1000D: Help me build my first custom loop - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

1000D: Help me build my first custom loop

post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Well had some good and bad news the past week, more of the parts showed up i ordered for the build, but I had an issue with the Corsair 1000D i purchased off amazon as repackaged used part "Like New", when it arrived it was in an awkwardly huge box with lots of crushed areas on the box. When I opened the box the front glass section is loose from the frame on the bottom 2 mounts, just being supported by the top, appears they are held on by glue or epoxy. The back glass door has a nasty chip and scratch in the surface which does not wipe off and there are parts of the case missing that are needed for the build like 1 of the 2 doors for the cable management area are missing along with 4 nasty drilled holes in the case as if the case was mounted to something like maybe it was a floor display model. Just overall the case was in very poor shape between missing parts and scratches all over. Anyways I contacted Amazon about it since their definition of "like new" is clearly different from what mine is and they worked it out with me by shipping me a replacement NEW unopened as a replacement which should come Monday. I am glad we could work it out, just annoying that I have to tote this big thing to a UPS store to ship it back . It is extremely awkward in that repackaged box, very loose and moves around a lot inside the box, overall poor shipping packaging at 92lbs.

Last edited by Storx; 01-04-2019 at 04:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 04:58 AM
Overclocker in training

Rep: 33 (Unique: 25)
Hi,
lol that box barely fit in your car

CPU
i9-7900x With evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D
Operating System
win-7 pro & 10 pro
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
redragon
CPU
i7-5930k with evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000w P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
win-7 and 10 pro
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
SMOK Alien 220w
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-3mg
▲ hide details ▲
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Anyways, i started to play around with the placement of parts a little to see what i should do with the top radiators. I mounted 1 rad to the front bracket and quickly realized i cant mount it together with the halo installed, the thickness of the halo portion makes the screw end just short of exiting the fan, so unable to mount w/halo currently, but i did toss in 4 screws with a fan in place to see how it sits and noticed very quickly there is no way at all to mount the other 2 x rx 480's in the top. The radiator does not fit on the bracket due to the lips on the sides so the only way it would mount to the top bracket is in a pull configuration, but not exactly happy with that setup. Even with the fans attached in pull configuration, there is no room to run the front radiator with the fittings on the top due to the extra space it takes up, so you would be forced to run it with the fittings on the bottom, even then its will not clear by 1/8th of an inch.. Just no room for that thick radiator up top. So thinking i will order 2 x HW Labs 480GTS for the top and just use the nicer of the 4 rads in the system as they all 4 have a few bent fins, but overall seem in really good shape for used for $65/ea. Just have backups for now or maybe sell down the road.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well did some measurements, it seems i need a 34-35mm long screw since the radiator screws are 30mm to clear the halo's and mount into the radiator. Did a little searching and the only place i could find 6-32 x 35mm screws was by Phobya they are listed by pairs of 4 for $2.50/ea, so the 32 i would need would end up around $25 bucks. Did some searching on Amazon and found some 1-3/8 long ones which is just over 34mm long, so should do the trick for me. Went ahead and placed an order for them.

post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well after doing some thinking i am leaning more toward option 3, but wanted to get some input from the masses. Do you think its best to put all the rad inputs towards the front of the case to reduce chances of coolant leak damage in the future if it was ever to happen?

Option 1: This has the front rads with fittings faced down and top rad with the fittings in the back.

Option 2: This has the front rads with the fittings faced up and the top rad with the fittings in the back.

Option 3: This has the front rads with the fittings faced up and the top rad with the fittings in the front.

post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Went ahead and ordered I think is the remaining parts ill need to complete the entire water cooling system. Noticed that Performance PC had sent out a new years holiday coupon to me in an email because I was a previous customer, so I went ahead and did the order to assure I didn't lose out on the discount code and save a little.

1 x 1000ml Filling Bottle
2 x HW Labs 480GTS
10 x Barrow 90 degree rotary adapter fitting
1 x Bitspower T-Block triple G1/4 fitting
8 x Noctua NF-P12 redux-1300 PWM

I went ahead and ordered 10 of the 90 degree fittings, because after looking at the pictures a few of the fittings areas like on the rads are in very very cramped areas and figured the 90 degree fittings would make life easier running the tubing plus they were on sale for only $5ea, also a few others benefited from a 90 fitting, so decided to order what I needed plus 1 extra to make life easier since the pricing on them was reasonable to make tube bending easier on myself.

Also picked up a filler, because I don't see an easy way to add a filler anywhere except at the top of the coolant res, so decided to get a filler to make filling it in the case easier down the road, plus the chemicals I purchased to treat the system are based on 1L mixing, so got the larger 1L bottle to make it simpler to mix up fluids.

Also i picked up a T-Block, because i noticed the pump isnt going to be the lowest part in the system, so gonna T into the line going to the CPU 2
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well received more of the parts, started to play with the top rad setup and found that the HW Lab 480GTS don't actually mount like others had told me in the tray, comes to my attention that i had to flex them in, i truly hope that the bracket will work similarly on the front panel with the larger rads, will see when i get my next shipment of fans in the mail tomorrow... but ultimately unhappy with the fitment of the rad/fan setup on these fan trays.. just poorly designed.

post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I didn't like the idea of going push only on the fans for exhaust, so i spent some time with a precision file and notched the holes some so i could use the wider HW Labs 480GTS rad, i also bent the edges of the fan tray up to clear the edges of the radiator. This part didnt turn out as nice, as i was trying to use a pair of pliers with tape wraped around the teeth, but it isnt noticable really unless your looking directly at it. Plus the top tray will be buried up in the top with a view of the radiator only really. Im awaiting the rest of my fans to come in today, they were out of stock for a few weeks and just got around to sending me the rest of the ones i ordered, so when they come in ill start to tackle the front rads with hopes of using fans first will prevent me from having to mod them, i am so glad i managed to get an extra tray right before xmas, because this is giving me plenty to go while the rest of the parts come in the mail. Still awaiting the info on the Zen 2 launch info before i make a decision on the computer components going inside, for now im just working on the cooling system

post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well spent some more time on the parts the today, got the front rad setup assembled and did some test fitting, its tight but very do-able. Im thinking to make my life easier i should use extensions to get the tube out of the tight area on the top rad so i can access it easier to assemble. Based on just eyeballing it, it looks like i need like a 22-24mm extension to place it in the middle of the gap, then was thinking of using another extension to extend it pass the front rad.

Also going to post the pictures differently, had a few complaints that the pictures i posted were to small.

post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Had some progress on the build, lots of playing around with fittings for the correct needs, right now i just have the case sitting on my office floor running both pumps on just the radiator loop with distilled water w/ dawn dish soap..... Dummy me i spent the time cleaning out the XSPC rads when I got them in the mail, but completely forgot to clean the HW Labs upper rads until i already had all the fans and rads installed with partial loop installed, so decided to get some practice in bending tube and assemble a temp loop of just the rads, then run it for a day or so, then drain it and finish the loop.

The plan for now is to take my old gaming PC and transplant it into the case for now as i continue to shop for the m-ITX motherboard for it used. Then run it on the watercooled loop for a a few months tell the new Ryzen 3000 series are released. The recent release at CES19 along with new engineer samples popping up online of a 16 core variant with clocks of 4.8Ghz, want to wait out for those CPU's to come out and more than likely order one of them to complete the build in regards to the gamer rig.

As for the 2nd rig, just because the new CPU's im aiming to get has a potential of 16 cores with possibly 5.0Ghz plus, i may hold out on putting that system in the rig, since the rig should be able to do everything on its own with that powerful of a CPU, so when i made my last fittings order through performance PC, i ordered the AM4 bracket kit that allows me to use the heatkillers CPU block i already ordered on the AM4 platform also if i go that route.

The waterloop is soooooo quiet that i cant even hear it running with the side panel off the case while running... just silky quiet. Inserted video at the bottom, will include link to it here.. https://www.facebook.com/storxusmc/v...8419473727575/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in