Water Cooling virgin spec check - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Water Cooling virgin spec check

post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 1 (Unique: 1)
Water Cooling virgin spec check

As the title suggests i'm in the process of buy and planning my first custom loop in my PC-O11 Dynamic case and i'd like a little help in deciding on parts.

So far the only thing i've ordered is a multipack of Barrow compression fittings from Aliexpress. They're gonna take a while to arrive so i have plenty of time to buy the other parts. For now i'll only be cooling my CPU as i haven't yet bought a graphics card worth getting a block for. I'd thought i'd list the parts i've decided on but i'm open to criticism/suggestions.

For pump/res i've settled on is the EK-XRES 140 REVO D5 PWM for £140. My question mark over this combo is whether or not i can attach a drain port to it?

For a radiator I was thinking of the EK-COOLSTREAM PE 360 for £77. I picked this simply because i fits my budget, i dont really know what i'm looking for in a radiator.

For a block I like the look of the EK-VELOCITY - NICKEL + PLEXI for £70. There's also the XSPC RAYSTORM PRO for £70 looks pretty damn good.

Adds up to roughly £290 and i'd like to stick to that number should any of you have any suggestions to the above list.

I'll be going with Mayhems soft tubing and X1 Clear pre-mix fluid.

I'd like to put together a air pressure system to leak test as described in this thread - https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-w...oop-101-a.html - and i'd really appreciate it someone could spec me up the components i'd need from UK sources. As i'm new water cooling all the mentions of valves and equal tee's and 1/4" BSPP this and 1/4" BSPP that is making my brain hurt. I did post in the thread asking for help but i've had nothing so far. I could buy a Dr Drop system but it seems pricey at £30?

Any and all help would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 05:23 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Rep: 404 (Unique: 271)
Quote: Originally Posted by Goooober View Post
As the title suggests i'm in the process of buy and planning my first custom loop in my PC-O11 Dynamic case and i'd like a little help in deciding on parts.

So far the only thing i've ordered is a multipack of Barrow compression fittings from Aliexpress. They're gonna take a while to arrive so i have plenty of time to buy the other parts. For now i'll only be cooling my CPU as i haven't yet bought a graphics card worth getting a block for. I'd thought i'd list the parts i've decided on but i'm open to criticism/suggestions.

For pump/res i've settled on is the EK-XRES 140 REVO D5 PWM for £140. My question mark over this combo is whether or not i can attach a drain port to it?

For a radiator I was thinking of the EK-COOLSTREAM PE 360 for £77. I picked this simply because i fits my budget, i dont really know what i'm looking for in a radiator.

For a block I like the look of the EK-VELOCITY - NICKEL + PLEXI for £70. There's also the XSPC RAYSTORM PRO for £70 looks pretty damn good.

Adds up to roughly £290 and i'd like to stick to that number should any of you have any suggestions to the above list.

I'll be going with Mayhems soft tubing and X1 Clear pre-mix fluid.

I'd like to put together a air pressure system to leak test as described in this thread - https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-w...oop-101-a.html - and i'd really appreciate it someone could spec me up the components i'd need from UK sources. As i'm new water cooling all the mentions of valves and equal tee's and 1/4" BSPP this and 1/4" BSPP that is making my brain hurt. I did post in the thread asking for help but i've had nothing so far. I could buy a Dr Drop system but it seems pricey at £30?

Any and all help would be most appreciated.

Thanks
A couple of things....

1. Having owned Monsoon, Heatkiller and XSPC Photons, the EK X-RES 140 REVO looks like a toy surprise from a Carckerjack box next to them. You can do far better for similar cost.
2. There aren't huge differences in top name CPU blocks these days, so if you like the look of the Velocity go for it. You will probably get a number of Heatkiller recs, with good reason - it's a much better made block than the EK, as are a number of others.
3. Good call on the X1 Clear. Tried and true with a longstanding track record.

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post
A couple of things....

1. Having owned Monsoon, Heatkiller and XSPC Photons, the EK X-RES 140 REVO looks like a toy surprise from a Carckerjack box next to them. You can do far better for similar cost.
2. There aren't huge differences in top name CPU blocks these days, so if you like the look of the Velocity go for it. You will probably get a number of Heatkiller recs, with good reason - it's a much better made block than the EK, as are a number of others.
3. Good call on the X1 Clear. Tried and true with a longstanding track record.
Thanks for replying, do you have any suggestions for a pump/res combo? I thought about an XSPC photon but they dont come with a D5 PWM. I had a look at Singularity Computers but they're just too expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:08 AM
Almost Canadian

Rep: 38 (Unique: 34)
Look at primochill they got some nice stuff
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:11 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Thanks for replying, do you have any suggestions for a pump/res combo? I thought about an XSPC photon but they dont come with a D5 PWM. I had a look at Singularity Computers but they're just too expensive.
I get really confused as to what sites service the UK. Where can you buy from?

Amazon UK does have a vendor with D% Photons in stock in both sizes - https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...xspc+photon+d5

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

I get really confused as to what sites service the UK. Where can you buy from?

Amazon UK does have a vendor with D% Photons in stock in both sizes - https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...xspc+photon+d5
I've mostly been looking on Overclockers.co.uk, Scan.co.uk, Amazon and Watercoolinguk.co.uk.

The problem I have with Photon pump/res is they only do the D5 Vario, not the D5 PWM.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:21 AM
Shooting down fallacies

I've mostly been looking on Overclockers.co.uk, Scan.co.uk, Amazon and Watercoolinguk.co.uk.

The problem I have with Photon pump/res is they only do the D5 Vario, not the D5 PWM.
Sorry about that....reading is fundamental.....I missed that they were only varios in stock. I'll take a look at those sites and see what I can turn up. I also know that Monsoon now has EU distribution, I'll see if i can find where.

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 07:13 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Overclockers.co.uk carries the Monsoon MMRS, you buy the pump separately and configure the res to your liking - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/confi...bu-003-mo.html
Watercool.de has the Heatkiller reservoirs with UK delivery, you buy the pump separately - http://shop.watercool.de/epages/Wate...C3%BCr%20D5%22

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Overclockers.co.uk carries the Monsoon MMRS, you buy the pump separately and configure the res to your liking - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/confi...bu-003-mo.html
Watercool.de has the Heatkiller reservoirs with UK delivery, you buy the pump separately - http://shop.watercool.de/epages/Wate...C3%BCr%20D5%22
Thanks a lot, i really appreciate it. Below is what I came up with based on budget and available stock - it comes to £140. I didn't really know what to select for the end caps or res mounts so i basically just guessed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chrome_vCFX1v1WZK.png
Views:	15
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	248774  

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 07:36 AM
Shooting down fallacies

Thanks a lot, i really appreciate it. Below is what I came up with based on budget and available stock - it comes to £140. I didn't really know what to select for the end caps or res mounts so i basically just guessed.
Looks good. But, with the triple port end cap you will need to plugs. Two ports get plugged, the other will be for the return from your loop. So, just add one more plug. Also, the plugs and tension rodscome in a multitude of colors if you wanted to do any type of accent color.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in