How to power 12+ fans/ Using an Aquaero 6 XT - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How to power 12+ fans/ Using an Aquaero 6 XT

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Hi all,

I am planning my first water cooled build and am most confused about how to power a large number of fans.

I am building in a Caselabs SMA8 using a 480mm radiator on top and a 560mm radiator in the lower chamber. I also plan on having 3 fans in front and 1 exhaust fan in the back. This brings the total number of fans to at least 12. They are spread out across the case, so I am not sure how to power them all. Does this mean I need a motherboard with 12 fan headers (one for each fan)?

The other question I have is regarding using an Aquaero. I have been recommended to use one in my water cooled build, but I am not clear exactly on what the value of an Aquaero is. I understand it is a fan controller, but why is it different than any other fan controller? Why is it so expensive? Also, if I use an Aquaero, can I use it to power my 12 fans? Or is it connected to the fans only to control them?

Sorry for these newbie questions, I am just really confused on powering and controlling multiple fans/using fan controllers. This is the part that I am most confused about going into my first water cooled build.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Mous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 08:37 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 101 (Unique: 65)
Hi there

Really depends on what or which one fans are you thinking to use but you can use SPLITTY9 which will allow you to use 9 fans on one header

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 08:43 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 171 (Unique: 125)
splitter cables.

Just divide the fans into groups and run each group off the fan headers on the Aquaero. You can easily run 4+ fans off each header on the Aquaero.

If you intend to individually control each fan with the aquaero software instead of the 3 or 4 groups, Aquaero sells a fan hub to add more fan headers. Power wise though, unless you are running deltas on full throttle or something, that's simply not necessary.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks a lot for your replies and help. Also for reference, I will be using either EK Vardar or EK Furious Vardar fans.

I am thinking I would split the fans as follows:

Group 1: 4 fans on top radiator
Group 2: 4 fans on radiator in bottom chamber
Group 3: 3 intake fans in front
Group 4: rear exhaust fan?

Would I need to use a SPLITTY9 for each group?
And if I use a SPLITTY9 fan splitter PCB for each fan group as jura11 suggested, how would I connect the SPLITTY9s to the Aquaero?

Also, since the SMA8 is a big case, how do I get the fan cables to reach all the way to the Aquaero (which will be mounted at the top drive bay)? Are there fan cable extensions that I have to buy?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Lastly, I have read that an Aquaero is indispensable for water cooling builds, but I do not know exactly why they are valuable.

Aside from controlling fans, what do Aquaeros offer? What makes them so important for water cooling? Why are they worth it?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:00 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouscous View Post

Thanks a lot for your replies and help. Also for reference, I will be using either EK Vardar or EK Furious Vardar fans.

I am thinking I would split the fans as follows:

Group 1: 4 fans on top radiator
Group 2: 4 fans on radiator in bottom chamber
Group 3: 3 intake fans in front
Group 4: rear exhaust fan?

Would I need to use a SPLITTY9 for each group?
And if I use a SPLITTY9 fan splitter PCB for each fan group as jura11 suggested, how would I connect the SPLITTY9s to the Aquaero?

Also, since the SMA8 is a big case, how do I get the fan cables to reach all the way to the Aquaero (which will be mounted at the top drive bay)? Are there fan cable extensions that I have to buy?

Hi there

If you are using same fans and same spec like are EK Vardar then I would suggest use SPLITTY9 for fans, I use 2* SPLITTY9, top radiator is fitted with 6* Phanteks PH-F120MP and bottom radiator is fitted with 4* EK Vardar F3 1850RPM plus 120mm radiator with EK Vardar F3 1850RPM

You don't need to use SPLITTY9 for each group but is up to you

SPLITTY9 is easy to connect, use Input on SPLITTY9 and plug this to AQ PWM channel or header

You can use any fan extensions, if you are using 4 pin then use 4 pin extension and if you are using 3 pin then use 3 pin extension

Why to use Aquaero on water cooling builds,in my case it will allows me to control all fans based on water delta T, great SW, I would suggest get water sensor and control fans based on yours water delta T and

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 171 (Unique: 125)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouscous View Post

Lastly, I have read that an Aquaero is indispensable for water cooling builds, but I do not know exactly why they are valuable.

Aside from controlling fans, what do Aquaeros offer? What makes them so important for water cooling? Why are they worth it?

There are extensions you can get for sure, try not to get them too long and don't get the cheapo ones. Over a longer distance (say 3 to 4 feet long) the voltage drop can start to become a problem getting your fans to spin up initially.

As for why an Aquaero: It's literally a one stop shop for any and every thing you could possibly want or need in a water cooling build. You can connect a coolant sensor, air temp sensor, flow rate sensor, your pump(s) and fans all to the Aquaero and set the flow rate and fan speeds to adjust to the temps of your hardware, coolant, ambient air, etc. etc.

This can all be done from the unit itself, but it also has software with it so you can easily control and set the curves from your desktop.

Basically you can tweak things to the most optimal temp/noise level that you want.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

1. Is the voltage drop due to the increased resistance over the longer wire?

2. Should I wait until I get my case, Aquaero, radiators and fans to install everything first so I can measure exactly how long I need the extensions before I buy them (so they are not too long)?

3. I also had a question about fan RPM: why would you not always get high RPM fans since you can just run them at lower RPM with a fan controller? Why cap the RPM your fans can run at? I ask because I want to get EK Vardar fans, but why should I consider the lower RPM versions over the Furious Vardar 3000RPM (120mm) and 2500RPM (140mm) fans?

Ok awesome. I really do think an Aquaero is a good idea, especially since this is my first custom loop build. Here is what the Aquaero 6 XT comes with:

- remote control aquaremote
- four temperature sensors, length approx. 70 cm
- one internal USB cable, length approx. 100 cm
- one connection cable for speed signal or aquabus
- manual
- mounting material for installation into a free extension bay

4. Is there anything else that I definitely need in addition to what comes with the Aquaero unit?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:20 PM
New to Overclock.net

Hi there

To yours questions:

1. Voltage drop this I have not seen in my case but I don't use too long extension, I use 50cm extension as most which seems is enough for my needs

2. Its easy to order extensions if you are really need

3. This is personal in many cases, like in my tried several fans and personally I like Noiseblocker fans or Phanteks PH-F120MP which do have nice sound signature, with Noiseblocker BlackSilent Fan XLP I could run these fans at 1000RPM as lowest speed which is for many people too much but they're been quiet at such speed like others are been in 1200-1300RPM,then Phanteks PH-F120MP which can be slow down to 500RPM and max speed on them is 1800RPM but in reality you will see 1600-1650RPM, usually I'm running my fans at 800-1000RPM during the idle, during the benching or stress testing or rendering or [email protected] then speeds go up or increase but this depends on water delta T not actual temperature of CPU or GPUs

You can choose any fans but you need to ask yourself if you want quiet or loud PC and do you like run fans faster or slower etc as some fans can be slow down to 500RPM and some just to 1000RPM, as first I would check their PWM range or at what RPM they start and where they ends and check Thermalbench.com for fans reviews

Regarding the EK Vardar fans not sure if I would recommend them I like their PWM range but I hate their whine noise in some range, mainly in 950-1200RPM or above 1400RPM maybe their newer range doesn't do that, hard to say there

4. I would definitely get Water temperature sensor, you can choose from several different makers like Phobya, Aquacomputer etc, I'm using Barrow temp sensor G1/4 which is plugged in free plug on my reservoir and if budget allows then I would suggest Aquacomputer Flow sensor which would be great too

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 04:45 PM
Linux Lobbyist

Rep: 0
Splitty9 all fans are the same specs. What if one fan dies the alarm won't work for the remaining fans except the "RPM" marked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in