[Thoughts] Total From Scratch WC Case project. New ideas are welcome :) (ordering parts) - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Thoughts] Total From Scratch WC Case project. New ideas are welcome :) (ordering parts)

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 14 (Unique: 13)
Hi guys smile.gif I've made some project draws but I always postpone their building due to time issues and I forgot them because they were very job/time/money hungry... But I was thinking here and doing some draws and I came along with this little and cheap from scratch project that it's not hard to built, it's cheap and fairly simple to do. My goal with this is having the stealthiest PC I can (regardless of the 9x120 Mora I'll buy, lol) and I thought this little space that was used just for cables and a router would be just nice to fit it like drawer. I thought putting it inside a actual drawer, but I would not be able to have any air flow at all and would have to cut/mod my furniture, so a big no no.

(I will remove that wooden shelf to place the case, of course)

Now, let me explain it. The case itself consists in a stainless steel cube structure with the bottom made by a stainless steel barbecue grill (to allow air flow though it). Why? Because it's cheap and will work smile.gif.

Like this one:

It has no top or back/left/right side panels as this areas will be covered by the desk inside walls. I covered this parts on the SketchUp just for making things easier to imagine for you.

Front view (what I will "see" and touch daily):

Outside views:

From top view:

From bottom view:

Already have CPU block, tubing, fittings, pump and some fans, will buy the rest of WC parts in the next months and the hardware when I can. The loop will probably be Res > Pump #1 > Pump #2 > MB > CPU > GPU > External radiator > Res. Now, the questions biggrin.gif:

1. Will this work? haha rolleyes.gif

2. I know MBs doesn't put away much heat, but as it is a pretty uncommon setup and I don't know if the air will flow effectively, do you think will I need to water cool the mother board? I'll overclock a i7 4770/4790k to the maximum I can or until I reach 1.4v (I feel that more than this isn't worth). Maybe that two fans pushing air over the board and the "open" bottom will make it cool enough? Or this setup doesn't provides me a good airflow and I need to WC the MB too?

3. Can you tell me what I can change there to make it better?

Thanks guys!

Easy Automatic Shutdown for Overheating CPU (water pump failure)
Controlling fans with PWM signal from motherboard CPU and GPU fan headers
Ziptie screw for heatsinks
Prepping a sleeve bearing fan for work
Search for Martin's Liquid Labs (great watercooling tests database)

English is not my native language so, please, any grammar incoherence or typo or anything I write wrong, tell me and I'll be happy to make the corrections and learn more =).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Also was thinking if the PSU would have enough fresh air to run cool and silent...

English is not my native language so, please, any grammar incoherence or typo or anything I write wrong, tell me and I'll be happy to make the corrections and learn more =).
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 09:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Man, I like your way of thinking. I just did a scratch build myself.. The things I see with your concept. There is no need for two pumps.. They are just taking up space. Just use one.. My loop is about 3/4 of a liter. Your will be close to half a liter. Also the location of your power supply is going to be a pain to wire... I suggest point the cables in the case...(ie... point the cable to pump one.) Also to help recocate the psu where you have the harddrive is. Place the hard drive where pump one is.. This will help with wiring and air flow.... Russ... PS... I'm excited bout this build.... Definitely subbed thumb.gif

Also I just saw... the bbq grill ( great idea ) will also be very hard to mount anything to. Prolly more work than it's worth. But, if you are determined. You can use JB-Weld to fixs mount to the grill.... I would suggest 1/4 acrylic...

I'm proud to be from the Tim Allen/MacGyver generation thumb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

So do you think a single D5 pump would handle it with good flow rates? Remember that the loop consists in cpu + gpu + mb (probably) + mora 3 + 2 quick disconnects pairs. About the hardware mounting on the bbq grill, I see that aligning the mounting holes with the bbq grill would be a PAIN. So I'm thinking on just screwing/soldering some thin and long steel plates to the bbq grill, under the mother board mounting holes and use double standoffs to have the slim optical drive space assured. About the PSU, I chosed that position for it to improve the over mother board airflow by having it's fan sucking air from the MB (which comes from the front intakeres fans). Sorry for any typos, cellphone :/

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I'll probably order the rest of the WC loop parts next week, so I need to know: would a single D5 be able to pump that system? I calculated the PSI drop by looking at Martin Liquid Labs' information and I'll have something like 0.7PSI @1GPM left to the radiator. Would it be sufficient? Or should I buy another pump? Or should I buy a Phobya 1080 that doesn't have that much pressure drop? I know the MORA3 is way better constructed, have way better quality control (I didn't liked that much the Phobya I had and sold it, maybe was just that unit) and have a little bit more performance... But:

MORA3 + D5 = $250 (which I'm not sure if would work)
MORA3 + 2 D5 = $320 (for sure work)
Phobya 1080 + D5 = $190 (for sure work)

That difference is the amount to buy a VGA block and/or do a silent and overkill push'n'pull setup, buy hardware, a nice keyboard... So, what do you think?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 10:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 315 (Unique: 212)
If you keep the graphics cards in parallel a single D5 should handle it, if you put them in serial a single D5 at full swing should probably manage. Keep in mind the MoRa is really restrictive so it might behoove you to drop in dual pumps so you can run at a lower setting if you're going for silence. One thought is dust buildup, with an open air rig like that you quite simply can't maintain positive pressure so you'll need to either use dust filters up the wazoo or keep a HEPA filter in the room the PC will be in.

You may feel popular, but you will never be as legendary as this thread!

Current Projects: Wyvern

~0101101001111001011101000110100001100101
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZytheEKS View Post

If you keep the graphics cards in parallel a single D5 should handle it, if you put them in serial a single D5 at full swing should probably manage. Keep in mind the MoRa is really restrictive so it might behoove you to drop in dual pumps so you can run at a lower setting if you're going for silence. One thought is dust buildup, with an open air rig like that you quite simply can't maintain positive pressure so you'll need to either use dust filters up the wazoo or keep a HEPA filter in the room the PC will be in.

For the filters I have a idea that can work... If not, I have too a air compressor that can resolve that problem, thanks for the advice. About the radiator, if I chose the Phobya just one D5 would handle it above 1GPM? Could I put it below setting 5 and have good flow?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in