Swiftech H220X Leaking Disaster. Couple Questions. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Swiftech H220X Leaking Disaster. Couple Questions.

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 12)
Swiftech H220X Leaking Disaster. Couple Questions.

I use an H220X in my Micro-ITX HTCP. My PC froze on me while I was eating dinner. I looked inside my PC and noticed the pump stopped, which was clearly the culprit. I waited a few minutes and power my PC back on. All was well...until it froze again. I tried to power it back on and it kept freezing. I looked inside my PC and now there was water all over my motherboard (in my setup the mobo lays flat with the pump directly above). Just great. I took everything apart and my 1080 Ti is fine thankfully.

1) Is it worth trying to see if the motherboard and/or CPU are still usable?

If there's a chance either of them are salvageable, then I would likely just try to replace what's needed and move forward. I would hate to buy replacement parts just to find out the CPU or Mobo still worked. But if there's little chance for either of them considering I repeatedly attempted to boot the PC with distilled water sitting on the mobo - I might just go for a different form factor, case, and mobo socket altogether. Honestly it's difficult to determine the next path forward but I'm tempted to first try to dry everything off and try again with new cooling (not sure which yet). If it doesn't work then I think I should replace the mobo, and if that doesn't work then maybe the CPU? I will probably sleep on it.

2) Are there any quality, reliable dual 120mm open-loop AIO coolers similar to what I have? I can't do Swiftech anymore. When they work, the coolers are great - but when they don't... it's a disaster. And both of my Swiftech coolers (H240 and H220X2) have had pump issues, splitter issues, and leaking issues. A brief peak around product reviews and threads go to show a high volume of issues. So while they get golden professional reviews, they're basically ticking time-bombs for consumers due to poor QC. I'm done with them but my micro build needs a comparable cooling option.

As I mentioned, I've experienced leaks with Swiftech before and have gotten liquid on the GPU and mobo before. The difference then is that I turned the PC off and it didn't freeze. I don't know if that means there's a complete 0% chance of survival or what. From my experience all my PC parts have been a lot more resilient than I would have initially thought, but of course I realize that doesn't mean they're indestructible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 06:55 AM
Meep

Rep: 287 (Unique: 214)
Considering it froze multiple times after getting liquid on it, that's probably bad news.

It might still be salvageable tho,
  • Disconnect any power source asap.
  • Get everything out of the case.
  • Disassemble everything that got wet, take the heatsinks of the motherboard too.
  • Dry everything off.
  • Rinse with the highest alcohol content isopropyl alcohol you can get.
  • Let it all dry in a dry warm place.

That what I do when I get a spill on electronics.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 13 (Unique: 12)
Quote: Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post
Considering it froze multiple times after getting liquid on it, that's probably bad news.

It might still be salvageable tho,
  • Disconnect any power source asap.
  • Get everything out of the case.
  • Disassemble everything that got wet, take the heatsinks of the motherboard too.
  • Dry everything off.
  • Rinse with the highest alcohol content isopropyl alcohol you can get.
  • Let it all dry in a dry warm place.

That what I do when I get a spill on electronics.
Thank you.

I blasted off as much moisture as I could with my Datavac duster and it's drying right now. I'm going to be patient and order a cheap fan, so I can just figure out what I need to replace and then I can worry about my final cooling replacement after the important stuff.

Edit: There's a possibility my cooler is still under warranty. I ordered a Noctua ITX fan to do testing temporarily. If I can get a refurb through warranty, I suppose that would suffice for now, because I haven't found a great alternative so far.

EDIT 2:

For anyone who's curious, here's how this ended. I dried everything off and tried to re-assemble. One of the backplate's socketed screws, that which secures the waterblock to the motherboard, was stuck in the mobo. While attempting to get the screw out, I bent a couple of the pins which would go into the CPU. Now I'm looking for motherboard+CPU replacements.

Last edited by t1337dude; 01-30-2019 at 11:25 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in