I cannot get all the air bubbles out of my CPU block - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

I cannot get all the air bubbles out of my CPU block

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0

I have tried tilting the case every which way but upside down, I've tapped on the CPU block while tilting, tapped on the CPU block while pump was running, tapped on the CPU block while tilting while the pump was running, I've tried shaking it.

The bubbles literally won't move from those spots.

What should I do? Should I tilt it upside down and tap on the CPU block? Should I fill my res up more? Should I just keep shaking and tilting until I physically can't anymore?

I have a Bitspower res with an aqua tube and 3 port lid, MCP655 pump set on speed 4, EK PE360, EK PE240, EK PE120, 2x EK GTX 780 GPU blocks, EK Supremacy EVO CPU block, bitspower enhanced multi-link fittings, and EK 10/12mm acrylic tubing.

I do have an aqua tube fyi, so the liquid isn't just pouring into the res.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 10:28 AM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 120 (Unique: 96)
I see two approaches you could take: patience, or soap.

The patient approach would be to turn your box onto one side or another (your choice) and leave it that way for three or four days. Gravity should do the job to dislodge those bubbles. Also you could try pulsing your pump and ramping the speed up and down if it has variable control.

The soap approach would of course be to add one or two drops of mild dish soap (make sure it's not concentrated) to break surface tension.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 12:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 215 (Unique: 183)
Dish soap should get those bubbles out

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by threephi View Post

I see two approaches you could take: patience, or soap.

The patient approach would be to turn your box onto one side or another (your choice) and leave it that way for three or four days. Gravity should do the job to dislodge those bubbles. Also you could try pulsing your pump and ramping the speed up and down if it has variable control.

The soap approach would of course be to add one or two drops of mild dish soap (make sure it's not concentrated) to break surface tension.

So I'm going to try flipping it around and tilting it some more, and then laying it on its side for a while.

From doing some searching about the dish soap, it seems overall beneficial for my loop regardless of my issue or not. Would you recommend adding the soap, period?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 02:06 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 215 (Unique: 183)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensbruh View Post

So I'm going to try flipping it around and tilting it some more, and then laying it on its side for a while.

From doing some searching about the dish soap, it seems overall beneficial for my loop regardless of my issue or not. Would you recommend adding the soap, period?

I suggest adding it if you are having air pocket issues for sure. Flipping it and shaking it around hardly ever works. Add a few drops to start with.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 02:47 PM
Old to Overclock.net

Rep: 120 (Unique: 96)
I would definitely recommend the soap if the air bubbles won't work themselves out any other way. I've never done it, but that's mostly due to not having clear tops on any of my blocks and therefore remaining blissfully ignorant of any small bubbles that might be trapped wink.gif Just don't over do it since that would make suds form. FWIW I'm not aware of any other benefit to adding soap except getting out air bubbles.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 03:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 78 (Unique: 62)
I've had similar happen on the same block. I just let time run its course and it was gone after a few days of different pump speeds and the changes between my water temperature.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 04:41 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by threephi View Post

I would definitely recommend the soap if the air bubbles won't work themselves out any other way. I've never done it, but that's mostly due to not having clear tops on any of my blocks and therefore remaining blissfully ignorant of any small bubbles that might be trapped wink.gif Just don't over do it since that would make suds form. FWIW I'm not aware of any other benefit to adding soap except getting out air bubbles.

Would one of these work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALT F4 View Post

I've had similar happen on the same block. I just let time run its course and it was gone after a few days of different pump speeds and the changes between my water temperature.

Hmm, I've tried letting it run for a while, it's just that a lot of these bubbles aren't little microbubbles, they're very large bubbles that are just stuck in different spots of the block and they don't move at all. And unfortunately I wouldn't be able to adjust my pump speed without draining it all and removing at least two tubes. It's a MCP655 (D5) set on speed 4, which I believe is plenty enough to push through my loop, though I may be mistaken.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 10:00 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 359 (Unique: 284)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensbrah View Post

And unfortunately I wouldn't be able to adjust my pump speed without draining it all and removing at least two tubes. It's a MCP655 (D5) set on speed 4, which I believe is plenty enough to push through my loop, though I may be mistaken.

a fan controller with a high enough wattage rating will let you vary your pump speed.

post-flame-small.gif_.=5 GHz Overclock Club=._post-flame-small.gif
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 03:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 19 (Unique: 19)
My heatkiller CPU block always gets a few air bubbles stuck. Because they are on the top of the block they aren't going to have any appreciable difference to temperature so I just let time take its course. If you just run the system with them in there eventually the air will get pushed around to the reservoir and the problem will be solved. It usually takes a couple of days before all the air is out of the system in my experience and its running as quietly as it should, in the meantime those bubbles aren't doing any harm so you can ignore them,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in