Trying to get 2x D5's to run from a CTR-CD1224. - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Trying to get 2x D5's to run from a CTR-CD1224.

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter
Smug, Jaded, Enervated.

Rep: 94 (Unique: 60)
Trying to get 2x D5's to run from a CTR-CD1224.

As the title suggests, I am trying to figure out how to go about, getting two D5 Strong's, to run off of the one Koolance CTR-CD1224.

I am trying to avoid buying another CTR-CD1224, as they aren't cheap, nor easy to come by, and was wondering if there was a way I could daisy chain the two pumps to be controlled from the one controller, and use a separate 24V power input for the second D5 (The D5's will run in serial in a RP-452X2).

Will i simply be able to split the two rpm signals and run them into the controller, and then have a second 24V power source powering the second pump? Or is it going to be more complex than that?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Forever a WIP.
(15 items)
CPU
2700X (XFR2/PBO @ 4.25Ghz ).
Motherboard
Asus CH7 Wifi.
GPU
GTX 1080Ti w/ Raijintek Morpheus.
RAM
G.Skill Flare-X 16GB 3200C14 (Running @ 3466Mhz C15).
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (OS), Seagate Ironwolf Pro 6TB (250GB SSD partition+2GB Ram StoreMI setup), Kingston UV400 500GB SSD (half partitioned).
Power Supply
Silverstone Strider Gold 850W ST85F-GS.
Cooling
Stock cooling....(Custom loop build in progress).
Case
Silverstone TJ11 (Custom loop project)..currently in Lian Li V2000 Plus.
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro N.
Monitor
Catleap Yamakasi Q270B @ 110Hz.
Keyboard
Steelseries 6Gv2.
Mouse
Zowie EC2-A.
Mousepad
Puretrak Talent.
Audio
Burson Play, Monoprice Monolith M1060C, Rode NTA1 (With Rode arm), Behringer PS400.
Other
2060mm of radiators stuffed inside/outside a TJ11 in the works + 2x D5 strong, Koolance RP-452X2, Koolance CTR-CD1224, blocks, fittings etc etc...
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 11:27 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 71 (Unique: 55)
that controller is a voltage controller, and it does not have enough wattage capability to run two pumps. you could run one pump with the controller at 24 volts, and run the second pump at 12 volts with the PC power supply. this will not cause issues with your flow rate, the flow rate will still increase with the addition of the second pump at 12 volts. this way if you see a need for it you can get a second controller later. I have a water loop with two D5 water pumps at 12 volts and one D5 strong at 24 volts, this works fine on my setup.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/62-p...c-cooling.html

https://www.overclock.net/forum/rigbu...tle=AMD+AM3%2B
AMD AM3+
(13 items)
TEC Power
(21 items)
CPU
FX9590
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth 990FX
GPU
GTX580
RAM
Samsung 1600
Hard Drive
Intel 520 SSD 120Gigs
Optical Drive
DVD
Power Supply
Enermax 1350
Cooling
water cooled
Monitor
Asus 27"
Keyboard
microsoft ergo
Mouse
RAT 9
Mousepad
steel series
Audio
ZX 7
CPU
Motherboard
DX79SR
GPU
GTX580
RAM
G skill 2133Mhz
Hard Drive
Intel 3700
Optical Drive
Asus
Power Supply
OCZ 1250W, TT 600W, PowerMax 4 X 500W
Cooling
9 X TEC's 250W 15A 24V
Cooling
Standard Water cooling to cool the TEC's 6 X 360mm radiators
Cooling
19 X CPU water blocks
Cooling
2 X GTX580 GPU water blocks
Cooling
6 X water pumps
Cooling
3 X CPU air coolers
Case
Coustom PC case inside a vacuum chamber
Operating System
Windows 7
Monitor
Dell 30" ultra sharp
Keyboard
Blackwidow
Mouse
RAT 9
Mouse
Gaming Pad
Audio
2.1 sound
Audio
G930 head set
CPU
Intel i7 3930K
Motherboard
Intel DX79SR
GPU
GTX580
RAM
G-Skill
Hard Drive
Intel 3700
Optical Drive
Asus DVD
Power Supply
1250W
Cooling
Water Cooled
Case
H2OQPower
Operating System
Win7
Monitor
Asus
Keyboard
Razer
Mouse
R.A.T.9
▲ hide details ▲
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter
Smug, Jaded, Enervated.

What if I used one of these for the second pump http://www.performance-pcs.com/ppcs-...Specifications, and a y-splitter for the 3pin connector of both pumps going into the controller, would that get the job done?

Forever a WIP.
(15 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Asus CH7 Wifi.
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (OS), Seagate Ironwolf Pro 6TB (250GB SSD partition+2GB Ram StoreMI setup), Kingston UV400 500GB SSD (half partitioned).
Power Supply
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro N.
Monitor
Keyboard
Steelseries 6Gv2.
Mouse
Zowie EC2-A.
Mousepad
Puretrak Talent.
Audio
Burson Play, Monoprice Monolith M1060C, Rode NTA1 (With Rode arm), Behringer PS400.
Other
2060mm of radiators stuffed inside/outside a TJ11 in the works + 2x D5 strong, Koolance RP-452X2, Koolance CTR-CD1224, blocks, fittings etc etc...
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 11:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 276 (Unique: 245)
Measure the -12v line on your 24 pin ATX connector. If it has -12, you can replace the ground on the pump for 24v.

I ran 2 d5 strong in a koolance dual bay for about a year. I am sorry but I cant remember the psu off the top of my head.

LittleBitties
(13 items)
PC of the Son.
(9 items)
CPU
ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard
ASRock X470 Gaming-ITX
GPU
ASRock Phantom Gaming X Radeon RX Vega 64
RAM
Ripjaws V 2x8GB 3333MHz
Hard Drive
Intel 660p M.2 512GB
Power Supply
EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 1000
Cooling
Corsair H100i v2
Case
Metallic Gear MGNE210 BLACK
Monitor
Viotek GN34C
Keyboard
Corsair K75 LUX
Mouse
Corsair M65 RGB
Mousepad
Corsair "speedmat?"
Audio
AKG K240 ( 1987 )
CPU
AMD Athlon 950
Motherboard
ASRock AB350M
GPU
Zotac GTX 1050Ti OC
RAM
GeIL EVO SPEAR 2x4GB DDR4-2400
Hard Drive
HP EX900 500GB M.2
Power Supply
Corsair CX450M
Cooling
AMD Wraith SPIRE RGB
Case
CM Q300L
Monitor
QNIX 2710
▲ hide details ▲
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 06:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 79 (Unique: 62)
Wow this is like a flashback to the bad old days, when we only had voltage control for pumps.

So, as has been said it isn't really possible to combine two D5 strong on the koolance controller. Well, you could, but it wouldn't last long and maybe catch fire.
The rpm wire on the D5 strong is just a feedback for speed with no control function. The pump speed is determined by voltage alone (well, by flow rate too but that is beside the point) so to control both pumps speed you will need two variable voltage supplies or one with enough wattage for both.

Twin D5 strong is an excessive amount of power so are you sure it is really needed?
As toolmaker said if the pumps are going into a single loop you could have a fair degree of flow control by running one pump at a fixed speed and controlling one. There is no problem with running them at differing speeds.

Otherwise a second controller is really a necessity. Boy I don't miss these problems at all. The rp452 is a great device, it was really useful to be able to use it for single loop, dual loop or just as a single pump. I always hated those pumps though.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
Smug, Jaded, Enervated.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ashcroft View Post
Wow this is like a flashback to the bad old days, when we only had voltage control for pumps.

So, as has been said it isn't really possible to combine two D5 strong on the koolance controller. Well, you could, but it wouldn't last long and maybe catch fire.
The rpm wire on the D5 strong is just a feedback for speed with no control function. The pump speed is determined by voltage alone (well, by flow rate too but that is beside the point) so to control both pumps speed you will need two variable voltage supplies or one with enough wattage for both.

Twin D5 strong is an excessive amount of power so are you sure it is really needed?
As toolmaker said if the pumps are going into a single loop you could have a fair degree of flow control by running one pump at a fixed speed and controlling one. There is no problem with running them at differing speeds.

Otherwise a second controller is really a necessity. Boy I don't miss these problems at all. The rp452 is a great device, it was really useful to be able to use it for single loop, dual loop or just as a single pump. I always hated those pumps though.
Ah I get it now, it was a bit late the other night, and my brain wasn't working up to scratch...yeah this gear is old, I bought a whole heap of stuff off of a guy (Silverstone TJ11, the res, controller, fittings, radiators, other bits and bobs) for $300aud, the stuff would of retailed all up for about $2500 back in the day, so I couldn't pass it up, so I'm just trying to put it all to use.

I guess I will just run one D5 strong on the controller, and either supplement its flow with a normal D5 running straight off of the PSU, or just get two D5 Strong's and have a 12v to 24v converter to power the uncontrolled pump at full 24V at all times.

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

Forever a WIP.
(15 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Asus CH7 Wifi.
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro N.
Monitor
Keyboard
Steelseries 6Gv2.
Mouse
Zowie EC2-A.
Mousepad
Puretrak Talent.
Audio
Other
▲ hide details ▲
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 01:17 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 79 (Unique: 62)
Quote: Originally Posted by GHADthc View Post
Ah I get it now, it was a bit late the other night, and my brain wasn't working up to scratch...yeah this gear is old, I bought a whole heap of stuff off of a guy (Silverstone TJ11, the res, controller, fittings, radiators, other bits and bobs) for $300aud, the stuff would of retailed all up for about $2500 back in the day, so I couldn't pass it up, so I'm just trying to put it all to use.

I guess I will just run one D5 strong on the controller, and either supplement its flow with a normal D5 running straight off of the PSU, or just get two D5 Strong's and have a 12v to 24v converter to power the uncontrolled pump at full 24V at all times.

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.
I think everyone should experience starting off with secondhand gear. Its how I got started too with a similar setup. It builds character, lets you make mistakes without them being super expensive and it really makes you appreciate the expensive stuff if and when you upgrade.

Water cooling gear hasn't changed all that much really. Its just more convenient, while the older stuff is just as effective.
Beware those pumps at 24 volts though mate. They have enough power to blow fittings off, speaking from personal experience, and give your system a nice bath. Water blocks and other parts are much more free flowing in general these days than the older stuff so the really strong pumps aren't required so much any more. I would recommend starting with 12V first and see how it works for you before going all out with the strongs.

Have fun with it mate, I know I sure did.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in