Best waterblock polishing cream? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Best waterblock polishing cream?

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
VolatilXplosion

Is there a preferred copper/nickel water block polishing cream? Which one is it if anyone knows? Also is this done by hand or can a polishing machine be used?
If not can you link me to a good block polisher? I might open my block up again to see if i can get is mirror polished as much as i can possibly thanks.

Last edited by VolatilXplosion; 02-03-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 01:54 AM
New to Overclock.net
white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about

Anything that isn't abrasive.
By hand I'd use microfiber and soapy water.
For tools you'd want some sort of rotating sponge or cloth, there are too many for me to list but as long as it isn't abrasive it should be ok.
IMO it would take more time with power tools since your blocks shouldn't be too stained or dirty. Simply rubbing them down with microfiber is probably all it would take.
I wouldn't use any polish, the blocks should have been polished from the factory and the only thing that will remove a polishing (on nickel) is abrasion.
Also becasue of this:
  • Its unique, finely mixed formula produces a rich, brilliant shine on any uncoated, non-ferrous, metal surface including, brass, gold, silver, aluminum, magnesium, pewter, chrome, sterling, copper and stainless steel (no nickel)
  • In addition to restoring the original luster, Simichrome also leaves an invisible, protective coating to prevent further tarnishing and help keep the shine much longer (you don't want an unknown coating in your loop)

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Last edited by white owl; 02-03-2019 at 04:02 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 01:54 AM
Kill Confirmed
speed_demon Level 1

Link takes me to OCN home page.

Any reason you can't use something mild like bar keepers friend? IIRC that's what I used on my swiftech apogee water block years ago. BKF instructions don't have any mention of nickel, good or otherwise however.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 01:57 AM
New to Overclock.net
Hwgeek Level 1

I got this white polishing Compounds(Green should be more fine):
look for this kind sticks:
https://www.banggood.com/WhiteGreenP...r_warehouse=CN
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
VolatilXplosion

The actual reason i am asking is not only for general polishing of nickel or copper waterblocks, but also because i have corrosion damage from the previous owner that has literally eaten away the nickel plating on my auros 1080ti in a dozen areas on the block, pretty harsh. I have thought about using some fin sandpaper in the troubled areas as long as i stay away from the areas that the o-ring sits although there is damage around that area also. Then after using fine sandpaper i was considering using a metal polish. At this point after using sandpaper does it even matter if the metal polish is abrasive?
I am not talking about the bottom where it sits on the chip, i am talking about the inner blocks metal where the water flows through like a gpus actual water channels are of the block.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
VolatilXplosion

Here is the block if you enlarge and look very closely you can see the damage EVERYWHERE especially around the edges chiped and damaged the whole way around and in the middle scattered all over. This is why i am trying to literally FIX this block because you literally CAN'T buy another one at this point for the auros 1080ti it is not produced or out of stock everywhere so i NEED to make this work Lol.

[Ps this was after a soapy water toothbrush scrub and 2 min vinegar bath so it is very clean revealing all the damage in all its glory ***
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190119_105959_1549213799493.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	4.48 MB
ID:	251320  

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:32 AM
New to Overclock.net
cloppy007 has a spectacular aura about cloppy007 has a spectacular aura about cloppy007 has a spectacular aura about cloppy007 has a spectacular aura about cloppy007 has a spectacular aura about cloppy007 has a spectacular aura about cloppy007 has a spectacular aura about cloppy007 has a spectacular aura about cloppy007 has a spectacular aura about cloppy007 has a spectacular aura about cloppy007 has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by VolatilXplosion View Post
Here is the block if you enlarge and look very closely you can see the damage EVERYWHERE especially around the edges chiped and damaged the whole way around and in the middle scattered all over. This is why i am trying to literally FIX this block because you literally CAN'T buy another one at this point for the auros 1080ti it is not produced or out of stock everywhere so i NEED to make this work Lol.

[Ps this was after a soapy water toothbrush scrub and 2 min vinegar bath so it is very clean revealing all the damage in all its glory ***
Unless any other member suggests a way to fix your nickel plating:

A prolonged vinegar bath will probably take out the remaining nickel, although it will take too long. Something like Viakal might be better. An automotive metal polisher might do the job easier, but you will need to rub (a used sock will do), with the added benefit that you can preserve the nickel plating on the underside.

I'm looking for a Thermalright bolt-thru kit
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 03:49 PM
New to Overclock.net
broodro0ster Level 1

It's probably damaged from the vinegar. The acid ate the nickel plating away... I don't think polish will fix this.
But to answer you question: I use automotive chrome polish (mothers) from my nickel blocks with a microfiber cloth. And to clean them, I use a toothbrush and toothpaste/polish

My Rig
(18 items)
CPU
Intel i7 8700k
Motherboard
Asus Hero X
GPU
MSI 1080TI Gaming X
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000C15
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair RM850X
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO
Cooling
Dual Hardware Labs Nemesis 360GTS with FD Venturi HP-12 PWM fans
Cooling
EK D5 PWM
Cooling
EK 1080 Strix waterblock + backplate
Case
Fractal Design Define R6
Operating System
Windows Pro 10
Monitor
Acer XB271HU 1440p 165hz IPS
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Zowie FK-2
Mousepad
Steel Series QCK Heavy
Audio
Sennheiser HD598 + ModMic 4.0
▲ hide details ▲
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
VolatilXplosion

Quote: Originally Posted by broodro0ster View Post
It's probably damaged from the vinegar. The acid ate the nickel plating away... I don't think polish will fix this.
But to answer you question: I use automotive chrome polish (mothers) from my nickel blocks with a microfiber cloth. And to clean them, I use a toothbrush and toothpaste/polish
Well i only dipped it in vinegar for 2 mins. The damage was done from the previous owner using only distilled water with no additives or coolant. In less than 1 year this happened. I have not installed the card yet i am gathering and prepping part in about 3 weeks i should have it running.

Thanks for your response i might try that i am considering opening up the block again and trying my hand with a polishing cream or even sand paper to smoothen out the plating damage. The problem is it is near the inner ridge of the o-ring aswell the o-ring should function properly but it still feels nervous being so close to that area. It is the ridge right before where the o-ring channel rides in.

Quote: Originally Posted by cloppy007 View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by VolatilXplosion View Post

Unless any other member suggests a way to fix your nickel plating:

A prolonged vinegar bath will probably take out the remaining nickel, although it will take too long. Something like Viakal might be better. An automotive metal polisher might do the job easier, but you will need to rub (a used sock will do), with the added benefit that you can preserve the nickel plating on the underside.

Honestly this is what i was going to do the first time, but i chickend out and only left it in for 2 mins vs 2 days. I am not a metal expert so i was unsure of what it would do to the actual copper if left in backing soda+vinegar bath for 2 days. I still wonder if i should do this. But i don't want a can of worms either as i have not seen documentation with pictures of someone soaking their nickel or copper block in vinegar for 2 days straight. I really wonder, darn.
Another interesting thing i saw was a "SS" stamped on the block, does this mean it is stainless steel coating? Not sure, it is the waterforce wb auros extreme 1080ti.

Last edited by ryan92084; 02-04-2019 at 05:30 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:37 AM
New to Overclock.net
white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about white owl has a spectacular aura about

Distilled water didn't do that lol
They used a silver coil I bet.

I'd clean it and use it.

Quote: Originally Posted by SpeedyVT
If you're not doing extreme things to parts for the sake of extreme things regardless of the part you're not a real overclocker.
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
The key is generally not which brands are good but which specific products are. Motherboards and GPUs are perfect examples of companies having everything from golden to garbage function/quality.
Hot n Bothered
(12 items)
CPU
4790k 4.7Ghz
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkII 2
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
16gb G.Skill Sniper 2400Mhz
Hard Drive
2x Kingston v300 120gb RAID 0
Hard Drive
WD Blue
Power Supply
Seasonic 620w M12 II EVO
Cooling
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Case
Corsair 450D
Operating System
Windows 10
Monitor
Nixeus EDG27
Other
I have pretty lights.
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in