How to correctly leak test your loop......101? - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How to correctly leak test your loop......101?

post #21 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 07:14 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 522 (Unique: 350)
Well, got my new pressure test setup put together. Now I have my old two piece set that uses two ports, with the valve and the the gauge each threaded into a 1/4 NPT to G1/4 adapter, and the other is that Home Depot gas test gauge set that Cavey00 linked above attached to a tube with a Bitspower D plug at the other end so I can do a pressure leak test from any single port in a loop, and with the D-Plug on a tube it should let me easily get to some tight spots if needed. Both sets cost me roughly the same, right around ~$30 in all, shipping included.

Air Pressure Loop Leak Test Sets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 07:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 63 (Unique: 53)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicr0nhunter View Post

Well, got my new pressure test setup put together. Now I have my old two piece set that uses two ports, with the valve and the the gauge each threaded into a 1/4 NPT to G1/4 adapter, and the other is that Home Depot gas test gauge set that Cavey00 linked above attached to a tube with a Bitspower D plug at the other end so I can do a pressure leak test from any single port in a loop, and with the D-Plug on a tube it should let get to some tight spots if needed. Both sets cost me roughly the same, right around ~$30 in all, shipping included.

Hey, that looks very familiar ?
post #23 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 11:44 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 80 (Unique: 66)
Quote:

Well, got my new pressure test setup put together. Now I have my old two piece set that uses two ports, with the valve and the the gauge each threaded into a 1/4 NPT to G1/4 adapter, and the other is that Home Depot gas test gauge set that Cavey00 linked above attached to a tube with a Bitspower D plug at the other end so I can do a pressure leak test from any single port in a loop, and with the D-Plug on a tube it should let me easily get to some tight spots if needed. Both sets cost me roughly the same, right around ~$30 in all, shipping included.

Are the D links going to much pressure??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 12:09 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDad62 View Post

Are the D links going to much pressure??

I added the Bitspower D-Plug fitting because B Neg was using one in the OP of this thread and pointed out the advantage to using one ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by B NEGATIVE View Post

[...] I use a Bitspower d plug on the end as I can just screw on side on then push the unit into place rather than screwing the whole thing on. [...].

I've pumped it up to 10 psi and it's held there for the last 6 hours or so with no leak down at all.

I just liked the idea that I could just screw in the half of the D Plug into any port and push my tube into it and have my gauge be able to lay down facing me, as opposed to what I was going to do which was just have the barb fitting on that end of the tube and screw the whole thing into the loop by turning the whole assembly gauge and all, which will work for sure and would have been ~$10 cheaper, but my gauge might end up upside down or backwards like that so that [gasp!] I might have had to lift it and/or turn it over to look at it [The horror!]. I figured I could also just use a rotary fitting to solve that, but it still would have cost just as much & didn't seem as advantageous as just being able to screw in the D Plug fitting and plug my gauge assy into that.

It's a good test of that fitting with no liquid involved. If it continues to hold my air pressure and never leaks down then I'll continue to use it. If it ever does give me a fit I'll remove it. No biggie, but seeing as B Neg is using one for this purpose and has defended D Plugs before as not being leak prone in the Watercooling Club thread I don't really expect it to be an issue.
post #25 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 01:52 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 80 (Unique: 66)
Thanks for that mate They must be tougher than first thought biggrin.gif
post #26 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter
Hardware Rep

Rep: 789 (Unique: 492)
post #27 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 07:59 AM
Fusion is Future

Rep: 20 (Unique: 18)
Gonna use this for sure to test my 1st loop thumb.gif thx B neg biggrin.gif

Under Construction
(14 items)
CPU
i7 4770k
Motherboard
Evga z87 Stinger mITX
GPU
Evga gtx 980 sc acx
RAM
Crucial Ballstix Ellite 2x8gb 1866mhz
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 pro 512gb
Optical Drive
Nice joke bruh
Power Supply
SilverStone SX600-G
Cooling
Corsair h100i gtx
Case
Compact Splash #55
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Asus vs228
Keyboard
Poker 2 mx red
Mouse
Nixeus Revel black
Mouse
Steelseries Qck M
▲ hide details ▲
post #28 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 08:49 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 37 (Unique: 26)
Quote:

I edited one of your pics don't get mad!

you linked to this item at homedepot:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-3-4-in-x-1-2-in-Plastic-Barb-x-MPT-Adapter-A589/202257613?AID=11210757&PID=6146846&SID=i56xb8soex000kb5001rw&cm_mmc=CJ-_-6146846-_-11210757&cj=true

is this the brass fitting I pointed the green arrow to? I'm going to order this setup and want to make sure I'm getting everything I need.
post #29 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 02:53 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtocooling View Post

you linked to this item at homedepot:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-3-4-in-x-1-2-in-Plastic-Barb-x-MPT-Adapter-A589/202257613?AID=11210757&PID=6146846&SID=i56xb8soex000kb5001rw&cm_mmc=CJ-_-6146846-_-11210757&cj=true

is this the brass fitting I pointed the green arrow to? I'm going to order this setup and want to make sure I'm getting everything I need.

I used a brass 3/4" MPT x 1/2" Barb fitting that I got off ebay instead of that plastic fitting which was the only one I could find at home depot.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331432129036
That plastic one should be the same thing and work just as well. I just didn't mind spending a little bit more to have a metal one instead.

edit:
Also, on the other end I used a 1/2" G1/4 barb fitting, a female-to-female G1/4 fitting, and a Bitspower G1/4" D-Plug. I already had those except for the D-Plug. Like I wrote above, I went with the D-Plug for a bit of convenience but it would work just as well if I just had the barb fitting on the end by itself and I screwed the entire thing, gauge and all, into the loop instead.
post #30 of 437 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 09:25 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 5 (Unique: 5)
Quote:

Also, if/when comparing you might want to be careful with McMaster Carr's shipping. I've ordered from them several times myself and shipping was fast but not cheap and I didn't get a choice of shipping options or cost beforehand.

I thought this was strange too. I ordered two 12mm copper pipes from them. They shipped it out same day, like within hours of ordering, and then tacked on shipping & processed my payment.. NJ to RI only took a day and shipping was like 11 bucks. Overall not bad at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in