White silence, aka household radiator - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

White silence, aka household radiator

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 32 (Unique: 27)
Some time ago i came across this creature in manufacturers factory outlet:

And i bought myself a shorter one, WxHxD in cm: 20x40x60 (oh my! almost like a long matx case), also white on the outside.
A househould radiator... with a slight departure from the usually seen ones - it's actually made of copper and aluminium, and only copper has contact with water.
Inside it's more-or-less a double row of this (own pics will come later):

I've been using this for a couple of years as an external radiator with my fugly old desktop.
Works like a champ, tested to passively dissipate over 300W - max heat load from a Phenom II X4 955 + GTX680.
Ideally the only moving part inside my pc should be a pump, but due to lack of mosfet waterblocks i still needed 1 system fan.
Fortunately a single GT spinning below 1000rpm means effectively zero noise, even under full load.

Time came to upgrade my my rig, so i started searching for a case that would match the radiator nicely, and found a shot showing the right angle of NZXT S340:

Width and height will match nicely after lifting the radiator 5cm up from the floor, but shorter length of s340 means mounting the rad on top of the case could be a bad idea.
(plan b: they can simply stand beside each other)

So... should i order it, or does any1 have a better idea for a matching case? smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 06:19 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 160 (Unique: 125)
-A MB tray (lian-li or something or a repurposed "old" cheap atx case.
-MakerBeam / OpenBeam frame.
-ALu/steel/plexi/pvc (fake marble) panels

Reality is futile, you will be assimilated by (your) perception.

Golden Rule(s) for Fans: CHEAP + SILENT = NO PERFORMANCE ▼ CHEAP + PERFORMANCE = NOT SILENT ▼ SILENT + PERFORMANCE = NOT CHEAP
+Most SILENT Case Fans are not well suited for CPU-HS-Towers or Radiators
+Most SILENT Case Fans are not well suited for cases, especially if they have filters. (added by doyll on 23/04/2014)
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for the pointer, MakerBeam/OpenBeam seems like a really nice way to help with a scratchbuild, but it's currently way beyond my spare time capacity.

Need a bit of advice regarding motherboard choice.
I already have a Xeon E5-1650v3 that i want to use, so X99 is the way to go,
and i want the motherboard to be mostly black so it wont limit my color choices later on.

At first i opted for MSI X99S SLI PLUS, but according to:
https://www.overclock.net/t/1518458/x99-vrm-discussion-thread/20#post_23259172
there are mosfets on the back side of the board, so no easy way to watercool them.

Any1 knows if MSI X99A RAIDER has the same mosfets-on-the-back problem?

For now i narrowed down the choice to either:
a) MSI X99S MPOWER + EK-MOSFET MSI X99 MPower - Acetal+Nickel (3831109815427) - cheaper, but requiers repainting the chipset heatsink and covering the yellow lit audio-boost thingy
b) GIGABYTE GA-X99-UD5 + EK-FB KIT GA X99 (3831109821336) - more costly, but provides chipset cooling and no color problems

Any other choices i should consider in similar price range?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 09:50 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
WoW very nice radiator !! Would like to use something like this in the futur
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I've had nothing but good experience with older fanless Seasonic "gold" rated X-series,
and quite the opposite with the newer "platinium" series - coil buzz/whine every single f***in one (and i went thru something like five different 520W units).
One more 1000W Seasonic waiting to be tested, but I saw theese so cheap second-hand i couldnt pass it smile.gif

First one: Silentmaxx - basically the same as older silverstone "nightjar" fanless units, with a waterblock in place of the big flat heatsink.
and second: Enermax Noisetaker, modded nicely by some German company called EDVextrem.

Both around 500W, so enough for a single GPU setup,
both will need some work on cabling, non-modular - but in S340 it doesnt matter at all.

Main difference: waterblock material.
I know it's obviously better not to use alumiunium in the loop, so the question is:
Is any1 of you running a loop with aluminium with good results, if yes - what kind of coolant makes it possible?
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Build update: GA-X99-UD5 arrived,
specs say it's E-ATX, but it fits nicely in S340:

The only "problem" is that the top row of sata connectors gets blocked by the white bracket,
so either ill try to find a way to raise the bracket a bit, or leave it and simply use the lower row.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Still waiting for the waterblocks, apparently EK had some national holiday and is slowly recovering from the backlog
- at least thats what my shop is telling me.

So in the mean time i solved the slow M.2 slot problem of my motherboard smile.gif

As simple as it gets, also seems well built, and comes nicely packaged. Got if from a Chinese seller on ebay.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

A little build update: I've made the in/out ports for the external radiator.
The case has a small recess pressed in there, so the pass-thru adapters which i had did not fit right away,
fortunately thick 1/2" orings solved the fit issue nicely:

BTW: EK promised to ship my EK-FB KIT GA X99 this wednesday. It's already over 2 weeks since the order, I hope they actually do ship it this time.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 04:24 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
I want this case so bad! Good work with that! Can't wait to see more update on this project

Envoyé de mon klte en utilisant Tapatalk
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Tiny bit off-topic: it seems a 420mm rad on S340 is a suprisingly nice and easy match:

Of course this is not the target setup, just some fit-fun with a spare rad during the long wait for EK-FB kit to arrive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in