Tube Bending Insert Lubrication & Clean Up? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Tube Bending Insert Lubrication & Clean Up?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
MiRai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 47
Rep: 0
When it comes to bending hard tubing, I've tried to watch videos, as well as read forums, and I keep hearing/reading about using olive oil to lubricate the bending insert so that you can easily pull it out of the tube after you're done with a piece. Well, I have been test bending some pieces and using olive oil with the bending insert, and while it's been fantastic for keeping the insert from getting stuck, I just can't seem to completely clean the oil out of the tube properly.

After several rinses/washes with warm soapy water (even using the insert to assist with "scrubbing"), there is still a lot oil on the inside the tube, and I'm wondering... Is there is another lubricant that I should be using instead, or is there an easier way to clean this olive oil out of the tubing itself?

I am likely going to have a few pieces that are longer and have some slightly intricate bends, as well as using white tubing for the final build which is not see-through; whereas, the tubing I am doing my test bends with at the moment is see-through and I can easily notice that I still have oil to be removed from the inside of the tube. Unless, of course, olive oil doesn't adversely affect water temperature and water-cooling hardware?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
MiRai is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 06:11 AM
Not a Fan
 
GnarlyCharlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,646
Rep: 162 (Unique: 126)
I use dishwashing soap as lube and just wash the tube out after it's bent.

If winning were easy, losers would do it.

It's got Async Compute, it's got what plants crave!
War Pig
(12 items)
Death Bomb
(9 items)
X-Rig
(15 items)
CPU
i9-7980XE
Motherboard
Rampage VI Extreme Omega
GPU
2080Ti FE
RAM
G.Skill F4-3600C16Q2-64GTZSW
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro X4
Optical Drive
Pioneer BDR-209BDK
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2
Cooling
HW Labs Black Ice GTX 420-480-2X240
Cooling
EK Supremacy Evo CPU Heatkiller IV GPU
Cooling
2X PPCs Bitspower D5
Case
Corsair 900D
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU
I7-7700K De-lidded @ 5GHz
Motherboard
Asus Strix Z270i
GPU
Nvidia Titan Xp
RAM
G. Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2X Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2
Power Supply
SeaSonic X750
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO CPU. Titan Xp Full Cover w/Backplate, X-TOP Revo D5 PWM Pump, Res X3 110mm Res, HW Labs GTS 280 and GTS 240, Primochill Tubing & Revolver fittings
Case
Fractal Nano S
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU
I7-5960X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage V Extreme 1502
GPU
EVGA Titan X
GPU
EVGA Titan X
RAM
G.Skill F4-3000C15Q-32GRK
Hard Drive
Samsung SM951 M.2
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Optical Drive
Pioneer BDR-2209
Power Supply
EVGA 220-P2-1200-X1
Cooling
EKWB Blocks, Fans, and Pumps, Rads
Case
Corsair 550D
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro Retail
Monitor
BenQ BL3201PH
Keyboard
Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8
Mouse
Roccat Kone Pure Optical
▲ hide details ▲
GnarlyCharlie is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 06:18 AM
Overclocker
 
Edge0fsanity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Breckenridge, Co
Posts: 645
Rep: 33 (Unique: 26)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnarlyCharlie View Post

I use dishwashing soap as lube and just wash the tube out after it's bent.

same

Singularity Cases Spectre
Intel 9900k @ 5.2ghz 1.365v
Nvidia 2080 TI SLI @ 2130mhz
G.Skill Trident Z memory 2x8gb 4000mhz 16-17-17-28 1.45v
Gigabyte z390 Aorus Master Motherboard
EVGA 1200w P2 psu
Custom waterloop
Edge0fsanity is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
 
MiRai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 47
Rep: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnarlyCharlie View Post

I use dishwashing soap as lube and just wash the tube out after it's bent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge0fsanity View Post

same
Hmmm... Okay, well that sounds like a much better approach. smile.gif Is there any issue with the soap maybe absorbing into a heated (or over-heated) section of tube and creating any hazing? Not a concern of mine at the moment since, like I said above, the tubing I will be using will not be translucent, but perhaps in the future I'll be using a semi-transparent tube.

EDIT: Thanks, guys. I didn't want to bump the thread to say that. smile.gif
MiRai is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 08:42 AM
Not a Fan
 
GnarlyCharlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,646
Rep: 162 (Unique: 126)
I haven't had any trouble with hazing, but have only used it with PETG.

If winning were easy, losers would do it.

It's got Async Compute, it's got what plants crave!
War Pig
(12 items)
Death Bomb
(9 items)
X-Rig
(15 items)
CPU
i9-7980XE
Motherboard
Rampage VI Extreme Omega
GPU
2080Ti FE
RAM
G.Skill F4-3600C16Q2-64GTZSW
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro X4
Optical Drive
Pioneer BDR-209BDK
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2
Cooling
HW Labs Black Ice GTX 420-480-2X240
Cooling
EK Supremacy Evo CPU Heatkiller IV GPU
Cooling
2X PPCs Bitspower D5
Case
Corsair 900D
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU
I7-7700K De-lidded @ 5GHz
Motherboard
Asus Strix Z270i
GPU
Nvidia Titan Xp
RAM
G. Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Hard Drive
2X Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2
Power Supply
SeaSonic X750
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO CPU. Titan Xp Full Cover w/Backplate, X-TOP Revo D5 PWM Pump, Res X3 110mm Res, HW Labs GTS 280 and GTS 240, Primochill Tubing & Revolver fittings
Case
Fractal Nano S
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
CPU
I7-5960X
Motherboard
Asus Rampage V Extreme 1502
GPU
EVGA Titan X
GPU
EVGA Titan X
RAM
G.Skill F4-3000C15Q-32GRK
Hard Drive
Samsung SM951 M.2
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Optical Drive
Pioneer BDR-2209
Power Supply
EVGA 220-P2-1200-X1
Cooling
EKWB Blocks, Fans, and Pumps, Rads
Case
Corsair 550D
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro Retail
Monitor
BenQ BL3201PH
Keyboard
Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8
Mouse
Roccat Kone Pure Optical
▲ hide details ▲
GnarlyCharlie is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 09:00 AM
Overclocker
 
Edge0fsanity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Breckenridge, Co
Posts: 645
Rep: 33 (Unique: 26)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiRai View Post


Hmmm... Okay, well that sounds like a much better approach. smile.gif Is there any issue with the soap maybe absorbing into a heated (or over-heated) section of tube and creating any hazing? Not a concern of mine at the moment since, like I said above, the tubing I will be using will not be translucent, but perhaps in the future I'll be using a semi-transparent tube.

I've only noticed hazing from overheating the tube and i am using acrylic as well. I toss out any pieces that aren't perfect even though a bit of hazing likely doesn't matter for my loop since i use pastel fluid.

Singularity Cases Spectre
Intel 9900k @ 5.2ghz 1.365v
Nvidia 2080 TI SLI @ 2130mhz
G.Skill Trident Z memory 2x8gb 4000mhz 16-17-17-28 1.45v
Gigabyte z390 Aorus Master Motherboard
EVGA 1200w P2 psu
Custom waterloop
Edge0fsanity is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 01:18 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
Ypsylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 284
Rep: 29 (Unique: 23)
For cleaning you have the answer above. Remember - don't use alcohol of any kind. Still...

To be honest there shouldn't be any need to use oil or greasy substance inside. It clearly shows that tubing or silicon insert are not up to standard. Silicon cord as a material has enough lubricity for the job.

Bend so much EK tubes without need to clean anything (dust particles are flushed anyway) except exterior from my - not very - fat finger marks. Used silicon/rubber gloves but feeling of the tube is not the same. Important thing to remember is to keep silicon insert clean before job. It should slide gently inside without any forced moves. Common misconception is that insert has to be very tight. It doesn't, there has to be a little of air around it. As far I'm concerned EK tube-insert fit is perfect. I did some really crazy test bends like dual 360 circles around steel tube and cord with a bit of strong pull simply slided out.

As for hazing, using heat gun which is too powerful is not recommended. When you feel that tube start to sag a bit move it upwards. While PETG is reasonably resistant to overheating, PMMA is very prone to structural deformation. Better to heat it longer at a distance than closer and quicker.

From various articles and videos I know that Primochill and Monsoon are quirky buggers to say the least. Incompatibility of inserts and tubes between vendors is done on purpose.
Ypsylon is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 03:53 PM
Ladies, One at a Time
 
TheCautiousOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Maurice, Louisiana
Posts: 9,728
Rep: 311 (Unique: 188)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ypsylon View Post

For cleaning you have the answer above. Remember - don't use alcohol of any kind. Still...

To be honest there shouldn't be any need to use oil or greasy substance inside. It clearly shows that tubing or silicon insert are not up to standard. Silicon cord as a material has enough lubricity for the job.

Bend so much EK tubes without need to clean anything (dust particles are flushed anyway) except exterior from my - not very - fat finger marks. Used silicon/rubber gloves but feeling of the tube is not the same. Important thing to remember is to keep silicon insert clean before job. It should slide gently inside without any forced moves. Common misconception is that insert has to be very tight. It doesn't, there has to be a little of air around it. As far I'm concerned EK tube-insert fit is perfect. I did some really crazy test bends like dual 360 circles around steel tube and cord with a bit of strong pull simply slided out.

As for hazing, using heat gun which is too powerful is not recommended. When you feel that tube start to sag a bit move it upwards. While PETG is reasonably resistant to overheating, PMMA is very prone to structural deformation. Better to heat it longer at a distance than closer and quicker.

From various articles and videos I know that Primochill and Monsoon are quirky buggers to say the least. Incompatibility of inserts and tubes between vendors is done on purpose.

Completely agree, I have never used a lubricant when using a silicone insert. Nor have I had a problem removing them once the tube was bent.

Always have used acrylic, never PETG.

TCO
TheCautiousOne is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 02:21 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
mechanic2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Reedsburg, WI
Posts: 135
Rep: 6 (Unique: 4)
I use a soapy water mix. A nice high quality dish washing liquid and water works well. I like having the insert lubricated. The liquid also gives a visual indication of when the tubing is just starting to soften as the soapy water will start to boil. This is my opinion and it works well for me. I hope this helps.
Thanks,
rich!
mechanic2 is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 05:29 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
woahipo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 2
Rep: 0
From various articles and videos I know that Primochill and Monsoon are quirky buggers to say the least.49.gif
woahipo is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off