Best way to clean a radiator - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Best way to clean a radiator

Old 01-19-2019, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
DaniloFerracini

Best way to clean a radiator

Sorry for bad English

Hello, I'm going to set up my system during this month and I'm having a question regarding cleaning new radiators, but specifically the best way to do that.

My new radiators are:
-Magiccol 360mm G2 Slim
-Barrow Dabel 60a

In my research I arrived at the following "protocol":
- Fill a few times with warm distilled water half way, close, shake vigorously, drain the water, check to see if any debris has stopped;
-Fill the radiator with a mixture of 10% white vinegar and 90% distilled water by half, shake vigorously, complete the radiator with the mixture, leave it standing for about 10 minutes and drain the water;
- Fill the radiator once with distilled water and bicarbonate of sodium halfway, shake vigorously, complete the radiator with the mixture, leave it standing for about 10 minutes and drain the water;
- Fill a few times with distilled water half way, close, shake vigorously, drain the water, repeat;

Is this protocol correct? I ask this because my research was not conclusive, some people say to leave the radiator with vinegar for an entire night, others say that doing this can ruin the radiators.
I also did not find information on how long to let the baking soda act on the pH neutralization of the vinegar.

Anyway, any help is welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2019, 12:30 AM
Water Cooling "Wet Head"
rjb64 Level 1

My Rad cleaning routine every time I do a complete "strip down" w upgrades (last 5-6 yrs):
- rinse rads several times with a diluted mixture of extremely hot water and CLR solution followed by...
- rinse several times with tap water..followed by...
-rinse a few times with distilled water
- last rinse drain the rad out into a coffee filter to ensure no more "bits of stuff"
- stand the rads up on end with drain at the bottom and leave overnight

Thats it....then re-assemble and game on !!!! ....it really is that easy.....

.....I too used to be uber paranoid of all my WC;ing gear..ratios...vinegar...never introduce anything but distilled water yada yada yada....after 6 yrs of running a Custom Loop you start to learn to "filter" out all the myths.......as you grow confident in your WC'ing Loops

Dont waste Distilled water until your final rinses....hell I didnt have Distilled water on hand when I filled my loop a few months ago...used Natural Spring Water mixed with my EK Cryo Fuel Concentrate and guess what...my loop is running great with awesome temps and the Earth hasnt stopped spinning ...theres a lot of "paranoid myths" in the WC'ing world....!

9900K 5Ghz w EK Velocity / XSPC Photon Rez - Vario Pump Combo
MXIE w 32GB Platinum 3200
GTX 1080Ti SLi w FC EK Blocks / AX 1200i
Samsung 512G M.2 NVMe / Samsung 512G 860 Pro / Samsung 256G 860 Pro / WD 4 TB Red
Corsair 900D / 480*360*240 Rads - Dell Alienware 3440*1440p 120Hz
Timespy: 18.613K https://www.3dmark.com/spy/5538409
Firestrike Ex: 23.772K https://www.3dmark.com/fs/17562471

Last edited by rjb64; 01-20-2019 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:08 AM
Shooting down fallacies
ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by DaniloFerracini View Post
Hello, I'm going to set up my system during this month and I'm having a question regarding cleaning new radiators, but specifically the best way to do that.

My new radiators are:
-Magiccol 360mm G2 Slim
-Barrow Dabel 60a
Since the two rads in question don't have the best rep for being clean from the factory, you may want to skip the home remedies and use a Mayhems Blitz kit. Blitz is made specifically for thorough cleaning of new rads and will go a few steps further than vinegar/baking soda/citric acid/standing on your head and shaking it/etc. It is more costly, but with the investment you are making in the loop, it is a small price for a proper initial setup that will help longevity.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2019, 06:26 AM
Just hangin' out
Arctucas Level 1

I simply position the radiator at an angle in the kitchen sink, with the ports on top, so that the faucet runs directly into one of the ports, and the other port drains into the sink.

I turn on the HOT water, at a flow rate so that all water goes into the port, and let it run for at least ten minutes.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:56 AM
Water Cooling "Wet Head"
rjb64 Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by Arctucas View Post
I simply position the radiator at an angle in the kitchen sink, with the ports on top, so that the faucet runs directly into one of the ports, and the other port drains into the sink.

I turn on the HOT water, at a flow rate so that all water goes into the port, and let it run for at least ten minutes.
Great routine !!!!
I know another WC'ing enthusiasts that had a fitting made up for his garden hose that he attached to his rez.....opens his drain at the bottom of the loop and simply turns on the water at the hose faucet end (low flow rate) and lets it flush for an hour or so.........brilliant!!!!

I dont bother "flushing" a I always tear down and thoroughly clean pump...rez..rads...and disassemble Blocks to clean....although Im lazy and have let my loop go as long as 24 months without cleaning.....unless I notice my temps creeping up...

9900K 5Ghz w EK Velocity / XSPC Photon Rez - Vario Pump Combo
MXIE w 32GB Platinum 3200
GTX 1080Ti SLi w FC EK Blocks / AX 1200i
Samsung 512G M.2 NVMe / Samsung 512G 860 Pro / Samsung 256G 860 Pro / WD 4 TB Red
Corsair 900D / 480*360*240 Rads - Dell Alienware 3440*1440p 120Hz
Timespy: 18.613K https://www.3dmark.com/spy/5538409
Firestrike Ex: 23.772K https://www.3dmark.com/fs/17562471
Old 01-21-2019, 02:16 PM
Tetrapyloctomist
Aenra has a spectacular aura about Aenra has a spectacular aura about Aenra has a spectacular aura about Aenra has a spectacular aura about Aenra has a spectacular aura about Aenra has a spectacular aura about Aenra has a spectacular aura about Aenra has a spectacular aura about Aenra has a spectacular aura about Aenra has a spectacular aura about Aenra has a spectacular aura about

My experience is limited compared to that of others having posted here, but i'd stick with warm water (warm, not hot), mild pressure (mild, not high) and patience. Patience most of all. Extra bonus if you have or purchase non-compression fittings (just 2) and a bit of hose so that you seal the faucet to the rad's in; no need to worry about the out, nature will take care of that for you.
No vinegar, no chemicals whatsoever, and most certainly no Mayhem products.

All three for valid, scientific reasons. And i don't care what Mayhem says, they sell it, so they're gonna say what one expects (just like they've said wonderful stuff about other products they happen to sell and nevermind the issues). Nor do i care about what its users say, because they buy other.. things.. that most certainly entail lack of reason/maturity, so why would this choice in specific be a reasonable one?
On the contrary, some thorough google-ing might tip you in as to the how and why behind the "Blitz" kit.

As always though, your money
(if you do go with Blitz, rinse like you mean it; and then rinse some more)

Pride, honour and purity.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:52 AM
Overclocker in training
ThrashZone will become famous soon enough ThrashZone will become famous soon enough ThrashZone will become famous soon enough ThrashZone will become famous soon enough ThrashZone will become famous soon enough ThrashZone will become famous soon enough ThrashZone will become famous soon enough

Hi,
Yes blitz part 1 & 2 read carefully lots of chemicals you're adding to the rads.... that have to be thoroughly removed so it's a pain just reading it lol
Vinegar also is quite controversial both above is a full time job getting rid of what one adds to the system or parts

New system,
Personally I just flush with distilled water 3-4 times it's cheap until nothing appeared on the bottom of a white plastic bowl on my first couple builds along with flushing out all other parts pumps...
Added fluid.

Now I'm cleaning after 1.5 years and I'm trying dawn dish soap seems to do a good job so far someone posted they used it seemed too easy not to try
https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-w...l#post27813392

My reservoir was stained pretty good and it's spotless no sign of residue from the premix acid green fluid on it
I didn't leave it running 24 hours as the guy on the link above only about 4 hours just bled the air out as I would like leak testing repeated once more with less dawn.

Now I'm just running a couple drops of dawn and distilled water during regular computer use.
Probably do this for couple days and drain it and see what the soft tubing looks like it still had a hint of acid green left in it.
Cheap non toxic common products what could go wrong

CPU
i9-7900x With evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe
GPU
Titan Xp with copper Water Block
RAM
Trident Z 3600C16 4x8gb's
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Optical Drive
LG Blu-Ray WH16NS40
Power Supply
evga 1200P2
Cooling
2-280GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads with D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
corsair 450D
Operating System
win-7 pro & 10 pro
Monitor
ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G910 Orion spectrum
Mouse
redragon
CPU
i7-5930k with evo and koolance vrm water blocks
Motherboard
X99 Sabertooth
GPU
EVGA 1080ti FTW3 with Water block
RAM
Trident-Z 3200C14 4x8gb's
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 256gb for os and 500gb evo for favorite games plus other wd hdd's for data and backup's
Power Supply
EVGA 1000w P2
Cooling
2-240 GTX Black Ice Nemesis rads/ D5 pump-res combo and D5 top before and after rads.
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
win-7 and 10 pro
Monitor
AOC G2460PG 24"G-Sync 144Hz
Mouse
Red Dragon
Hard Drive
eLeaf MELO-3 4ml
Power Supply
SE US18650VTC6 3120mAh 30A 3.6V 18650 Li-ion Battery - GREENx4
Case
SMOK Alien 220w
Operating System
VapeWild RazzleBerry 50-50-3mg
▲ hide details ▲
Old 01-22-2019, 05:12 AM
Overclocker
Edge0fsanity Level 1

distilled white vinegar soak for a few hours
flush thoroughly with hot tap water, do a few shake and rinses to get the loose stuff out, there will be a lot of it.
setup small loop with a d5 pump and an inline filter, fill with distilled water and some baking soda. Let it run for 24 hours.
drain the temp loop
shake and rinse with hot tap water until rads are clean
follow with distilled flushing

This is the only method i've found to completely get rid of the crud inside dirty rads.

Flushing with hot water doesn't work
soaking with iso alcohol doesn't work
mayhems blitz pt 1 and 2 doesn't work
keurig descaler doesn't work

I had a very large loop in my last build, i've had to clean a lot of rads over the years. Every instance that i used the cleaning methods just above resulted in crap deposited in my tube, blocks, and res. The method at the top leaves my tube, res and blocks debris free over a year later.

I'd also like to mention that there is a misconception on certain brands being dirtier than others. This is entirely untrue as the construction process for radiators is the same across the board with the exception of a few(aquacomputer rads come to mind). The amount of dirt inside a rad comes down to your luck with that particular one. Don't buy into the myth that a particular brand will be less dirty. I would suggest ignoring anyone who makes these claims.

Singularity Cases Spectre
Intel 9900k @ 5.2ghz 1.365v
Nvidia 2080 TI SLI @ 2130mhz
G.Skill Trident Z memory 2x8gb 4000mhz 16-17-17-28 1.45v
Gigabyte z390 Aorus Master Motherboard
EVGA 1200w P2 psu
Custom waterloop

Last edited by Edge0fsanity; 01-22-2019 at 05:26 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:15 AM
New to Overclock.net
Zammin

Quote: Originally Posted by Edge0fsanity View Post
distilled white vinegar soak for a few hours
flush thoroughly with hot tap water, do a few shake and rinses to get the loose stuff out, there will be a lot of it.
setup small loop with a d5 pump and an inline filter, fill with distilled water and some baking soda. Let it run for 24 hours.
drain the temp loop
shake and rinse with hot tap water until rads are clean
follow with distilled flushing
Do you use 100% distilled white vinegar? Or do you mix it with water?

System Specs: Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic - ROG Maximus X Code - Watercooled Intel 8700k (5Ghz) - Watercooled Strix GTX 1080Ti OC (2050-2063Mhz) - G. Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz 32GB - Seasonic X-1050W PSU - Intel 600P NVME SSD
Old 01-22-2019, 07:45 AM
Overclocker
Edge0fsanity Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by Zammin View Post
Do you use 100% distilled white vinegar? Or do you mix it with water?
100% distilled white vinegar if i'm going to leave in there for 2-3 hours. 50/50 mix of vinegar and water if i'm going to let it sit overnight.

Singularity Cases Spectre
Intel 9900k @ 5.2ghz 1.365v
Nvidia 2080 TI SLI @ 2130mhz
G.Skill Trident Z memory 2x8gb 4000mhz 16-17-17-28 1.45v
Gigabyte z390 Aorus Master Motherboard
EVGA 1200w P2 psu
Custom waterloop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in