Why you should probably not buy a CLC cooler - Page 59 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Why you should probably not buy a CLC cooler

post #581 of 589 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I disagree with the discussion on leaks. I've had plenty of leaks over a 10+ year of watercooling with no permanent damage ever done.

I second your discussion on Galvanic Corrosion. The issue is that the anti-corrosive fluid needs to be replaced at an interval proportional to your usage of the computer as break down of the anti-corrosive properties is proportional to heat of the system.

The fact that most AIO's are not serviceable is my number one complaint. Evaporation and the need to service your anti-corrosive fluid in a system that doesn't allow servicing is about as dumb as you can get.

Asus Prime Z370, Intel 8700k @5.0Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB @3400 CL14, Watercooling: x2 MCP355 pumps, x1 280 on front of case, x1 360 on top of case, x1 140 on back of case, x1 240 on bottom of case
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #582 of 589 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:29 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1639 (Unique: 920)
Quote: Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
I disagree with the discussion on leaks. I've had plenty of leaks over a 10+ year of watercooling with no permanent damage ever done.

I second your discussion on Galvanic Corrosion. The issue is that the anti-corrosive fluid needs to be replaced at an interval proportional to your usage of the computer as break down of the anti-corrosive properties is proportional to heat of the system.

The fact that most AIO's are not serviceable is my number one complaint. Evaporation and the need to service your anti-corrosive fluid in a system that doesn't allow servicing is about as dumb as you can get.
Indeed, leaks are rarely the problem. To me the cost to performance is the biggest .. then it's their no provision to service as needed. That and usually costing more than an air cooler with similar cooling ability and not lasting as long is why I don't like CLCs.

I got a be quiet! Silent Loop 280 that's been in use sense they first came out with coolant being topped up after about 6 months and serviced it (flushed and replaced coolant) after 2 years. It's still running as good as the day I installed it. But it's not a C.osedLpppCooler, it's an All In One .. that makes a big difference. It has with threaded fittings, fill port, copper radiator, etc. .. all the things that associate it with custom loops not CLCs.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #583 of 589 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:51 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 381 (Unique: 262)
Quote: Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post
Mate, stop beating around the bush and list your case models, you're being ridiculous.
He has yet to contribute an actual fact to this forum. Why do you think he is going to start now? Like @shilka said, ignore the trolls. If you ignore them, they lose interest and move on.

Quote: Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post

Leaks are incredibly rare with CLCs. While it is a consideration if you want to get technical, it is the least of the reasons to avoid them.

And CLCs are not serviceable. Many AIOs are - Swiftech, EK, Alphacool, be quiet!, Fractal Design, Raijintek (hmmmm.....Raijintek kind of disproves my statement about leaks being rare) and a few others.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #584 of 589 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:22 AM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by poah View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by NewType88 View Post
Wait, now I wanna know what case @poah has ? Tell us, tell us, tell us !

which one - I have several in use. None can fit big 140mm fan air coolers. The one I'm on the now can't fit anything the OE cooler due to the proximity of the vertical graphics card mount. I really don't understand the requirment to know.
I didn’t know you refuse to share what your case is, and the reluctance to share what any of your cases are is very odd to me.

So what cases do you have in use as of this moment ?
post #585 of 589 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1639 (Unique: 920)
What ciarlatano said. CLC leaking is minimal risk, but does occasionally happen.

But I don't know of an air cooler ever having it's heatpipes leaking liquid out .. except for rare instance when user cuts one open.

Phanteks Owners Club Ways to Better Cooling
i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socketPhanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPUi7 980X
@ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #586 of 589 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
I didn’t know you refuse to share what your case is, and the reluctance to share what any of your cases are is very odd to me.

ones that don't fit big air coolers
post #587 of 589 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:19 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by poah View Post

ones that don't fit big air coolers [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
Probably because you’re using a 10 year old laptop and don’t actually own a pc.
post #588 of 589 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:59 PM
Senior OCN Member

Rep: 2720 (Unique: 1616)
Its obvious he is trolling when he wont give info of any sort and behaves the way he does
Unfortunately the mods cant remove him unless he breaks any actual rules and being obnoxious and annoying is not breaking any rules

Add him to your ignore list and you wont have to see his posts unless you click on them
Best feature on any forum is a block function and a forum without one sucks

Seravee
(32 items)
CPU
Intel Core I7 6850K
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
RAM
Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 8 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB
Hard Drive
Seagate Ironwolf Pro 12 TB
Hard Drive
WD Ultrastar DC HC530 14 TB
Optical Drive
LG CH12NS30
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt
Cooling
x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Case
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Monitor
Asus PG279Q
Monitor
LG 55C8 OLED TV
Keyboard
Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB
Mouse
Roccat Kone EMP
Mouse
Roccat Sense Metor
Audio
Sennheiser HD 598
Audio
Onkyo TX NR646
Audio
Dali Opticon Vokal
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 2
Audio
x2 Dali Opticon 1
Audio
Dali E12 F Subwoofer
Audio
Sennheiser HD-599
Other
CableMod E series PSU cable set
Other
CableMod LED Strips
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by shilka; 05-15-2019 at 03:03 PM.
post #589 of 589 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:21 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 3)
Probably because you’re using a 10 year old laptop and don’t actually own a pc.

got a 6 year old laptop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in