[Build Log] "Silent Tree": A closed loop fitting bracket for Graphic Cards - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] "Silent Tree": A closed loop fitting bracket for Graphic Cards

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
What's a computer?

Rep: 97 (Unique: 73)
Quote:
Originally Posted by closestnum20 View Post

lookin good thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Thank you.

I'm really pleased to, and I hope the bracket will look as good when I remove the masking tape tomorrow. I also hope that I can work with it and shape it after I paint parts of it. I was concerned about heating the acrylic with the masking tape on it so I only painted parts of it and then I am going to shape it like I originally wanted to before painting it. I will just have to be careful when masking it when painting and shaping the rest of the bracket.

On a side note: I'm also redoing my VRM heatsinks so I am stuck with kind of a dilemma here that I wanted to bounce of all of you guys. I am reshaping my main VRM heatsink so that it can handle a thiner thermal pad and thus eliminate the VRM temp problem that the Vapor-X 7950s are known for. The dilemma is however with the VRM2 cooling since I'm replacing a reinforcer that wasn't doing it's job as well as it should when it comes to cooling. The problem is that I have a ram heatsink that I can shape to fit it perfectly with some double sided tape, and I have a larger heatsink that I have modified to fit the card and the screwholes that is on it. If I use the latter one I will be able to use my 7w/mk Phobya 0.5mm thermal pad instead of the Alphacool double sided tape with 1w/mk. The ram sink has better fins and looks better but I can try and sandblast the custom one to be pure aluminium. Thus I wanted to ask all of you what you would choose:'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 07:45 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
i would chose the blue one if it were cleaner but right now the aluminum on with no screw holes is looking better with more surface area
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
What's a computer?

Today I was able to do a lot of progress on the bracket itself but but unfortunately I had a major setback. I am very happy with the result of the masking and as you can see from the picture below it worked quite well:

I made a bend to get the face plate with the lettering, and as I said I will have to be extra carefull from now on. Thus I masked the entire area that was painted.

while I made the bend I found a large crack through the plastic so I will have to handle that in time (I will file it down and fill it with epoxy plastic welding).

Then I drilled some holes in it to prepare to fit it to the card. I will be filing away what the holesaw and drill could not take.

Progress will likely take a dive until I'm finished with my exams. I'll come back strong though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 05:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 18)
That looks fantastic. Amazing detail and I'm sure the finished product will be a sight to behold. Great work, and I hope that crack fixes easy.

cosmos s
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
What's a computer?

I finished up the shape of it today and I filled the crack with some epoxy. Hopefully it will work, but I can't say for sure for another 24 hours. I will upload the pics then as well.

The bracket is nearing it's completion and hopefully I can have a finished product in my computer by the end of the week. I just hope it doesn't affect my exam grades that much as I have my last one on Friday.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter
What's a computer?

I made some major progress today and as is stands I'm only missing a bit of polish and the masking tape for the face plate before I can do the very last paint job. The epoxy worked miracles on the crack and I managed to get a smooth transition between the glued area and the rest of the bracket by the use of some trusty old sanding paper.

Here you can see that I finished the holes, they will be polished up a bit before painting but the fan holes only need to let air through to the chips on the card.

As you can see the epoxy worked quite nicely in hiding the crack, I only have to be careful with the positioning of the masked areas for the "face plate", I really don't want epoxy to be showing in my lettering.

Here you can see a small addition that I needed to make for the bracket since I needed a hole to let the DVI connectors through.

This is a small addition that I made for the bracket, and it will fit the bracket to the PCI slot cover. It will be painted as well to be as inconspicuous as possible.

I also made the needed modifications for my heatsinks, so now my main VRM heatsink has a "groove" in it to allow it to pass over any components besides the VRMs and as such I can use a thinner and more effective thermal pad to get better temps.

After messing around with the VRM 2 heatsink I ended up going for the old ram heatsink but with a slight modification to allow it to stay clear of the capacitors on my card.

I also found a rather ingenious way to fit it to the card, rather than choosing between he nicer ram heatsink with thermal tape and the crudely made one with screw holes and thermal pad. I designed a way to fit the RAM heatsink to the card with screws and thermal pad (I might even use thermal paste if I wish. Take a look:

So what do you all think? getting excited to see the end result? I know I am biggrin.gif
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-28-2014, 04:31 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 21 (Unique: 18)
Thats a ingenious part. I was having a hard time trying to figure out a way to mount the vrm cooler. Looks like you got it, good job. All those little things take a lot of work and time. It always suprises me how long it takes to do them. Looks very good.

cosmos s
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter
What's a computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0493mike View Post

Thats a ingenious part. I was having a hard time trying to figure out a way to mount the vrm cooler. Looks like you got it, good job. All those little things take a lot of work and time. It always suprises me how long it takes to do them. Looks very good.

I hear you. Doing the small stuff takes a long time, and I think it's because you need to shape everything perfectly to fit. Not to mention that if you do something wrong there is so little material to work with that you have to redo the entire thing. I actually had to do that with that little screw bracket since the one in the picture didn't fit properly. I'm also very thankful that I found a cheap dremmel, I couldn't have done any of that small stuff otherwise (A hacksaw doesn't cut it at that size).

A small update: The bracket is sanded and only some intricate masking remains. The rest of the day will be used with my face buried in books so I will finish masking tomorrow and it will probably all be finished by Sunday.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-29-2014, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
What's a computer?

Finished masking today although I'm not sure how I did it between hitting the books and all the other stuff. Anyway, some last pictures before I do the final painting on the thing:

After that I just need to drill the holes for LEDs and cable management. Hopefully it will all end up looking awesome biggrin.gif
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
What's a computer?

I finished my exam a few hours ago and the first thing I did when I got home? paint the mounting bracket of course biggrin.gif Just need to wait for the primer to set and I can start doing the real paint work, luckily it's a hot day today (for Norway at least) and I hung it up to dry in the greenhouse tongue.gif

Edit: I'm also lapping my copper shim and the pump surface while I'm waiting for the paint to dry, hopefully that will give me that 0.1*c that I was wanting tongue.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in