i7 5820k Overheating with a H115i - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

i7 5820k Overheating with a H115i

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Reddwarf45

i7 5820k Overheating with a H115i

Hello all

I have an i7 5820k in stock configuration, It used to be overclocked but high temperatures became an issue so i returned it to default settings. However my temperatures still climb into the 80s and high 70s when under a light load. I can't stress test it at all with programs as the temps immediately spike into the 90s .I got my h115i in 2016 and have generally had high temps in the 70s for most of its life.

I've replaced the thermal paste at least 6 times trying different methods and different pastes which never helped. I recently changed cases to improve airflow which has not helped at all.

Currently I have a push pull configuration to maximize airflow over the radiator but that has not helped either. Even with the pump in performance mode and the fans at 100% my CPU temps still climb into the high 70s and occasionally the 80s depending on the game. With the h115i temps getting into the low 50s.

My pump is always running in performance to keep idle temps around 55 C with the h115i temp reading about 38 c. around 3150 RPM

All other temps in my case are reading in the mid to low 30s at idle.

I opened the side of my case while it was on to poke around and the head of the radiator where the hoses enter was burning hot to the touch.

I think I need a new cooling solution? unless I've done something wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 07:01 PM
9 Cans of Ravioli
The Pook has a spectacular aura about The Pook has a spectacular aura about The Pook has a spectacular aura about The Pook has a spectacular aura about The Pook has a spectacular aura about The Pook has a spectacular aura about The Pook has a spectacular aura about The Pook has a spectacular aura about

If water temps are high then it's not a mounting issue because heat is making it into the water. So you can stop remounting

Push pull does nothing on the H115i, the fins aren't dense enough for there to be a benefit.

Do you have the problem on other coolers? Could be a badly concave/convex IHS, though unless you have insanely high ambients you're probably looking at an RMA. Even on an OCed 9900K with my pump and fans on low my water temp rarely tops 40c.

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.47%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
GeIL 16GB DDR4 3600
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Case
Phanteks P400S Glacier White
Monitor
Acer XF270HU
Monitor
Dell E2311H
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S
Mouse
Logitech G502
Mousepad
X-Ray XL 26" x 14"
Audio
SMSL SA50
Audio
FiiO E10K
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
Audio
Monoprice Modern Retro
Audio
AudioSource LS100
Audio
Polk Audio PSW111
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01 Outemu Browns
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by The Pook; 01-18-2019 at 08:30 PM. Reason: their -> there
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 08:16 PM
Overclocker in training
ThrashZone will become famous soon enough ThrashZone will become famous soon enough ThrashZone will become famous soon enough ThrashZone will become famous soon enough ThrashZone will become famous soon enough ThrashZone will become famous soon enough ThrashZone will become famous soon enough

Hi,
30 months is about all these aio's are good for
Fortunately 5 year warranty so start an rma of the 115

Get a nice air cooler the rma will last about 3-4 weeks likely.

CPU
i9-7900x With evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D
Operating System
win-7 pro & 10 pro
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
redragon
CPU
i7-5930k with evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000w P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
win-7 and 10 pro
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
SMOK Alien 220w
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-3mg
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Reddwarf45

I'm just a little hesitant to go with corsair again in case I have the same problem. I have been trying to find a decent other brand but nothing I look at gives me a definitive answer as to thermal performance.

Should I just stick with Corsair?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 08:18 PM
New to Overclock.net
white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by Reddwarf45 View Post
I'm just a little hesitant to go with corsair again in case I have the same problem. I have been trying to find a decent other brand but nothing I look at gives me a definitive answer as to thermal performance.

Should I just stick with Corsair?
They all use the same components with a few exceptions. None of them make CLCs they just put them together and add crap like rgb and a body kit.
RMA that one or use an air cooler if you want something that will last. Or build a loop, D5s can run for over 5 years, usually 8 to 10.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 08:23 PM
Retired Staff
JedixJarf is on a distinguished road JedixJarf is on a distinguished road JedixJarf is on a distinguished road JedixJarf is on a distinguished road

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 08:30 PM
New to Overclock.net
white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
I'm still wanting to see some performance figures on it. Also, out of stock.

If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 08:32 PM
Retired Staff
JedixJarf is on a distinguished road JedixJarf is on a distinguished road JedixJarf is on a distinguished road JedixJarf is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
I'm still wanting to see some performance figures on it. Also, out of stock.
I'd be surpised if the numbers weren't relatively the same as any other custom loop with a 280, and yeah, i don't think they have been stocked yet (didnt they first show it at CES last week?). Neat idea if you want real loop performance in a AIO-ish form factor.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 08:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

I'd be surpised if the numbers weren't relatively the same as any other custom loop with a 280, and yeah, i don't think they have been stocked yet (didnt they first show it at CES last week?). Neat idea if you want real loop performance in a AIO-ish form factor.
I was hoping it was on par with a loop and yes they were just recently announced.
It's crazy how much better a custom loop's 360 is compared to an AIOs performance of the same size.

Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 03:43 AM
Shooting down fallacies
ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by white owl View Post
I was hoping it was on par with a loop and yes they were just recently announced.
It's crazy how much better a custom loop's 360 is compared to an AIOs performance of the same size.
Performance should be great. Rad, pump and block have a proven track record of great performance. Unfortunately, the pump also has a reliability track record, and it isn't good - https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-w...-problems.html

AC initially said it would be a D5 in there, then opted for the 755 to cut down cost. Maybe having the 755 mated with a top and housing specifically made for it will help. But what if it doesn't? Will AC continue to use "not our problem" as a customer service model? If so, that's a big issue.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in