1000D: Help me build my first custom loop - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

1000D: Help me build my first custom loop

post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Quote: Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post
The Monsta was a great rad back when AC was a top name. HWL, XSPC, EK, etc have all pretty much passed them by. Quality is poor by today's standards and the Monsta needs a ridiculous amount of air to be efficient. You seem to keep forgetting that you want low fan speeds, or maybe you changed your mind on that?
Its not that i am changing my mind on the goal of silence with low rpms, I am just inexperienced and still learning. I thought the look of the giant Monsta looked good in the build and filled in the front of the case well, but after doing more reading it seems i honestly should go the route of thin rads like the 480GTS or RX480/GTX480
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 01:08 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 25 (Unique: 22)
Same boat as OP

@Storx first sorry to hijack I'm bout to change my build as I was planning on this since first built it 4 months ago.

Rig parts list.
1.i9 7980Xe
2.Asus Apex x299 w-Cpu Monoblock
3.64gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 3400mhz
4.Evga Super Nova 1500watt PSU
5.Amd Vega Frontier (AC)
6.Corsair 1000D

What I was looking at doing was having 2 480mm rads ontop for GPU+Block then a 3rd 420mm rad up front with 3 140mm fans.

Asked a few places for a list of the fittings I'd need if I'd require an additional pump how much tubing (soft) the reason behind 3rd rad was to hopefully keep the GPU a lil bit cooler as I'd get the Vega block from EK. And once this was all together it'd be my rig till DDR5 Pcie 5 and hopefully Ryzen 5x or 6x was out.

post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well i made the decision on the radiators, i came across a listing on ebay for the XSPC RX480 v3's, someone was selling 10 of them used, i offered $250 shipped for 4 of them and they agreed, i was assured they are in perfect condition with no bent fins. Just to good of a deal to pass up and they seem to perform nearly as good as the 480GTX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 02:03 PM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 404 (Unique: 271)
Quote: Originally Posted by Storx View Post
Well i made the decision on the radiators, i came across a listing on ebay for the XSPC RX480 v3's, someone was selling 10 of them used, i offered $250 shipped for 4 of them and they agreed, i was assured they are in perfect condition with no bent fins. Just to good of a deal to pass up and they seem to perform nearly as good as the 480GTX
Nice find, you'll be very happy with them.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

i need to research more on pumps and res, im thinking a D5 PWM pump/res combo for single loop... but not sure if that is the best, also very unsure which tube route im going, i have never done hard pipe (PETG) so may use high quality soft tube since the 1000D is very difficult to see the inside of the case due to how dark the glass is.. really have to open the glass door to see the loop, i am more about function over loops.
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well pulled the trigger on more parts, a forum member over on Corsair PM'd me that Performance PCS was running a 20% off deal with coupon code but it expires 12/25/18 @ midnight so last night just before midnight I purchased a handful of more parts for the build.

1 x EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 PWM Serial - (incl. 2x pump)
1 x EK-RES X3 250 Lite Reservoir
4 x Gelid PWM 1-to-4 Splitter
3 x EK-HDC Fitting 16mm - Black (6-pack)
5 x Barrow 16/12mm PETG Rigid HardTube (500mm) - Clear
1 x Bitspower Hard Tube Silicone Bending for ID 12MM - 1 meter

I decided after lots of reading on watercooling builds, to go with the Dual D5 setup by EK, read a lot of great reviews from it, many posted that running the pumps @ 0% on the PWM setting for both place the pumps @ 60% and they outflow/pressure a single D5 in a loop with no audible real noise from them, so liked the fact that i would have a redundant pump in case of 1 failing and as well the ability to run them at low rpms combined for silent operation and extended life of the pumps. Most recommend running the PWM curve at 0% from 0-85c, then ramp to 100% from 85-95c. This provides protection in case a pump fails or system trys to overheat.

Also i decided to tackle the art of Rigid Tube, i sat down and wrote out all the fittings i would need on just the 1 single system with the 4 rads, granted i have to wait for the top 8x120mm fan tray becomes available to mounts rads/fans up there.. but after pricing out the straights and 90's i would need to use soft tube in the system without sharp bends it came out to a super expensive amount, the 90 degree bends are just insanely expensive and i was planning on using them to combine the rads together and such, just was more than 50% less to go the PETG route with rigid tube and i bought lots of extra PETG tube so i could practice and have plenty for errors. The PETG tube was only $3 per 500mm. I bought the kits of 6 fittings, because it was the only ones i could find in stock, most of the black fittings in the cheaper prices were all out of stock and i should have enough to complete the entire system. I am going to try my best to learn to form the bends so i dont need 45/90 degree fittings on anything.

I bought the PWM extenders because they were very cheap and with having so many fans, i want to try and use just the single Commander that comes with the case, it comes with 6 fan headers, so each extender would allow me to control 4 fans, so if i put 16 fans on the front and 8 on the top i should be covered with the single commander pro...

I almost purchased the CPU block, but unsure if im going AMD/Intel in the near future yet since im waiting for CES 19 for the AMD 3000 series release info. I am either going AMD 3000 series or Intel 9900k possibly.

I still need to source GPU blocks, the only place i have found them available so far is through EK for $185 ea, little pricey since some of the RTX waterblocks are only $89 ea. I have dual EVGA 1080ti SC Blacks, EK says its compatible with its founders edition blocks, but none of the ones it said it was compatible with were available on Performance PC site that i could find, i still need to research the other block companies to see if they make any for the GPU's or i may be forced to purchase from EK on the GPU blocks.

The plan is to get the case this week, start assembling as much as i can, like fans, rads, pump layout just to see how all that goes, then i pay switch my current gaming rig setup over to the case and just run it on air tell i determine my route for the upgrade CPU in the near future. I still plan to use my old 3570k on a m-ITX motherboard in the system 2 slot since i already have the memory and cpu, just shopping for LGA 1155 m-ITX cases, have bidded on a few used ones on ebay for under $40, a new one runs around $90. If i score a deal on a m-ITX motherboard for the 3570k, i may install the current gaming rig in the system 2 area and just run it with a single GPU till i purchase the parts for the new gaming setup.

Last edited by Storx; 12-26-2018 at 01:28 PM.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

After some research i found out Heat Killer had GPU blocks compatible with my EVGA 1080ti SC Black cards, so i called up performance PC to see if they shipped my order, they had not and they allowed me to add the GPU blocks $100ea + GPU bridge, they also offered me a special rate on a heat killer cpu block $55 that works with my old 3570k, so went ahead and picked it up along with drain line hardware they recommended since they noticed i had basically ordered an entire system loop worth of parts, so i picked up a ball valve, coupling, and soft tube fitting along with 2 feet of tube to use for draining and filling.

2 x HEATKILLER® IV for TITAN X and EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
1 x Watercool GPU-X Dual-Link
1 x HEATKILLER® IV PRO LGA115x - Acetal Clean
1 x XSPC Ball Valve - Black
1 x Alphacool Double Nipple G1/4" Outer Thread to G1/4" Outer Thread Revolvable - Deep Black
1 x Barrowch Compression Fitting(ID3/8-OD1/2)Soft Tubing - Black
2 x Alphacool Tube AlphaTube HF 13/10 (3/8"ID-OD1/2") (per foot)
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well all of the parts from Performance PC showed up today, i am excited to start the build, really wishing i had everything already so i could start the build.... lol

The tube i order, i was thinking the tube would come in sets of 3, because the picture showed 3 tubes, but it turned out it was just a generic picture showing all 3 sizes that brand sells in a single picture after further looking at it. I am very unsure if the tube will be enough and actually starting to think about switching over to acrylic tube, been reading about PETG and how some people have had reactions (discoloration or fluid separation) with their PETG tubes with premixed fluids along with the number of additives that are not compatible with the material. After understanding the ordering of tube, i am thinking of playing with the PETG tube to practice and figure out some of the bends to gauge how much tube i would need for the repurchase of tube since Performance PC is kinda local to me and they can ship it same day if I order it first thing in the morning without extra shipping cost.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 08:20 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 55 (Unique: 51)
Quote: Originally Posted by Storx View Post
After some research i found out Heat Killer had GPU blocks compatible with my EVGA 1080ti SC Black cards, so i called up performance PC to see if they shipped my order, they had not and they allowed me to add the GPU blocks $100ea + GPU bridge, they also offered me a special rate on a heat killer cpu block $55 that works with my old 3570k, so went ahead and picked it up along with drain line hardware they recommended since they noticed i had basically ordered an entire system loop worth of parts, so i picked up a ball valve, coupling, and soft tube fitting along with 2 feet of tube to use for draining and filling.

2 x HEATKILLER® IV for TITAN X and EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
1 x Watercool GPU-X Dual-Link
1 x HEATKILLER® IV PRO LGA115x - Acetal Clean
1 x XSPC Ball Valve - Black
1 x Alphacool Double Nipple G1/4" Outer Thread to G1/4" Outer Thread Revolvable - Deep Black
1 x Barrowch Compression Fitting(ID3/8-OD1/2)Soft Tubing - Black
2 x Alphacool Tube AlphaTube HF 13/10 (3/8"ID-OD1/2") (per foot)

You'll be happy with those Heatkiller block. Amazing quality, quite a heft to it and personally - they look much better than the typical blocks you see.

As for pumps? D5. You have tons of space and they're easier to maintain. D5's are watercooled compared to DDC which needs a heatsink and airflow.

Gaming Rig: (2) Swiffy MCP35x, UT60 + GTX 480 rad, (1) 360 HWL GTX, (1) 240 HWL GTS, HK IV, 2920X @ 4.2 GHz, AsRock X399 Fatality, (2) NVidia 1080 w/ HK IV blocks, Gammix S11 Pro 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB, 2TB Samsung F4, (4) 3 TB & (2) 5 TB Toshiba HD, CL STH10, EVGA 1300 PSU, Win 10 Pro
HTPC Rig: 2600 @ 4.1Ghz, Asus Strix B450, D5 vario w/ EK top, 480 UT60, 240 HWL GTX, Asus 290 w/ XSPC WB 1000/1300, Crucial P1 500 GB, 12TB Ironwolf, 6TB & 8TB HGST, Enthoo Primo, EVGA G2 750, Win 10 Pro
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by Ironsmack View Post
You'll be happy with those Heatkiller block. Amazing quality, quite a heft to it and personally - they look much better than the typical blocks you see.

As for pumps? D5. You have tons of space and they're easier to maintain. D5's are watercooled compared to DDC which needs a heatsink and airflow.
Ya when i opened the boxes to take inventory i was amazed on the weight of the gpu blocks, just huge chunks of copper lol..... i bet ill be super happy with the new blocks once they are on water, ive been running the stock air coolers on the EVGA 1080ti SC blacks in SLI and been pretty impressed with these GPU's just on air, most of the time i dont even hit 80c with them in gaming, they been pushed pretty hard with my recent new monitor (PG27UQ) that i picked up off Amazon as used open box item missing the stand for $800. Mainly the reason i am wanting to do this over the top build is my gaming rig finally became bottlenecked by the CPU when i switched my main display from [email protected] to the new [email protected] monitor fabri-cobbling the monitor to a wall tv mount. The jump in res and hertz put the cpu load from previously 80-92% range to now trying to play a game in [email protected] the cpu is pegged to 100% and unplayable, so i have been itching to try out the new monitor at its native resolution soon. If i run it at [email protected] on low settings i can play some games on very very low settings and the cpu will sit around 96-98% load, but still stutters occasionally when it hits 100% load. fps are near the 140+ range, so the GPU's seem to have the potential, just bottlenecked by the CPU.

Also i picked up the following this week off Amazon...
1 x Petra's Tech Nuke PHN Concentrated Biocide
1 x 4pc 1000mm Thermaltake 12/16mm PETG tubing

I picked up the PHN version of nuke, because i was told by multiple people its compatabile with PETG tubing, so thinking ill run distilled water + PHN Nuke + Dish soap in the loop for coolant.

I also picked up the 4pc of 1000mm PETG tubing, after doing some brainstorming on tubing routes, figured at least 1 tube would be to short with the 500mm sections, so i am thinking the 1000mm would give me more options and they were listed on Amazon for $13.99 vs the $28.00 on Performance PC + shipping.

Last edited by Storx; 12-31-2018 at 02:01 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in