Primochill FlexSX Sealing Problems - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Primochill FlexSX Sealing Problems

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
Can we add products yet?

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Primochill FlexSX Sealing Problems

On 10/10/2018 I bought six Primochill FlexSX 13mm ID 19mm OD fittings in Satin Black. The product page on my usual store's website said "PLEASE NOTE: The FlexSX range of compression fittings will only seal properly when used alongside the Primochill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing", so I bought 10 feet of the Primochill Primoflex Advanced LRT tubing 13mm ID 19mm OD in Crystal Clear.

When I tested the strength of the first seal there was an obvious problem as the tubing pulled out almost as easily as it would with no collar at all. I tested each of the fittings this way and got the same result. I tested again with a different piece of the same tubing (low probability, but at that point why not?) and had the same outcome.

I then went and managed to dig up some old EK fittings and XSPC tubing in the same size. While I was mindful of the warning on my store's site I tried the XSPC tubing, just to see if it would give a different result. It did not. I tried the EK fittings with the Primochill tubing and found they sealed perfectly, and they did so with the XSPC tubing too. To my mind the problem was confirmed as being the Primochill fittings, and it was as conclusive a result as I could test for.

I'm posting this thread with two aims:
1) That people read this and are very careful to test every seal in any build using these fittings
2) That people building new systems with these fittings will test one of them before opening the packaging of the others, so they can more easily obtain refunds.

I have nothing against Primochill, and I actually wound up using their tubing and coolant with Bitspower fittings in my final build. I might have just copped a bad batch of an otherwise good product, I don't know. I just thought this was worth sharing.

Working Name
(25 items)
CPU
Intel i7-8700K
Motherboard
MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
GPU
MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X 11GB
RAM
Corsair 16GB Kit DDR4 Vengeance RGB C15 3000MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe
Hard Drive
Seagate FireCuda
Power Supply
Corsair RM850i
Cooling
EK X-Res 140 Revo D5 PWM
Cooling
EK PE360
Cooling
EK Velocity RGB - Nickel + Acetal
Cooling
Bitspower CC5U Silver Shining Compression Fitting 1/2 ID 3/4 OD *6
Cooling
Bitspower 90-Degree Rotary Extender
Case
Cougar Conquer
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
Monitor
AOC Agon AG271QG
Keyboard
Corsair K70 RGB LUX
Mouse
Steelseries Rival 600
Mousepad
Razer Manticore
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR
Audio
Logitech Z906
Other
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS
Other
Thrustmaster MFD Cougar
Other
NaturalPoint Track IR 5 Ultra
Other
MFG Crosswind
Other
DSD Fight - FLT 2
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by Justinator; 10-28-2018 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Changed diameters to metric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 06:39 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 25)
I look to them when I search fittings but I hate such things Our fittings will fit only without tubes, and our radiator, as Koolance.
At the moment EK ACF Fitting look as one of most reliable. But I would be use Swiftech, Bitspower and XSPC without fear as well.
I really liked coolant BSPP but don't want to risk how they work with radiators.

My suggestion to you is sacrifice 50$ more and buy 6-8 Bitspower fittings.
I would do that instantly but Bitspower straight fittings in size 13/10 not look as others.
Base of fitting is wider than ring and because of that I don't want them... Barrow didn't make such mistake.

Bitspower 13/10

Bitspower 16/10

Mayhem Ultra Clear tubes are amazing.
They not make 11/8 size I would bought easy 11/8 Bitspower fittings and their tubes.
Not experiement with tubes at all any more and coolant. Mayhem Ultra Clear + X1.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
Can we add products yet?

Rep: 2 (Unique: 2)
Quote: Originally Posted by Vlada011 View Post
I look to them when I search fittings but I hate such things Our fittings will fit only without tubes, and our radiator, as Koolance.
At the moment EK ACF Fitting look as one of most reliable. But I would be use Swiftech, Bitspower and XSPC without fear as well.
I really liked coolant BSPP but don't want to risk how they work with radiators.

My suggestion to you is sacrifice 50$ more and buy 6-8 Bitspower fittings.
I would do that instantly but Bitspower straight fittings in size 13/10 not look as others.
Base of fitting is wider than ring and because of that I don't want them... Barrow didn't make such mistake.

Bitspower 13/10

Bitspower 16/10

Mayhem Ultra Clear tubes are amazing.
They not make 11/8 size I would bought easy 11/8 Bitspower fittings and their tubes.
Not experiement with tubes at all any more and coolant. Mayhem Ultra Clear + X1.
Thanks, I did wind up using Bitspower 13/19 and they are perfect so far. The sad thing is that the price of the Bitspower fittings and the Primochill ones was similar, but I initially went with Primochill because I believed it was sold more widely. I won’t be using that rationale again. Thanks for the other recommendations too 🙂

Working Name
(25 items)
CPU
Intel i7-8700K
Motherboard
MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
GPU
MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X 11GB
RAM
Corsair 16GB Kit DDR4 Vengeance RGB C15 3000MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe
Hard Drive
Seagate FireCuda
Power Supply
Corsair RM850i
Cooling
EK X-Res 140 Revo D5 PWM
Cooling
EK PE360
Cooling
EK Velocity RGB - Nickel + Acetal
Cooling
Bitspower CC5U Silver Shining Compression Fitting 1/2 ID 3/4 OD *6
Cooling
Bitspower 90-Degree Rotary Extender
Case
Cougar Conquer
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
Monitor
AOC Agon AG271QG
Keyboard
Corsair K70 RGB LUX
Mouse
Steelseries Rival 600
Mousepad
Razer Manticore
Audio
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR
Audio
Logitech Z906
Other
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS
Other
Thrustmaster MFD Cougar
Other
NaturalPoint Track IR 5 Ultra
Other
MFG Crosswind
Other
DSD Fight - FLT 2
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 05:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 25)
Bitspower Ultimate Shine Silver is best fitting series on market.
Worth of investment if you ask me I'm against paying clones but like I sad 13/10mm version have that small nasty detail.
I didn't know they had 10/8 and 11/8 fittings, look amazing, that series is even better than original.

But for every fitting you should use microfiber cloth if you want to keep them longer to look new.
And better tight him with finger and cloth. With hand without tool is not possible to tight him more and cause damage.
Only tubes in that size is limited to Tygon and Masterkleer, Koolance...

Reliability on first place and I look most recommendation and experience of other people are EK ACF and Bitspower, Koolance, Swiftech for long long time.
I would bought Koolance but can't deal with their BSPP version of G 1/4 and immediately when compatibility become limited district me from buying.
I can't chase and compare and look how they work with Black Ice Nemesis and EK radiators or etc...

These Bitspower 10/8 and 11/8 are half price of 13/10mm. Cost 44 euro 10 straight fittings.
Attached Images

Last edited by Vlada011; 10-30-2018 at 05:25 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 06:25 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Primochill FlexSX fittings are a fundamentally flawed design.
******buyers beware*****

Having the length of the barb shorter than the inside width (ID) of the tube means the fitting is incapable of fully supporting the connection.

Alas, if the barb is only slightly longer than the width of the tube you are still in the danger zone; the same properties that make flexible tube attractive to us can become difficulties with regards to sealing, because the *effective* ID of the tube increases when the hose is pulled in a direction other than straight out.

In my testing with mayhems ultra-clear:
- The fitting failed to hold its end of a horizonal 500mm loop of hose - While the hose was empty!!
- The sweet, sweet, toxic green collar that lured me to this product and is supposed to tighten the fitting is woefully ineffective. It provides little or no support, and is manufactured to a dangerously loose thread tolerance considering it is Aluminium.

Preventing water leaking from the loop and turning thousands of dollars into bitter regret should be the number one priority when designing a fitting, but it seems for Primochill this is not the case, their apparent 'patch' for this shonky design is to suggest users should use "advanced" LRT tubing.
Primochill, there's a reason we go for flexible tube - why do you approach the market with a product that requires out-of-standard sizing, with a stiffer formula of material, and still sucks?

I expect some users will have used them without Issue, but you should consider yourselves lucky and use the reprieve to replace the fittings as soon as you can (please just bin them rather than selling them on, those afflicted by the need to liquid cool have enough troubles )

Mods- how in humanity does my I'm_not_a_robot verification expire? You can throw scripts and cookies at me to track me across the internet, but not keep me verified to make one post if it takes longer than 45 seconds!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 01:29 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 4 (Unique: 4)
Soft tubing fittings leaking? is this really happening in 2019?
What's going on? 2 decades of research should have made things unbreakable by now.
I have their 3/8 ID 1/2 OD and have it installed in all kinds of directions and the cap is really tough to screw all the way in. I doubt it'll undo itself any time soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in