1000D: Help me build my first custom loop - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

1000D: Help me build my first custom loop

post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
1000D: Help me build my first custom loop

Hello All,

I was starting to get more detailed in the items of a build i am planning out under another topic related to radiator thickness, I thought i would remake a new thread since the idea is beyond the radiators for the most part now...

The planned case is Corsair 1000D, the reasoning behind this is I want to run a 2 system setup for streaming and reuse the hardware i have in my current gaming rig as the 2nd system for streaming.

Current Gear Plan:

Case:
Corsair 1000D

Game System (Main system):

AMD 3000 series or 9900K depending on the release of new AMD CPU info at CES 2019
appropriate MB
2 x EVGA 1080ti SC Black (already own these)
Samsung M.2 500gb SSD (already own this)
EVGA 1000watt Titanium PSU (already own this)

Stream System (Old game rig):

i5 3570K
m-ITX MB (current shopping used market)
250gb sata SSD (already own this)
1tb WD HHD (already own this)

Cooling Loop:

I previously was gonna do 4x480mm rads since the case is capable of it, but after seeing another builder of a 9900K in the 1000D case he used 2x480mm rads and his system runs dead silent and decent temps he claims... So thinking to start with 2 x 480mm rads from the start....

2x 480mm Rads (still deciding between Hardware labs GTS480 or GTX480)
8x Noctua NF-P12 Relux PWM (Front of rads)
8x Phantek Halo RGB
8x Noctua NF-S12B Relux PWM (Top of case)
Fittins (Still researching this)
Tube: Thinking of trying hardpipe, slightly unsure still
CPU Blocks: was thinking EK for these
GPU Blocks: was thinking EK for these

Reasoning of building a dual system is im wanting to retire my old HAF X case, the fans are on their last legs ebing over 7 years old, so instead of replacing all the fans in it ontop of buying a 2nd case for the new rig, i thought it just be easier to just combine the 2 systems under a single case with all new fans

Last edited by Storx; 12-22-2018 at 04:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Another thought that just struck me, maybe i should go with the 2 rads on the top with just fans on the front for intake. Was reading about the XSPC RX480, seems like its far better than the HW Labs GTX480 @ below 800 rpms fan speeds

Last edited by Storx; 12-22-2018 at 06:22 AM.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Well i just pulled the trigger on the 1000D case, was googling the case to find other builds with the case and i saw it listed on Amazon under USED - Like New for $405, so jumped on it and ordered it with hopes that nothing is wrong with the case otherwise its going back.. also went ahead and ordered the Noctua fans through Noctua with the 10% deal i off slickdeals being today is the last day of the coupon deal. ordered all 16 fans, was going to order the fan tray from corsair also since its on sale for 50% off for xmas, went all the way to payment screen for it to tell me 0 in stock could not complete my order... sigh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 12:43 PM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 404 (Unique: 271)
Quote: Originally Posted by Storx View Post
Another thought that just struck me, maybe i should go with the 2 rads on the top with just fans on the front for intake. Was reading about the XSPC RX480, seems like its far better than the HW Labs GTX480 @ below 800 rpms fan speeds
So is the GTS. This was covered in the other thread. The GTX was really designed for higher fan speeds.

CPU Blocks: was thinking EK for these
GPU Blocks: was thinking EK for these
Having owned, or still own, blocks for current components from EK, Phanteks, Heatkiller and XSPC, I would absolutely put EK at the bottom of that list.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post
So is the GTS. This was covered in the other thread. The GTX was really designed for higher fan speeds.

Having owned, or still own, blocks for current components from EK, Phanteks, Heatkiller and XSPC, I would absolutely put EK at the bottom of that list.
Ya i get the GTX was designed for higher fan rpms, the website says mid 600's for the GTS and mid 800's for the GTX, but that link to the benchmarking showed the GTS performing far worse than the GTX at lower fan speeds with the XSPC beating it out.

In regards to the blocks, which company do you recommend in a tier list, i am very new to water cooling, so my knowledge of brand qualities are based of just minimal word of mouth and reading so far.

I currently own and use 2 x EVGA 1080ti SC Blacks in SLI on my current game rig, figured i would reuse them on the new build since RTX cards are incredibly expensive for what you get and i see very little reason to switch to RTX from the 1080ti's
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 09:22 PM

Blocks and food grade PVC/vinyl...don't need to even worry about bigger hoses 3/8''-1/2'' is fine. You can get all the hose you need cheap..and depending how nice of fittings you want, could spend there. You have Option's with the Pump's too.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 04:52 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Ya i get the GTX was designed for higher fan rpms, the website says mid 600's for the GTS and mid 800's for the GTX, but that link to the benchmarking showed the GTS performing far worse than the GTX at lower fan speeds with the XSPC beating it out.
Look at it again below. With the exception of the Thermalbench/TPU reviews (done by the same person), the GTS has performed better under 1300 rpm than the GTX in testing. I had the same results when I compared the two, and the GTX will make a bit more fan noise at lower speed due to the thicker design. The RX V3 is no slouch, and is also a good choice.

In regards to the blocks, which company do you recommend in a tier list, i am very new to water cooling, so my knowledge of brand qualities are based of just minimal word of mouth and reading so far.

I currently own and use 2 x EVGA 1080ti SC Blacks in SLI on my current game rig, figured i would reuse them on the new build since RTX cards are incredibly expensive for what you get and i see very little reason to switch to RTX from the 1080ti's
As a pair (GPU+CPU), it would likely be:

1. Heatkiller (highest quality and performance, but the look is not for some)
2. Phanteks (excellent quality, low restriction, and great built in LED system)
3. XSPC (Raystorm Pro is an excellent CPU block, GPU blocks are good.
4. EK (middling, overpriced, noticeable quality decline over the last few years)

post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Thanks for the info, i am really leaning toward a pair of XSPC RX480's mounted in the top, because after reviewing some builds i noticed many of the builds with very thick max capacity rads mounted in the top of the case and no rads in the front of the case usually ran cooler vs a few rigs i read about that ran rads both in the front and top of the case..

Pauls Hardware build
2x 480mm x 60mm (GPU Loop) FRONT
1x 420mm x 60mm (CPU Loop) TOP

Loop 420mm 46c MAX
Loop 480mm's 48c MAX

KitguruTech build
1x 480mm x 30mm (Main System CPU+GPU) FRONT
1x 480mm x 30mm (m-ITX System CPU) FRONT

Loop 480mm Main 55c MAX
Loop 480mm ITX 17c MAX

Hardware Unboxed build
2x 480mm x 60mm (Main) FRONT
1x 420mm x 60mm (m-ITX) TOP

Loop 420mm 41c MAX
Loop 480mm's 38c MAX

jdubs860 build
2x 480mm x 30mm (2xCPU+GPU) Top

Loop 480mm's 41c MAX
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

What is your opinion on the Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 480mm x86mm rads?

I ask because i came across a build with a Intel 7980xe + 2x Titan p's in the 1000D who used 2x480mm Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta's mounted in front of case push/pull and he claims max temps in his loop of 34c during gaming with fans set at silent rpm. This rad is basically the same price as the RX480 online...
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 07:59 AM
Shooting down fallacies

What is your opinion on the Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 480mm x86mm rads?

I ask because i came across a build with a Intel 7980xe + 2x Titan p's in the 1000D who used 2x480mm Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta's mounted in front of case push/pull and he claims max temps in his loop of 34c during gaming with fans set at silent rpm. This rad is basically the same price as the RX480 online...
The Monsta was a great rad back when AC was a top name. HWL, XSPC, EK, etc have all pretty much passed them by. Quality is poor by today's standards and the Monsta needs a ridiculous amount of air to be efficient. You seem to keep forgetting that you want low fan speeds, or maybe you changed your mind on that?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in