[BUILD LOG] Green Lantern -- Mercury S8 rebuild - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[BUILD LOG] Green Lantern -- Mercury S8 rebuild

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler
 
Deedaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,334
Rep: 88 (Unique: 72)
Been planning and working on this for a few months now so I guess it's about time for a log tongue.gif

I'm rebuilding the green lantern into an all white S8 case and changing the res configuration. I'll be doing hardlines for the first time and using the new Monsoon EV2 fittings. I also picked up a white 240 rad for the front but I'm not sure if I'll use both of my 360 rads or not, depends how tough tube routing will be and whether I decide to use the aurora booster... thinking.gif

Here's all the pics I've taken so far

S8 case from CaseLabs

Optimized by JPEGmini 3.13.0.8 0x114a45d6
Optimized by JPEGmini 3.13.0.8 0xdc5aba81

side by side with the x9

Optimized by JPEGmini 3.13.0.8 0xda041502

I had sleeved the original psu cables on the x9 and that left a lot of extra length that had to be hidden. I made a new custom length 24 pin cable with a slightly different color pattern. Still have to sleeve the pci/cpu cables in heatshrinkless with the new pattern.



Here is the new MMRS with white end caps



Bitfenix fan controller. Not a perfect color match but at least its white lol

Optimized by JPEGmini 3.13.0.8 0x8f16185d

I may get some flack for it, but I had to go with the Tt ring fans tongue.gif Nothing else fits the build aesthetics quite like these do. I did shorten all of the fan cables, resleeve them white, change the connectors to white, and removed the ugly stickers.


Optimized by JPEGmini 3.13.0.8 0x3bc9bd23


Optimized by JPEGmini 3.13.0.8 0x49a0c8ca

Optimized by JPEGmini 3.13.0.8 0x1284aae1
Optimized by JPEGmini 3.13.0.8 0x85171d01
Optimized by JPEGmini 3.13.0.8 0xd14ffaaf
Optimized by JPEGmini 3.13.0.8 0xd4d3b64c
Optimized by JPEGmini 3.13.0.8 0x6392dbcd


Deedaz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 12:46 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
AllGamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada, ON
Posts: 2,460
Rep: 63 (Unique: 55)
What's the height of the MMRS Tube you used in the front window?

100mm ?

Also if possible, can you roughly measure if 2 MMRS res can fit side by side (no gap) in the front window.

That's what I'm trying to do in my built, but if it doesn't work, then I'll need to choose 2 regular 60mm res from EK or Bits

Last time when @IT Diva did some measurements for me, there should be roughly 150mm panel space in the mid section, just barely enough to fit 2 MMRS

1 of each mount holes will basically be hanging out, one on each side, counting the hanging space is roughly 160mm space

according to specifications each MMRS mount is supposed to be 79mm each, or 158mm for 2 side by side

Current project Upside Down S8 built log
AllGamer is offline  
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler
 
Deedaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,334
Rep: 88 (Unique: 72)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGamer View Post

What's the height of the MMRS Tube you used in the front window?

100mm ?

Also if possible, can you roughly measure if 2 MMRS res can fit side by side (no gap) in the front window.

That's what I'm trying to do in my built, but if it doesn't work, then I'll need to choose 2 regular 60mm res from EK or Bits

Last time when @IT Diva did some measurements for me, there should be roughly 150mm panel space in the mid section, just barely enough to fit 2 MMRS

1 of each mount holes will basically be hanging out, one on each side, counting the hanging space is roughly 160mm space

according to specifications each MMRS mount is supposed to be 79mm each, or 158mm for 2 side by side

Its a 150mm tube. The res mount will hang over the cable routing hole but you could cut part of it off if you wanted to make it fit.


Deedaz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 01:26 PM
Old, Senile, and Happy
 
IT Diva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,905
Rep: 677 (Unique: 347)
IT Diva is offline  
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 08:32 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Radnad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,274
Rep: 178 (Unique: 134)
Radnad is offline  
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 08:46 PM
Old to Overclock.net
 
DerComissar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: B.C.
Posts: 3,219
Rep: 217 (Unique: 153)
I rather like white S8 builds as well!

It's looking great so far. All I'll say about switching from the X9 to the S8, is that justice has been served.tongue.gif
As for their fans, I have no problem with them, lol.

That Monsoon res looks really good showing through the front window, and so does the cable sleeving.
Nice glow effect to the lighting.

Good score on the white Bitfenix controller.
It is hard to find a white fan controller, or even a white faceplate for one.
You'd think that with the popularity of white cases these days, the manufacturers would clue in to that.

Good looking build, and build log.
Rep+
cheers.gif

CaseLabs S8 Build: S8 White w/Pedestal ~ i7 5775C Broadwell ~ ASUS Maximus VII Hero ~ Titan Xp SLI ~ GSkill Ripjaws X 2133 16GB ~ EVGA Supernova 1200 P2 ~ Acer Predator XB271HU ~ Ducky Shine 2 MX Brown w/Yellow Backlighting ~ Mucho WC parts waiting for the loop rebuild/upgrade......


DerComissar is offline  
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler
 
Deedaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,334
Rep: 88 (Unique: 72)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IT Diva View Post

Having both X9 builds and S8 builds, I couldn't pass up watching this adventure.

And being a sucker for a white S8 with window(s) and extended top, well, I just had to sub,




There was a lot of flap about how Tt copied Caselabs (presumably S8) when they came out with the X9's, but folks with both know there's really little in comparison.

Darlene

The first time I checked out CL, I thought they were mostly giant ugly server boxes, hadn't seen the mercury line. Never would have given them a second look had I not worked in the X9 and then saw all the stuff about them copying the CL cases. Once I started looking into the S8 I knew I had to have it tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerComissar View Post

I rather like white S8 builds as well!

It's looking great so far. All I'll say about switching from the X9 to the S8, is that justice has been served.tongue.gif
As for their fans, I have no problem with them, lol.

That Monsoon res looks really good showing through the front window, and so does the cable sleeving.
Nice glow effect to the lighting.

Good score on the white Bitfenix controller.
It is hard to find a white fan controller, or even a white faceplate for one.
You'd think that with the popularity of white cases these days, the manufacturers would clue in to that.

Good looking build, and build log.
Rep+
cheers.gif

I feel like the X9 gave me the experience I needed to do justice in the S8, especially with the custom cable lengths and sleeving. I was hoping to practice bending hardlines with a friends build I've been putting together from aliexpress. Cheap $250 hardline build, but the main components still aren't here and I'll have to dispute that transaction...kind of turned into a headache more than practice thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Glad to have you both here! thumb.gif

Also, I'm going to order the fittings with this etched into them. I'm thinking green fittings, white angled fittings and green plugs. Or should I go all white fittings?



Deedaz is offline  
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 06:55 AM
New to Overclock.net
 
AllGamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada, ON
Posts: 2,460
Rep: 63 (Unique: 55)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedaz View Post

The first time I checked out CL, I thought they were mostly giant ugly server boxes, hadn't seen the mercury line. Never would have given them a second look had I not worked in the X9 and then saw all the stuff about them copying the CL cases. Once I started looking into the S8 I knew I had to have it tongue.gif

That's exacty as I felt when I was looking for a bigger case for a good Water build.
I was tempted to get the X9, but then after reading comments from people about them copying CL, I started checking out the CL product line, and Wow! the moment I saw the S8, I knew that's what I was looking for.

The X9 while being great for most water application, it was still too smal for my taste, even if you double stacked them, it still not enough, and for the price they were asking, I'll rather have pay a littlle bit more for the real CL cases.
Aesthetically the X9 was not visually appealing, but the S8 it was an Auto Win hands down, it looked great, it's like looking into a Display Box, specially if you selected the Full window top. smile.gif


re: fittings

yup green with green lantern logo, combines well with your theme

Current project Upside Down S8 built log
AllGamer is offline  
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 08:05 AM
WaterCooler & Overclocker
 
Barefooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,315
Rep: 105 (Unique: 88)
Barefooter is offline  
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 12:29 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Radnad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,274
Rep: 178 (Unique: 134)
Radnad is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off