Planning 1st W/C Loop - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Planning 1st W/C Loop

Old 01-25-2019, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Wild Arms

Planning 1st W/C Loop

Trying to build a "no limits" pc. Been wanting a high end pc for 20+ years and can finally afford. Almost done with build just need to finish OC's and water cool loop. I plan to use the Der8aur direct die mount. My pc is currently running on air and Im in no rush. Aesthetics is not at all important. Reliability is my highest priority. I dont have a budget but would like to make smart choices with expensives (aka using the 5 200mm fans I already have) I live in investments properties I resell and usually have my pc in locked a well ventilated closet purposely out of sight of real estate agents, no one will see this pc day to day. Also everything I've come up with is on my own via web-surfing and videos. If Im wrong or my perspective build has flaws, feel free to tell me at any point. I've built pc's before and have spent alot time plumbing houses and working on heating. Hoping those skills transfer over a somewhat.

Planning on using a 400x200x85mm raidator. Now I get this is kinda a ridiculous oversized rad, but its far cheaper then other solutions and fits on top my case with 2 mount holes drilled. Its only 100$ and I already have 4 200mm fans for a push/pull set-up. There is the same rad in thinner 45/65mm sizes but they are more 30-40$ expensive from my search. So if the 85mm fits and doesn't have downside I would prefer to use it. Also I figure the bigger it is the less the fans need to spin. I know its ugly but I actually like the idea of my rad being outside or ontop of my case. Lest dust, easier maintenance, and better ventilation is what im hoping for. I plan to start with my CPU and maybe add my GPU to the loop later. I plan on buying the rad first and mounting it

So I guess my main questions with the rad would be whats the downside to the huge rad? Will it work for both the cpu and gpu? Do large rads have more pipes snaking back and forth, or is it just larger fins on the same size interior pipes?

My other w/c questions would be: Are pump/res combos worth it? If so which ones would most reliable? What is the best CPU block for the 9900k w/ direct die mount?

Phobya_Xtreme_400_Radiator_-_85mm_Version_2_-_Full_Copper - Rad I plan on using

Thermal Take Core x31 Case
Gigabyte Auros Extreme Z390 Mobo
i9990k
GSkill 4400mhz CL18 16gb Ram
2080ti FTW3
1tb NVME Samsung 970, 2x 500 gb Samsung 860, 2tb Samsung 860, 10 TB WD Gold, 4TB WD Gold
Noctua dh-15 air cooler

I would like to stick with my thermaltake x31 case for a variety of reasons. I like mid-towers due to moving frequently, dont care at all about aesthetics, and have fans/extra hardware specific to this case (200mm fans). Im open for suggestions on everything though.

Also my mobo is on RMA for full refund with 6 days left for me to decide. Its a gigabyte z390 extreme. Its working well but the "fan commander" is broken. They said they cant RMA just the fan commander so I would need to send in the entire board. There are other small problems with the software that kinda tick me off, but I really the backplate and other features. I would switch out for ASUS or MSI flagship if anyone thinks its worth it. I want to stick with a Flagship mobo because I really like the extra perks with the sound.

Thanks to Everyone in Advance!!!!!!!

Ill upload photos of my PC by tomorrow.

TLDR; Planning on using Phobya_Xtreme_400_Radiator_-_85mm_Version_2_-_Full_Copper to cool my 9900k with a 2080ti later on. Want to know if the rads larger size has downsides and the most reliable pump/res/fitting to use.

Last edited by Wild Arms; 01-25-2019 at 01:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2019, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Wild Arms

Also I plan to send my 9900k into Silicon Lottery to be delidded and liquid metal applied. I have delidded cpu's before but prefer not to do the solder. They have a process in which they remove solder without a razor. I can delid and remove their liquid metal later if the direct die mount compatible with my waterblock.

They also bin the cpu which I like because it gives me a good bar to judge my OC and my chips place in the silicone lottery.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:37 PM
EKWB Forum Rep
EKJake Level 1

One issue you may encounter is that larger fans do not always perform better for the radiator. The larger blade design affects things like static pressure, so it's not simply a more is better situation. I'd find some reviews comparing them to 140mm and 120mm variants if possible both for the rad and the fans.

I prefer combos because they're less hassle to deal with and use less space (usually). Most of the genuine D5 pumps (like ours) are basically the same. Pick a brand or design you prefer.

When you say "sound", what are you referring to on the flagship motherboards? Personally, I'm very fond of Asus stuff because of features and BIOS. I also enjoy their specific design styling.

As for fittings, just match fittings to the tubing to avoid issues. I think all of the reputable and established brands like us, BP, AC, PC, and Monsoon have reliable fitting designs.

EKWB Forum Rep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2019, 06:36 AM
New to Overclock.net
Shawnb99 Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by EKJake View Post

As for fittings, just match fittings to the tubing to avoid issues. I think all of the reputable and established brands like us, BP, AC, PC, and Monsoon have reliable fitting designs.

You’re supposed to say EK ones are the best, obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2019, 08:20 AM
Shooting down fallacies
ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by Shawnb99 View Post
You’re supposed to say EK ones are the best, obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With a straight face?

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
Old 01-30-2019, 12:59 PM
Water Cooling "Wet Head"
rjb64 Level 1

That almost sounds like a "Monsta" Rad.....that is extremely thick and I really do hope your planning a large case for it......mounting a huge (thick) rad can be challenging to have the lower Fan (you said push / pull clear the VRM's and other fittings on the top of the Board.
If your planning on running GPU / GPU's on same Loop consider multiple Rads (at least 2)...did I say to make sure you have a case large enough to comfortably fit not only rads...but the fittings.....

Personally the biggest reason I go with a Custom Loop is to cool my GPU's as they get extremely warm on air and loud!!!!

Building a custom loop in a Mid Size tower isnt impossible, but is challenging...particularly for your first WC'ing build......

Nothing wrong with a combo rez / pump....Ive been using an XSPC Photon combo with a D5 Vario pump for years....works great but again....you need the space to mount it.....

My Custom Loop isnt pretty (no hard lines), but very effective cooling and relatively easy to put together and maintain as I have a large case (Corsair 900D), I also run a think 480 rad up (65mm I think RX 480) top and a regular size 360 and 240 mm Rads down below.....
Im also running 15 Fans (at low speed 600RPM) all wired into a Lamptron 200W ( 4ch * 50W) Fan Controller....so the machine is fairly quiet....
For CPU Block and both GPU Blocks I go with EK all the way...always easy to install the GPU Blocks...shipping from Slovakia to Canada is painless and fast....

Link to my build:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...00K-1080Ti-SLi

Ive included a pic so you get an idea of what a "non pretty / polished" WC loop looks like (CPU and 2 x 1080Ti's) ......I also have this tower sitting on a platform with wheels...so can be easily moved around if need be.....
The Mobo is an E-ATX Asus Maximus XI Extreme....
Good luck with the build.....and welcome to the Wet Head club!!!!!

9900K 5Ghz w EK Velocity / XSPC Photon Rez - Vario Pump Combo
MXIE w 32GB Platinum 3200
GTX 1080Ti SLi w FC EK Blocks / AX 1200i
Samsung 512G M.2 NVMe / Samsung 512G 860 Pro / Samsung 256G 860 Pro / WD 4 TB Red
Corsair 900D / 480*360*240 Rads - Dell Alienware 3440*1440p 120Hz
Timespy: 18.613K https://www.3dmark.com/spy/5538409
Firestrike Ex: 23.772K https://www.3dmark.com/fs/17562471

Last edited by rjb64; 01-30-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:51 AM
EKWB Forum Rep
EKJake Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post
With a straight face?
Meh. I like our fittings. Our new ones coming out are definitely better though. However, fittings are way more purely aesthetic than say a waterblock or radiator or fan. I can't really blame someone for picking their favorite fitting based off looks alone, so if EK fittings aren't someone's favorite, it is what it is

EKWB Forum Rep
Old 02-05-2019, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
Wild Arms

Quote: Originally Posted by rjb64 View Post
That almost sounds like a "Monsta" Rad.....that is extremely thick and I really do hope your planning a large case for it......mounting a huge (thick) rad can be challenging to have the lower Fan (you said push / pull clear the VRM's and other fittings on the top of the Board.
If your planning on running GPU / GPU's on same Loop consider multiple Rads (at least 2)...did I say to make sure you have a case large enough to comfortably fit not only rads...but the fittings.....

Personally the biggest reason I go with a Custom Loop is to cool my GPU's as they get extremely warm on air and loud!!!!

Building a custom loop in a Mid Size tower isnt impossible, but is challenging...particularly for your first WC'ing build......

Nothing wrong with a combo rez / pump....Ive been using an XSPC Photon combo with a D5 Vario pump for years....works great but again....you need the space to mount it.....

My Custom Loop isnt pretty (no hard lines), but very effective cooling and relatively easy to put together and maintain as I have a large case (Corsair 900D), I also run a think 480 rad up (65mm I think RX 480) top and a regular size 360 and 240 mm Rads down below.....
Im also running 15 Fans (at low speed 600RPM) all wired into a Lamptron 200W ( 4ch * 50W) Fan Controller....so the machine is fairly quiet....
For CPU Block and both GPU Blocks I go with EK all the way...always easy to install the GPU Blocks...shipping from Slovakia to Canada is painless and fast....

Link to my build:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...00K-1080Ti-SLi

Ive included a pic so you get an idea of what a "non pretty / polished" WC loop looks like (CPU and 2 x 1080Ti's) ......I also have this tower sitting on a platform with wheels...so can be easily moved around if need be.....
The Mobo is an E-ATX Asus Maximus XI Extreme....
Good luck with the build.....and welcome to the Wet Head club!!!!!
Thanks for your response. I bought the 400x200x85mm rad and I semi-regret it. Im going to experiment. Building a system efficiently with the least resources is always better then over-estimating. But im not at that level and it was only about 50$ risk as I can probably sell it on Ebay half off. According to the company the 85mm static fan curve is the most efficient and only sells bad due to rumors and case sizes. When you take into consideration they are comparing it to their own rads then the motive to lie is not there. But who knows. I have 4 200mm fans so the full push pull set-up cost 110$ (rad+fans).

I may not mount but if I did it would be on top with fans below in case then obove on rad. One benfit I didnt notice till it arrived was this rad sits upright very easily. It looks kinda cool too. My case rests on its side with USB ports facing me. So I may drill 2 holes in the front bay and use quick connects. Figured its best for cooling too as it gets fresh unrestricted air flow with no heat from the case. Also dust and handling. I dont move my pc often but having quick connects would make moving it in two parts simple. It would at most add 24 inchs total to the run to not mount it.

As far the mid-atx case, I love it. I have a e-atx board, 4 ssd, 2 hdds, 1200w PSU, 3 slot card, and a noctua dh-15. I had the v-71 and people noticed it in not a good way. Once a landlord wanted to charge me 200$ month extra due to it, I actually refused and ended up moving soon after. Its easier to move and thermals are actually better, less dead space and air pockets.

I have every fan slot filled with all but the back on intake. The case is really deep so i was able to put 3x40mm noctua fans on the side of pci brackets right behind the front panel as extra exhaust. The 2x200mm on top as intake really help with cooling. I used to have them as exhaust and it lowered load temp by 20c switching to intake. Its like inches from the noctua nh-15 so it hits the entire side and feeds fresh air to the two 140mm on the cooler. Actually the worst part of my water cooling loop is disassembling my air system

On 40%-60% fan speed my 9900k runs 4.9 with my 2080ti @ 2120. Both hover around 70c under load.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in