Hi, newbe here. [Build Log: Water cooling, upping the anti] Sorry, if I sound stupid... - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Hi, newbe here. [Build Log: Water cooling, upping the anti] Sorry, if I sound stupid...

post #1 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 8 (Unique: 7)
I will be doing a prolonged build log where I start with a Corsair H70 all in one water cooler to a full custom loop. I have never done a custom loop before so it will be a new experience for me. I will be adding to the water loop as time progresses. I know next to nothing about how to make a custom loop so I will need some help on what the proper procedure is.

Here's the hardware I'm starting with:

Case:

NEW NZXT H440 STEEL Mid Tower Case. Next Generation 5.25-less Design. Include 4 x 2nd Gen FNv2 Fans, High-End WC support, USB3.0, White. Not much to say here accept I might need some guidance for what radiator or radiators can fit inside the case.

Intel core i7 5820K. Its running at 4.5 GHZ right now, but I will hope to see this increase as my build gets better.

ASUS X99-A. I used ASUS's AI Suite 3 to OC my processor to 4.3 GHz, but figured out the settings to get a better OC with it. The 4.5 GHz OC is from the AIS3 application.

1x ASUS GTX 980 STRIC DC2OC GPU +1.I have since purchased another one of these, but have not yet installed and and don't even know the ASIC score of it. The first one has an ASIC score of 77%. I may just go for a third.

SAMSUNG 840 EVO 120 GB. I originally purchased this SSD from newegg for $69.99. this is the drive I was using for my OS. It served me well. I will be doing away with this though I'm afraid.

1X SAMSUNG 840 Pro 512 +1. I purchased one of these about a month ago, but have since got another one. I will be putting them in RAID 0, and this will replace the EVO for the OS.

Seagate Barracuda STBD2000101 2TB +2. I purchase both of these at the same time recently, but have not connected them to my PC yet. They will be in RAID 1. Not much else will be said about these in this build log because there is not much in the way of benching or water cooling for these.

XFX PRO650W Core Edition Power Supply 80+ Bronze. I bought this for a previous PC and used it initially for this build. Sadly, as good as the PSU is, it simply can't do the Job anymore for this build. I have since gotten a new PSU and installed it into my PC.

FSP Group AURUM PT Series 1200W (PT1200FM) ATX12V/EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Power Supply +1. This PSU should be able to handle 3x 980s with custom BIOSes and volt mods to boot along with support for Haswell-E which can run pretty high in the Wattage department. It is a new PSU that I have recently installed in my PC.

Cooling:

Corsair Hydro H70 CORE CPU Liquid Cooler. This is my current cooler. I will tell you this up front: When I am done with this build log, this water cooler will look like trash.

1x Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition CO-9050006-WW 120mm Twin Pack High Static Pressure Case Fan +2. I purchased a first twin pack of these fans and loved them so much I decided to buy 2 more packs.

Akust WC02-0004-AKS Larkooler SkyWater 330 - All-in-one Extreme Universal PC Liquid Cooling System +1. I just got this in the mail yesterday. It is essentially where I am starting the upgrade with a twist which you will see below.

Primochill 10' Primo Flex Advanced LRT 3/8" ID, 1/2 OD Elegant White tubing +1. Its basic white tubing which I will use instead of the tubing that comes with the SkyWater 330.

ESPC EC6 1 Litre Clear Liquid. Its high quality coolant. Not much else to say about it.

Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound. I have never used this exact thermal past before, but when I went to Micro Center today, I just said what's your best thermal past and this is what he gave me.

Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings. I may stick with these or I might get new ones later depending on how I think they look with this build. They came in a set of six so we will see how far that takes us.

Swiftech HydriX Extreme Duty Coolant Heat Transfer Enhancer & Corrosion Inhibitor. I don't really know what the heck this stuff is but it was only $2.50 at Micro Center and you never know...

Well, thats all the parts I have right now. I know I plan on getting water blocks for my two 980 strixs and will be getting a different water block for the CPU as well as another radiator or two. Let me know if you think I am going in the right direction.

Here''s a benchmark scores from 3dmark Ultimate that I have been able to attain with the current set up with all original parts:

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3215230

Here are my current specs with this build with all original parts:

valid.x86.fr/p15eit

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details.php?id=9eg66

Here are some before pic of this build:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
200x200px-ZC-b306d82a_P1020986.jpeg

Ignore the sig rig, its all messed up right now, though it is what I currently have for my PC, but some things are not installed or up and running yet.

Like I said in the title, I am a complete newb when it comes to water cooling so I need some help with this. I wrill need guidance for this water cooling system so any advice is welcomed.

If you're still reading please leave a comment below.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Phase 1: reserved.

This might help. this is a picture of all but one box I have for this build already - a Samsung 840 Pro 512GB box:

The fan boxes were somewhat tucked under the storage drives, because... IDK, thats just the way I did it I guess wink.gif I also should have showed off the box for the WC all-in-one box, but scroll down and you'll see more of that stuff.

Phase 1 complete.

post #3 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Phase 2: reserved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Phase 3: reserved.
post #5 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Here is what I will be stating with for phase 1.

I apologies for picture quality; I will be getting a new camera soon. I'll be taking detailed picks of the fittings, tubing, reservoir and backplate next.
post #6 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 02:45 PM
post #7 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I'll also be taking pics of the radiator along with the other things.

Could the mods move this thread to the appropriate section please. I totally had a brain fart because I haven't slept for about 24 hours; jobs keeping me busy.

Here's a pic I forgot to take, one of the coolant:

post #8 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 04:06 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 89 (Unique: 70)
post #9 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehlar View Post

Subbing in.
Interesting choice for the kit.

I got the kit for $115 because of open box. I went with this option because I wont have the pump, res or back plate for very long. I spent almost as much on fittings, tubing, thermal past and coolant as the entire kit and its my first upgrade. I got to tell you, this is an expensive hobby I've decided to take up. The whole idea of this is to gradually build up my cooling system until I am cooling 3x 980s and a haswell-e cpu equipped with a very appealing water cooling system. Its also gives me a chance for me to build up to it in terms of skill because at this point I have almost no idea what I am doing other than putting stuff together where it looks like it goes. That's why I need help with this build -so that I am sure I am doing things right.

Also pics!

Tubing: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Radiator: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Fittings: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

post #10 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Pump/Res and water block pics.

I'll be working towards the Phase 1 completion today. Pics will be up soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in