To those who can hear high frequency - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

To those who can hear high frequency

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
NewType88 Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by broodro0ster View Post
This is what my D5 vario sounds like at full speed: https://youtu.be/n6S03fiI6pg

But’s noisy between level 2 and 3. Level 1 is super quiet, but not enough flow for a big loop. That why I prefer PWM now. The D5 vario is only for testing and testing parts in a loop on the bench.
That’s exactly what mine sounds like. Both of your pumps make this noise ? This will be the loudest part of my build ! Dead quiet PC with a high pitched ring. I’m not sure what to do.

Last edited by NewType88; 02-05-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
NewType88 Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by Darren9 View Post
I had to fully decouple mine to have it as quiet as I wanted, if you fix it to a res or the case or anything else it acts as a sound board and amplifies any sound. I ended up with the pump (D5 vario with an EK top) resting on two squares of gel with just soft tubing connecting it to the rest of the system. Before moving it to the bottom of the case sitting on gel when I changed cases I had it hanging off the top rad in mid air by the tubes. Both worked equally well.

I live in an isolated cottage with quite low ambient noise, at setting 3 it didn't make any noise and I had to touch it to be sure it was working.
Mine is decoupled and is on an external rad (mo-ra3) I don’t feel any vibration at any rpm, it all feels smooth.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 11:23 PM
New to Overclock.net
broodro0ster Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by NewType88 View Post
That’s exactly what mine sounds like. Both of your pumps make this noise ? This will be the loudest part of my build ! Dead quiet PC with a high pitched ring. I’m not sure what to do.

Yes, both pumps are this loud. But as I said before, my pc is dead quite because I turn down the pump for low workloads and idle. Only when the fans kick in, it speeds up. And in that case my fans are louder than the pump.

My Rig
(18 items)
CPU
Intel i7 8700k
Motherboard
Asus Hero X
GPU
MSI 1080TI Gaming X
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000C15
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair RM850X
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO
Cooling
Dual Hardware Labs Nemesis 360GTS with FD Venturi HP-12 PWM fans
Cooling
EK D5 PWM
Cooling
EK 1080 Strix waterblock + backplate
Case
Fractal Design Define R6
Operating System
Windows Pro 10
Monitor
Acer XB271HU 1440p 165hz IPS
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Zowie FK-2
Mousepad
Steel Series QCK Heavy
Audio
Sennheiser HD598 + ModMic 4.0
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net
NewType88 Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by broodro0ster View Post
Yes, both pumps are this loud. But as I said before, my pc is dead quite because I turn down the pump for low workloads and idle. Only when the fans kick in, it speeds up. And in that case my fans are louder than the pump.
I cant drown it out though, my fans at max are just 800rpm. Its super loud and I just hooked everything up and turned it down to its lowest setting and can still hear it. Its like tinnitus. If I cant stop this noise or find a pump that doesn't do this I'm going to go back to air.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 06:00 AM
New to Overclock.net
broodro0ster Level 1

I cant drown it out though, my fans at max are just 800rpm. Its super loud and I just hooked everything up and turned it down to its lowest setting and can still hear it. Its like tinnitus. If I cant stop this noise or find a pump that doesn't do this I'm going to go back to air.
Hmmm, once my fans spin at 800rpm I can't hear the pump at 3000rpm.
My system runs passive at idle with just the pump at 1500rpm and the HDD spinning. The noise of the HDD is louder than pump so I don't hear it.
And even when I disconnect the HDD, I can barely hear my pump.

You might have a bad pump or the loop isn't fully bleeded yet. Did you also think about decoupling the pump as much as possible? This also helps a lot.

If doesn't get any better, try to swap the pump. Also note that the PWM goes down to 800rpm while the non PWM version is around 1500-1800rpm at it lowest setting so thats also something to consider.

My Rig
(18 items)
CPU
Intel i7 8700k
Motherboard
Asus Hero X
GPU
MSI 1080TI Gaming X
RAM
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000C15
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 EVO
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 EVO
Power Supply
Corsair RM850X
Cooling
EK Supremacy EVO
Cooling
Dual Hardware Labs Nemesis 360GTS with FD Venturi HP-12 PWM fans
Cooling
EK D5 PWM
Cooling
EK 1080 Strix waterblock + backplate
Case
Fractal Design Define R6
Operating System
Windows Pro 10
Monitor
Acer XB271HU 1440p 165hz IPS
Keyboard
Corsair K70
Mouse
Zowie FK-2
Mousepad
Steel Series QCK Heavy
Audio
Sennheiser HD598 + ModMic 4.0
▲ hide details ▲
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 06:48 AM
ORL
H20 only!
ORL Level 1

It's been a while back (few years?). But there was someone like you who just couldn't handle the noise. So he relocated his pumps and rads into his basement and ran the tubing through the wall to external disconnects. His results were quite nice as well due to the cooler temps in the basement. I wouldn't even begin to know where to find the build log here and what it was called.

Doing something like this adds expense and time, but it would make draining a loop a breeze with external disconnects and gravity! It would also remove all of the noise you hear. I know its likely an unwelcome project though. It would however solve the issue.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 08:16 AM
Shooting down fallacies
ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about ciarlatano has a spectacular aura about

All of the D5s I've owned (or come into contact with) have the high pitched whine, but only above ~2300 rpm. If you are getting at lower speeds to the point it is invasive there may be an issue. Decoupling won't help the whine, unfortunately. I have always run D5s with a curve based on liquid temp, and that has them sitting at 1850rpm 90% of the time, so I never really found it to be an issue. DDCs tend to be worse in this regard, so that won't be a help. The Swiftech MCP50X may be a solution if you are running it at low-mid rpm, but if you are trying to run it full out it will get louder than a D5 - http://thermalbench.com/2015/01/05/s...mcp50x-pump/4/

Yeah....the little girl hentai avatar is really creeping me out....
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 08:43 AM
Constantly Evolving
maximus7651000 Level 1

I have the dual D5 pump top from EK with the res adapter (discontinued) and the high pitch whine coming from mine aren't as loud as that though I have had some that were like that if not louder. Currently running 2 Swiftech D5's set between 3-4 and they're very quiet. I have 3 Alphacool D5 varios and one of them is pretty loud as far as the high pitch whine (It's in my server in a separate room and I don't have to listen to it thankfully) where the other 2 were practically inaudible in comparison as well as my EK D5 Varios. I can't really say you have a faulty pump though considering that one noisy D5 I have is still going after 5+ years in my server and I was positive it was going to fail. My experience though is they all make some noise and being sensitive to high pitch sounds makes it quite annoying at times.

Quote:Originally Posted by HopeUTKN http://static.overclock.net//img/forum/go_quote.gif there was smoke in my room so I rapidly turned off my PSU, BUT the computer apparently restarted because the Desktop was showing on the screen. What do you think happened? and is the smoke dangerous? :S Quote:Originally Posted by zodac http://static.overclock.net//img/forum/go_quote.gif https://www.overclock.net/images/smilies/eek.gif I'm definitely gonna rig the prize draw pray that I get lucky and win that keyboard. https://www.overclock.net/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
900D
(22 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
Asus Maximus XI Extreme
GPU
EVGA GTX1080 Ti Hydro Copper
RAM
Corsair Dominator Platinum Torque Edition
Hard Drive
Samsung 970 Pro m.2 NVMe
Hard Drive
WD Black 4TB
Hard Drive
WD Black 6TB
Power Supply
Corsair AX 1200i
Cooling
EK-Supremecy EVO Elite Edition Full Nickel water blockEK X3 250 Res, EK D5 dual top, EK dual D5 XRES upgrade link, EK X3 mulitport top,
Cooling
Corsair SP120 high performance edition fans
Cooling
XSPC AX 480 top rad
Cooling
Alphacool UT 60 480 bottom rad
Case
Corsair 900D
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Monitor
Dell Ultrasharp U3014 30" 2560x1600
Monitor
Asus ROG Swift PG278Q 27" 2560x1440
Monitor
Samsung T260 25.5" 1920x1200
Keyboard
WASD Code 104 MX Clears / Deck Legend 105 Tactile MX Clears
Mouse
Razer
Mouse
Razer Mamba TE 16k DPI
Audio
SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatality Pro HD with LM4562 Op Amps
Audio
Klipsh Audio 5.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 08:53 AM
New to Overclock.net
Shawnb99 Level 1

Quote: Originally Posted by outofmyheadyo View Post
The reason I moved from water to air, D5 was even audible @ the lowest setting.

Wouldn’t your fans be louder on air then your pump ever was?

To the OP you ever consider another pump, though it does sound like it might have air in it.
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 11:43 AM
New to Overclock.net
outofmyheadyo Level 1

My fans were running 500rpm regardless of load, and d5 @ setting 1 was the loudest part, if u dont count coilwhine, but the D5 was constant all day err day, and that got annoying quick, I could even hear it when my case was under my table.

ROG X HERO | 8700K | Noctua NH-D15 | 2*8GB 3200C14 TridentZ | Strix RTX 2080 | 512GB Samsung 950Pro | 1TB ADATA SP920 | TT P5 | Corsair RM1000x | ASUS PG278Q | JBL LSR 305 | Mackie MR824 | Masterkeys L | Logitech G403 Wireless | LG 55B7V OLED | PS4 Pro.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in