[Build Log] 'DownUnder' SMA8 Build - Déjà vu - Page 23 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[Build Log] 'DownUnder' SMA8 Build - Déjà vu

post #221 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 08:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 12 (Unique: 10)
Looks fantastic!

Question: I notice you don't have a rear exhaust fan. Was there not enough room behind the vertical tube or did you just not want one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #222 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 143 (Unique: 105)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Savage View Post

Looks fantastic!

Question: I notice you don't have a rear exhaust fan. Was there not enough room behind the vertical tube or did you just not want one?

I simply left that space open with no fan. A fan would fit, however IMO I think it would look out of place.

The system simply does not require a fan there as all the major heat producing components are liquid cooled - specifically the VRM section which can generate a reasonable amount of heat on the motherboard when overclocking.

The case is reasonably leaky as far as airflow is concerned and there is ample turbulent airflow over the motherboard and out through all the vents at the rear of the case as well as all the other gaps and openings. This is more than enough to keep other ancillary components well cooled while maintaining some positive air pressure inside the main section of the case (to help keep dust out).
post #223 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

OK - Some figures to ponder:

Total length of acrylic tubing runs in build - 2424mm - 16mm OD acrylic used throughout build

System coolant capacity - 4500mL [Coolant utilised - Tectaloy 60 Plus - Auto based glycol coolant]

Total number of Bitspower fittings utilised - 180

Flow figures for system:

Max Flow with 2x D5's @ 100% is just a tad over 1.4 GPM (Actual achieved is 1.43 GPM) - Yes, even with the relatively large amount of 90 degree fittings and other snake & elbow fittings this build utilises, it still manages to achieve an optimal flow rate.
To tell you the truth - it did surprise me a little in that we all read (scary rumours..rolleyes.gif) of 90 degree fittings being somewhat restrictive on the forums and to avoid them like the plague - yet not many actually measure this effect.
This build goes some way in solidifying Martin's original (Martins Liquid Lab) findings on testing the impact of 90 degree fittings where he generally found only minimal impact on flow rates.

Off the top of my head, here are some of the (what I would consider) best features of this build:

* Aesthetics - Primarily a personal chopice of course but I specifically stuck to accurate vertical and horizontal tubing runs while utilising the less commonly seen larger sized 16mm acrylic tube. Combined with the 'larger' elbow style (Bitspower L-Block) fittings it results in a strong 'industrial' style/look which is primarily what I was aiming for.

* One design feature that is not immediately obvious (but caused some head scratching with regards to eventual cable routing, overall GPU length etc) is that I offset both reservoirs as far left as possible which results in the RHS reservoir still being fully visible through the window with side door closed.

* Case holds 3x 560 radiators all set to intake fresh cool filtered air - no radiators using pre-heated airflow as an intake. To me this was an important design criteria as many builds have rads which intake using preheated air from another rad affecting the rad's overall cooling efficiency.

* Single loop design - Total 3x 560 radiator cooling capacity shared across all water cooled components.

* Acrylic tubing run out from GPUs is not run directly straight down through the midplate - This allows maximum flexibility for easy tubing re-arrangement of different video cards (specifically differing coolant port positioning on blocks).
No need to re-drill or reposition pass-throughs through the midplate.

The midplate is the most difficult panel to remove (requires total case disassembly) so I decided early on that the tubing run out from the second GPU would not be through the midplate but simply be offset and passed through the rear motherboard panel. I extended the very front horizontal lower tubing run (section connected to long vertical tube) so that it would simply match the lower GPU tubing run to maintain some form of symmetry.

* After modification (Bitspower Aquapipe addition), the Photon reservoirs IMO are now one of the best in class as far as bleeding and overall performance is concerned.
The fact that the inlet tube is on the bottom forcing air bubbles upwards working in conjunction with the internal deflection plate works extremely well in isolating incoming air bubbles from the outlet. Also due to their parallel configuration not only is overall restriction reduced, but the whole air bleeding process is now extremely short.

Now that the build is coming to a close I will capture some cooling performance stats and post them up at a later stage. However - so far, while overclocking and stress testing etc it has been awesome to have all that cooling reserve/capacity that the 3x 560 rads provide - while at the same time keeping the fans barely rotating @ 550rpm....thumb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #224 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 03:21 AM
Gamer

Rep: 106 (Unique: 64)
Hmm very interesting indeed. 180 fittings!? Good lord man.your flow rates makes me think i really need to put gpus in parallel. I get 1 gpm currently. We have extremely similar loops so i would expect closer numbers. Or.. my koolance flow meter isnt accurate and maybe contributing too much restriction.

mITX
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲
post #225 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 09:35 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 19 (Unique: 18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costas View Post

I thought it looks average - especially since I had to overexpose the rotameter to get the reservoirs looking somewhat ok...tongue.gif

Cannot seem to get the right colour with my DSLR or my phone. I suspect as the coolant is UV reactive it is playing games with the camera's sensor ability to get a decent reproduction.

It looks 100x better when looking at the PC.

When I get the UV light strips installed - I'll endeavour to spend some time setting up a decent shot or two of the complete layout all lit up - Might be a challenge to get the colours looking right as far as the camera is concerned...!

Try using a white balance card to get accurate colors and manual exposure, if you are using auto mode.

"Remember, never be afraid to try something new, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

4.7ghz
Firestrike
Build in Progress
post #226 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 02:03 PM
WaterCooler & Overclocker

Rep: 115 (Unique: 97)
That is quite the fittings list!

This is one of my favorite builds so far this year! thumb.gif

post #227 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodical View Post

Try using a white balance card to get accurate colors and manual exposure, if you are using auto mode.

Yeh, I do have a grey card for exposure setting etc however the the green given off by the UV reactive coolant is not reproduced correctly by my DSLR's sensor. Tried all sorts of white balancing tricks etc as well but to no avail...smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtuning View Post

Hmm very interesting indeed. 180 fittings!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefooter View Post

That is quite the fittings list!

This is one of my favorite builds so far this year! thumb.gif

Yeh, you wouldn't dream that there are that many fittings in the build - but sure enough I kept an accurate updated spreadsheet as I was installing each fitting - 180 is where its at...! ...and that did not include 6 or so Alphacool stop fittings I used on a couple of the spare rad ports which are not all that visible....smile.gif
post #228 of 267 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 05:38 AM
Gamer

And EK features your build on Facebook... congrats bud.

mITX
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲
post #229 of 267 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtuning View Post

And EK features your build on Facebook... congrats bud.

Thanks KG for the 'headsup' - Build must be half decent then....smile.gif
post #230 of 267 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 07:32 AM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costas View Post

Thanks KG for the 'headsup' - Build must be half decent then....smile.gif

Lol yes must be "half decent". You are way too humble.

mITX
(0 items)
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in