[Build Log] "Silent Tree": A closed loop fitting bracket for Graphic Cards - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] "Silent Tree": A closed loop fitting bracket for Graphic Cards

post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Not New to Overclock.net

Rep: 893 (Unique: 611)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker91 View Post

Thanks smile.gif
I'm not entirely sure if it was acrylic since it behaved very strangely, so for anyone doing this it would be better to get proper acrylic (maybe even colored transparent for a cool look). As for what I used to cut it was a hacksaw, holesaw, drill, a file and a dremmel (only found one for the last part and it really speed up things. The best way to get a perfect cut though is with a heated string (probably best with steel as it holds the heat well) as that makes an entirely clear cut.

If you want to do this then I do have a few pointers as to what materials to use and so on so just send me a PM if you want help.

thanks for your help. but if you can see my location, it's hard to access all these tools on the cheap smile.gif, i'm having troubles finding the acrylic for my side window mod, i only have a dremel 300 though that i bought like 5 years ago and paid 100$ customs for it apart from shipping and its price which as like 40$ on sale. but i never regret that.. it's an amazing tool.

I am a DYI freak when it comes to mods and stuff i'll use, And i've learned through the many videos i see and seek for learning that's the best way ever to finish acrylic is using a torch with certain heat Degree and a proper training.

Anyway, i am not doing this until i snatch a 290 or 290X off the market place, then i'll have to grab a CLC from here to work with. however if you have any 1:1 scale for the asetec pump/resrvoir for CLCs it would be awesome and easier than lining it up smile.gif

thanks.

Oh yeah, I'm Back.
Hot Flame (WIP)
(8 items)
CPU
AMD R7 3700X
Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi
GPU
AMD 5700 XT
Hard Drive
Crucial P1
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus G
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer XR342CKP
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
What's a computer?

Rep: 97 (Unique: 73)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzinho View Post

thanks for your help. but if you can see my location, it's hard to access all these tools on the cheap smile.gif, i'm having troubles finding the acrylic for my side window mod, i only have a dremel 300 though that i bought like 5 years ago and paid 100$ customs for it apart from shipping and its price which as like 40$ on sale. but i never regret that.. it's an amazing tool.

I am a DYI freak when it comes to mods and stuff i'll use, And i've learned through the many videos i see and seek for learning that's the best way ever to finish acrylic is using a torch with certain heat Degree and a proper training.

Anyway, i am not doing this until i snatch a 290 or 290X off the market place, then i'll have to grab a CLC from here to work with. however if you have any 1:1 scale for the asetec pump/resrvoir for CLCs it would be awesome and easier than lining it up smile.gif

thanks.

I didn't write them down but I can get them for you if you want using a caliper. I'll send you a pm when I got them.

Oh and as for tools, that's just what I used. You can do it all with the dremmel since you already have one.

Edit: You can of course use any material you want to create it but mine was on the heavier side so you should think of the weight when choosing a material. As for shaping anything really, there is always a way, jut don't choose titanium, high carbon steel or stainless steel as that is very hard to shape, not to mention expensive. Aluminum is quite easy to do with a drill, dremmel and a hacksaw so that would be a good material.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 04:59 PM
Not New to Overclock.net

Quote:

I didn't write them down but I can get them for you if you want using a caliper. I'll send you a pm when I got them.

Oh and as for tools, that's just what I used. You can do it all with the dremmel since you already have one.

just when u have time. thanks for the help.. it will be some time.. hopefully not over a month. but it will take some time to get the $$ for that upgrade.

Oh yeah, I'm Back.
Hot Flame (WIP)
(8 items)
CPU
AMD R7 3700X
Motherboard
GPU
AMD 5700 XT
Hard Drive
Crucial P1
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus G
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer XR342CKP
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 08:35 AM
Not New to Overclock.net

i found out places that sell Acrylic sheets up to 20mm .. i wonder how thick is the one you used.. seems like about 8mm to me. still it's so expensive here.. but i'll see what i can do.. is this doable by a 3mm ?

Oh yeah, I'm Back.
Hot Flame (WIP)
(8 items)
CPU
AMD R7 3700X
Motherboard
GPU
AMD 5700 XT
Hard Drive
Crucial P1
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus G
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer XR342CKP
▲ hide details ▲

post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
What's a computer?

Quote:

i found out places that sell Acrylic sheets up to 20mm .. i wonder how thick is the one you used.. seems like about 8mm to me. still it's so expensive here.. but i'll see what i can do.. is this doable by a 3mm ?

it's actually from one of those plates that you put on the floor in your office for chairs (so they can move freely and so they won't scratch the floor), and that is 6mm thick. I would however recommend the standard 5mm acrylic sheets for this bracket as that is enough to get a stable mount (while lowering the weight) and it's easier to work with. If you're having trouble finding places they sell it then you could look at any local auto shop. Many do use them so you can ask for scraps and such which might save you some cash.

Something you should also think of is that a "frosted" look on your acrylic will be what you want to go for for your masked areas as it's way easier to sand the entire thing and then apply masking tape then to sand around intricate patterns.

I can help you with the design if you want but you should of course check to see if you can source the raw materials first.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 01:06 PM
Not New to Overclock.net

well thanks a lot for your help, i was actually gonna give it another look to go with My build theme which is Blue... so i want to come up with something matching the theme. I need the material for my upcoming case pimping as i'm changing all the fans, getting some LEDS and making a window mod.

My Birthday is on July 1st and wife and sister splitting a Qnix 27" for me hehehe biggrin.gif... So i'm gonna get a 290 and scoop a used CLC to use on..

I'm finally having a vacation for the first time in 8 month so i will be away till next week. so i will let you know once i lay my hands on the material. i also found that model of Jigsaw available in my country.. it's not expensive and is a good investment. just wanted to ask you if this is a good one.

Oh yeah, I'm Back.
Hot Flame (WIP)
(8 items)
CPU
AMD R7 3700X
Motherboard
GPU
AMD 5700 XT
Hard Drive
Crucial P1
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus G
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer XR342CKP
▲ hide details ▲

post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
What's a computer?

Quote:

well thanks a lot for your help, i was actually gonna give it another look to go with My build theme which is Blue... so i want to come up with something matching the theme. I need the material for my upcoming case pimping as i'm changing all the fans, getting some LEDS and making a window mod.

My Birthday is on July 1st and wife and sister splitting a Qnix 27" for me hehehe biggrin.gif... So i'm gonna get a 290 and scoop a used CLC to use on..

I'm finally having a vacation for the first time in 8 month so i will be away till next week. so i will let you know once i lay my hands on the material. i also found that model of Jigsaw available in my country.. it's not expensive and is a good investment. just wanted to ask you if this is a good one.

Black and Decker is a well known brand, but you should know that you don't need brand named parts to do this. My dremmel for example is a cheap one I bought for the equivalent of 20USD and it works just as well as a real one. If you can get quality brand tools then they are likely going to last you longer (if not they usually have a good warranty) so if you have the ability to get some then brands like Bosh, Black and Decker and Dewalt is among the better out there so you should be safe with any of those. It should be mentioned however that you still get a bit what you pay for in the sence that a bottom model won't be as strong and might not be as rugged as the more expensive ones. But for any simple DIY job you can get quite far with simple tools.

Some tools that you should get if you don't have them:
- A drill (docent matter if its driven by a cord or battery or if it's hand held or not), this is really essential so I hope you have one. If not then get one that can fit regular drill bits and not just for screws.
- A hacksaw, can be cheap or expensive but they are worth their weight in gold either way when you need to cut things by hand (go for cheap here).
- A vice really is among the more useful tools you can get, but you can get away with simple clamps instead.
- A selection of files, Get the cheapest ones as there isn't really any difference.
- A set of hole saws is useful but not needed if you get a jigsaw as you can drill a smaller hole and cut it with the jigsaw instead. Hole saws give a precise circle though if you get it in the correct size, but they do require a stronger drill. Meaning you wold either need one of those fixed in a bench or a cord powered one (I hvae two of different strengths and the smaller one started smoking when I used a 82mm holesaw on it for my plastic bracket.

Anyways, as for your themed build. What is important to remember is to not overdo it with the colors, so you want to use blue acrylic or blue leds and then paint the bracket in the same color as your case. That way you get a blue themed build instead of a blue build.

I will order some new leds and screws for my bracket (as the 6 leds that are on it isn't cutting it) so I will do the measurements when I dismantle it then. That reminds me; When fitting the bracket you will need long 3mm screws and I would advice going for 50-55mm long screws for the core as you could fit springs and finger nuts on it then which is way easier then regular nuts on AMD cards (the screw holes are directly beside the pump so it is hard to fit correctly).
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 01:39 PM
Not New to Overclock.net

Quote:

Black and Decker is a well known brand, but you should know that you don't need brand named parts to do this. My dremmel for example is a cheap one I bought for the equivalent of 20USD and it works just as well as a real one. If you can get quality brand tools then they are likely going to last you longer (if not they usually have a good warranty) so if you have the ability to get some then brands like Bosh, Black and Decker and Dewalt is among the better out there so you should be safe with any of those. It should be mentioned however that you still get a bit what you pay for in the sence that a bottom model won't be as strong and might not be as rugged as the more expensive ones. But for any simple DIY job you can get quite far with simple tools.

Some tools that you should get if you don't have them:
- A drill (docent matter if its driven by a cord or battery or if it's hand held or not), this is really essential so I hope you have one. If not then get one that can fit regular drill bits and not just for screws. Check
- A hacksaw, can be cheap or expensive but they are worth their weight in gold either way when you need to cut things by hand (go for cheap here). Check
- A vice really is among the more useful tools you can get, but you can get away with simple clamps instead. "No Bench"
- A selection of files, Get the cheapest ones as there isn't really any difference. I may have these but i wont know what they are called in english smile.gif
- A set of hole saws is useful but not needed if you get a jigsaw as you can drill a smaller hole and cut it with the jigsaw instead. Hole saws give a precise circle though if you get it in the correct size, but they do require a stronger drill. Meaning you wold either need one of those fixed in a bench or a cord powered one (I hvae two of different strengths and the smaller one started smoking when I used a 82mm holesaw on it for my plastic bracket. Check + I'm getting that Jigsaw anyway smile.gif

Anyways, as for your themed build. What is important to remember is to not overdo it with the colors, so you want to use blue acrylic or blue leds and then paint the bracket in the same color as your case. That way you get a blue themed build instead of a blue build.

Thanks a lot for the help.. rarely you see someone cut from their time to do this...
I will order some new leds and screws for my bracket (as the 6 leds that are on it isn't cutting it) so I will do the measurements when I dismantle it then. That reminds me; When fitting the bracket you will need long 3mm screws and I would advice going for 50-55mm long screws for the core as you could fit springs and finger nuts on it then which is way easier then regular nuts on AMD cards (the screw holes are directly beside the pump so it is hard to fit correctly).

Oh yeah, I'm Back.
Hot Flame (WIP)
(8 items)
CPU
AMD R7 3700X
Motherboard
GPU
AMD 5700 XT
Hard Drive
Crucial P1
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus G
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer XR342CKP
▲ hide details ▲

post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
What's a computer?

Quote:

cool, that will make everything much easier. As for the vice or clamps, it really helps to keep what you are working on in one spot so it's very helpful but not an absolute necessity. As for the files I'm thinking of this kind. It helps to have some smaller ones to but that would only help with the holes for fitting the bracket as they might need to be changed a bit, so a very narrow one would help with that as there is always some fitting needed when you try it on your card.

Oh and as I always so I'm happy to help, so just ask if you need some. I might not answer at once but I can almost guarantee that I will answer.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 02:13 PM
Not New to Overclock.net

Quote:

cool, that will make everything much easier. As for the vice or clamps, it really helps to keep what you are working on in one spot so it's very helpful but not an absolute necessity. As for the files I'm thinking of this kind. It helps to have some smaller ones to but that would only help with the holes for fitting the bracket as they might need to be changed a bit, so a very narrow one would help with that as there is always some fitting needed when you try it on your card.

Oh and as I always so I'm happy to help, so just ask if you need some. I might not answer at once but I can almost guarantee that I will answer.

Thanks again. yes i've files.. only thing i don't have is the Vice.. cause i've no bench to tie them to... I live in an apartment so no garage to setup my dream workshop.. i'm 100% if i move to another country i'll be broke just because of PC stuff and My tools to have stuff done at home.. biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, I'm Back.
Hot Flame (WIP)
(8 items)
CPU
AMD R7 3700X
Motherboard
GPU
AMD 5700 XT
Hard Drive
Crucial P1
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus G
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro
Monitor
Acer XR342CKP
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in