun vs a uv light cathode or led.
This will be an extremely heavy build. i can easily imagine the frame of the pc twisting slightly if picked up which could induce a crack in acrylic.

what do ya think Bnegative

If you are willing to be the guinea pig then try it but,to me,its not been tested anywhere near long enough for it to be adopted yet.

post #7 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

icic.. Nice builds btw!! +rep

well i already ordered some, and i have both acrylic and PETG.
i have enough spare parts laying around to make a simple loop and expose it to whatever.
any thoughts on that?
post #8 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 08:38 AM
Hardware Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlunt View Post

icic.. Nice builds btw!! +rep

well i already ordered some, and i have both acrylic and PETG.
i have enough spare parts laying around to make a simple loop and expose it to whatever.
any thoughts on that?

Do it,all testing is valid if all components are subject to the same conditions.
It will be a long test for you tho.....months rather than weeks.....

If you post results,i will include them in my acrylic bending thread.

post #9 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 07:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 522 (Unique: 350)
PETG is definitely stronger and is reported to be easier to work with (bends easier) than acrylic. It not being UV resistant like acrylic is though could be an issue I would imagine. Will it yellow or possibly become more brittle over time or who knows what else if exposed to sun or UV lights? Also the fact it is hydroscopic (absorbs water) similar to flexible tubing I suspect could mean it might be more susceptible to staining by dyes/coolants. I don't know the answers to any of those things though as I won't be getting any PETG myself at least not for a while until some of those suggested possibilities of drawbacks from ways it differs from acrylic are confirmed or ruled out.

Is PETG being offered anywhere in any colors like acrylic or just clear?
post #10 of 387 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 10:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 25 (Unique: 22)
been rocking petg for months now with no issues. Not worried about UV because I don't have any UV cathodes in my rig, also the inside of my rig rarely sees daylight. It was much easier to work with than acrylic and I have been very pleased with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in